Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Danny Woodcock

Jets Insider VIP
    Phoenix, AZ (New Jets Stadium Section 246)
    Post Thanks / Like

Danny Woodcock

Aside from Steve Weatherford I think Danny Woodhead is having the best Super Bowl.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    the rich irony

slit my wrists, shoot me in the head

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    ellis is actually getting a lot of burn.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    MVP

SAR I

Jets Insider VIP
    Phoenix, AZ (New Jets Stadium Section 246)
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4359263]MVP

SAR I[/QUOTE]

I blame Rex.

:P

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good for you Danny. How many players from Chadron state have a super bowl TD on their resume? Just you dude. Now get the fuk out of New England.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you NFL films

Hard Knocks featuring Danny Woodhead and the Jets

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    That why Tanny sucks as GM all I heard was how we would find talent leave no stone unturned and what happens they find some talent and give BB a present.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Woodhead has no business being in an NFL uniform and everyone knows it ;)

The new England Patriots are the only organisation in football who could possibly utilize his skill set and... everyone knows it.

I did "everyone knows it" already? Hrrm... I hate Danny Woodhead and Woodhead is a joke to people who really know football.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's clearly more talented than I gave him credit.

With that said, I stand by the fact that if he remained a Jet, Shotty and Co. would not have played him (he was #5 RB when cut), nor utilized his specific skillset at all.

It was the right move for us, and the right move for him (obviously).

And end of the day, we retained his competition, who is an All-Pro Kick Returner and big part of our team.

But no doubt Woodhead has shown he deserves to be in the league, earned his spot in N.E., and is a legit NFL player at Flankertailback.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    When it comes to guys like Woodhead, I'm not so annoyed about losing the talent (though I think we can put to rest the argument about whether or not the guy is an NFL caliber player at this point). It's that personnel decisions like this just show how far the Jets have strayed from the philosophy of looking for intense, try-hard, football-is-my-life, play-like-your-hair's-on-fire players. Ihedigbo is another that comes to mind. It's frustrating to see these guys playing their asses off and contributing for the Patriots.

I mean, obviously, a team isn't going to keep all these kinds of guys -- particularly if they're NOT top shelf talent. But you need to keep a solid core of these guys, and it just seems that the Jets let too many walk in too short a time. The bottom end of the roster should be full of this type of guy, and they don't all need to be on rookie deals -- once in a while it's OK to pay to retain some leadership.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would take Woodhead over McKnight on my team any day. Football is not a beauty pageant of size and speed. Football is played by men with heart hence my pick of Woodhead.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=gaffneycatch;4360959]When it comes to guys like Woodhead, I'm not so annoyed about losing the talent (though I think we can put to rest the argument about whether or not the guy is an NFL caliber player at this point). It's that personnel decisions like this just show how far the Jets have strayed from the philosophy of looking for intense, try-hard, football-is-my-life, play-like-your-hair's-on-fire players. Ihedigbo is another that comes to mind. It's frustrating to see these guys playing their asses off and contributing for the Patriots.

I mean, obviously, a team isn't going to keep all these kinds of guys -- particularly if they're NOT top shelf talent. But you need to keep a solid core of these guys, and it just seems that the Jets let too many walk in too short a time. The bottom end of the roster should be full of this type of guy, and they don't all need to be on rookie deals -- once in a while it's OK to pay to retain some leadership.[/QUOTE]

Translation: The NY Jets pulled a Dan Snyder in the quest to get "over the top"? Dump the reliable locker room veteran team-first guys and lunchbox guys for names and bad attitude, higher talent, higher risk types?

I can agree with that to some degree.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Queens Jet Fan;4360961]I would take Woodhead over McKnight on my team any day. Football is not a beauty pageant of size and speed. Football is played by men with heart hence my pick of Woodhead.[/QUOTE]

How many carries you think Shotty was giving Woodhead behind LT, Greene and McKnight (was despite fan hate, wasn't going anywhere)?

Would Woodhead have been an All-Pro Kick Returner?

