Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: And thats the loophole in the NFL Rulebook

And thats the loophole in the NFL Rulebook

On the Patriots last drive, not on the last play (since game cant end on a defensive penalty) but on a few of their last plays the Giants should have put their entire 53 man roster on the field to play defense in order to milk the clock. Sounds crazy right? But its true. Ive said it all year, it doesnt make any sense how there is no such thing as a a pre-snap too many men on the field penalty on the defense. Its only on the defense once the ball is snapped.

To combat this, the best the Patriots can do is snap the ball and spike it which would run 2 seconds off the clock. Do that enough times and you leave the Patriots with 1 play left to score (since game cant end on a defensive penalty).

As you saw, this was critical on the Pats last drive. With 17 seconds left, they had a play run 8 seconds off the clock where the Giants have 12 men on the field. 5 Yard penalty on the Giants. But good play for the Giants! Why wouldnt they trade the 5 yards for an 8 second runoff?

To combat this loophole, either:
    A. Make too many men on the field a pre snap penalty on defenses (just like it is on the offense), or
    B. As my roomate suggested, make too many men on the field penalty in the last 2 minutes of the half, so that the offense should be awarded the yards AND the clock should revert to the amount of time that was left before the play started.

Jets Insider VIP
    I was thinking the same thing. Gotta put the time back on the clock there.

[QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;4359801]I was thinking the same thing. Gotta put the time back on the clock there.[/QUOTE]

+1.

We were screaming at the TV "put 20 guys back there!"

Would have been hysterical if it ended that way. You can bet Belichick will do that now that he's seen it in action.

SAR I

Hall Of Fame
    YES.

I was thinking the exact same thing. That is an injustice. But when every other rule is bias towards the offense, it is nice to see something like that settle the score..

[QUOTE=jetglass;4359796]On the Patriots last drive, not on the last play (since game cant end on a defensive penalty) but on a few of their last plays the Giants should have put their entire 53 man roster on the field to play defense in order to milk the clock. Sounds crazy right? But its true. Ive said it all year, it doesnt make any sense how there is no such thing as a a pre-snap too many men on the field penalty on the defense. Its only on the defense once the ball is snapped.

To combat this, the best the Patriots can do is snap the ball and spike it which would run 2 seconds off the clock. Do that enough times and you leave the Patriots with 1 play left to score (since game cant end on a defensive penalty).

As you saw, this was critical on the Pats last drive. With 17 seconds left, they had a play run 8 seconds off the clock where the Giants have 12 men on the field. 5 Yard penalty on the Giants. But good play for the Giants! Why wouldnt they trade the 5 yards for an 8 second runoff?

A. Make too many men on the field a pre snap penalty on defenses (just like it is on the offense), or
    B. As my roomate suggested, make too many men on the field penalty in the last 2 minutes of the half, so that the offense should be awarded the yards AND the clock should revert to the amount of time that was left before the play started.[/QUOTE]

+1 Thought the same exact thing myself.

All League
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4359805]+1.

Would have been hysterical if it ended that way. You can bet Belichick will do that now that he's seen it in action.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

"With 20 seconds to go, it seems that the patriots punt team has joined the defense on the field.... this won't end well"

good point. it should be the oppisite of the offensive penelty in the last 2 minutes where there is a 15 second runnoff. Just put the time back on the clock. The reason they dont is because it is considered a live ball foul.[QUOTE=jetglass;4359796]On the Patriots last drive, not on the last play (since game cant end on a defensive penalty) but on a few of their last plays the Giants should have put their entire 53 man roster on the field to play defense in order to milk the clock. Sounds crazy right? But its true. Ive said it all year, it doesnt make any sense how there is no such thing as a a pre-snap too many men on the field penalty on the defense. Its only on the defense once the ball is snapped.

B. As my roomate suggested, make too many men on the field penalty in the last 2 minutes of the half, so that the offense should be awarded the yards AND the clock should revert to the amount of time that was left before the play started.[/QUOTE]

All League
    Your premise assumes the Pats knew there were 12 men before the snap? If so, then the Pats should throw a high risk play. If its picked, doesn't matter, still get the ball and 5 yards. What if you get a PI call? First down at the spot.

If you know there's a penalty on the D before any snap, then you can do whatever you want with that play. You will, at worst, always maintain possession with penalty yards tacked on.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=Big L;4359839]Your premise assumes the Pats knew there were 12 men before the snap? If so, then the Pats should throw a high risk play. If its picked, doesn't matter, still get the ball and 5 yards. What if you get a PI call? First down at the spot.

If you know there's a penalty on the D before any snap, then you can do whatever you want with that play. You will, at worst, always maintain possession with penalty yards tacked on.[/QUOTE]

If the pats knew that there would be a penalty, they would simply clock the ball.....I don't think they can do that though because you can't be sure that it was called or that there were indeed 12 guys. Plus, it's pretty hard to complete that deep ball with 2 deep safeties and a blitz coming.

It's definitely a glitch in the rules that could use to be addressed.

I was thinking the same thing. In that situation, what incentive does a coach have to not put 12 men on the field on every single play? You have a much better chance of stopping the deep ball and all that happens is they gain 5 yards. The worst possible outcome is that you get a pick and it gets called back. But, with 20 seconds left with the other team on the 40, 12 men on the field until the end of the game is the smart play. All you need to do is prevent the deep ball.

Good coaching from Coughlin.

Smart play

[QUOTE=Big L;4359839]Your premise assumes the Pats knew there were 12 men before the snap? If so, then the Pats should throw a high risk play. If its picked, doesn't matter, still get the ball and 5 yards. What if you get a PI call? First down at the spot.

If you know there's a penalty on the D before any snap, then you can do whatever you want with that play. You will, at worst, always maintain possession with penalty yards tacked on.[/QUOTE]

So what? That high