Youw ant Woodhead blcoking for Snachez, turnstile that Woodhead is back there? Or you think Sanchez would throw him 100 catches in the flat, Penny style?

While Woodhead has proven he can play in the Pats system, what do you really think was going to happen with him here, under Shotty, with LT and Greene and McKnight ahead of him on the roster? Not what you want, but what would have actually happened?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4360917]He's clearly more talented than I gave him credit.

[/QUOTE]

So...the posters who spoke up for him...arent in fact racists, but talented evaluators of talent?

WHo knew.

-

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=32green;4360976]So...the posters who spoke up for him...arent in fact racists, but talented evaluators of talent?

WHo knew.

-[/QUOTE]

I was his biggest supporter.... so I am +1 on this.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=32green;4360976]So...the posters who spoke up for him...arent in fact racists, but talented evaluators of talent?

WHo knew.

-[/QUOTE]

Never gonna let that go, eh Green?;)

My view on that aspect has yet to change, nor will it. I remain quite convinced that for some (some, not all. never said all even back then), the idea of a "gutsy white runningback, low on talent, big on heart and guts, succeeding at a black man's position" amongt the Jets white male fans played a part in his over-the-top popularity, popularity which far excceding anything he actually did on the field in a Jets uniform.

The reverse has also historicly been true re: African Americans and African American QB's. Not all blacks root for a black QB for that reason, but some do and did.

If I overstated that position, or went further than this, then well, thats me, I overstate alot of things. I'm wrong as often (more) than right, and I bloviate like few others. But if you really, honestly, think race and "Rudy-ness" played no part on Woodheads huge popularity in NY, well, I think thats naive tbh. May not have been as widespread as I indicated, but it was absolutely a factor. And frankly, there is nothing wrong with that.
    Last edited by Warfish; 02-06-2012 at 01:58 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Woodhead has a lot of talent. 4.3 speed is what I'd call talent. Breaking Barry Sanders' record takes talent. Blame the coaching staff for not being creative enough to use him.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4360968]How many carries you think Shotty was giving Woodhead behind LT, Greene and McKnight (was despite fan hate, wasn't going anywhere)?

Would Woodhead have been an All-Pro Kick Returner?

Youw ant Woodhead blcoking for Snachez, turnstile that Woodhead is back there? Or you think Sanchez would throw him 100 catches in the flat, Penny style?

While Woodhead has proven he can play in the Pats system, what do you really think was going to happen with him here, under Shotty, with LT and Greene and McKnight ahead of him on the roster? Not what you want, but what would have actually happened?[/QUOTE]
    Umm maybe more carries the McKnight got? Wouldn't have to be a lot to accomplish that. I think he could have helped us when LT and Greene were banged up. Yeah I think Woodhead is every bit the kick returner McKnight is and I think Woodhead is also a better special teams tackler then McKnight. He is every bit the receiver out of the backfield that McKnight is if not better. Probably McKnight's most valuable play for us last year was the blocked punt against Dallas. Even though McKnight had poor technique on the play I grant you that was a play Woodhead could not have made. Without that play we don't beat Dallas.

Clearly Woodhead is better utilized on the Pats then he would have been here but that doesn't change my opinion that I would rather have Woodhead on my team then McKnight.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Queens Jet Fan;4361010]Umm maybe more carries the McKnight got? Wouldn't have to be a lot to accomplish that.[/quote]

Except we know that McKnight was favored by Rex, Shotty and the FO over Woodhead.

So no, if Woodhead was kept, that doesn;t assume he suddenly jumps up the depth chart.

[QUOTE]Yeah I think Woodhead is every bit the kick returner McKnight is[/QUOTE]

The All-Pro voters disagree with you.

[QUOTE]Clearly Woodhead is better utilized on the Pats then he would have been here[/QUOTE]

The only part that matters. He would not and was not utilized here, and did not fit the system here.

Everything else is fantasy speculation.

[quote]but that doesn't change my opinion that I would rather have Woodhead on my team then McKnight.[/QUOTE]

You can still root for him if you really want.;)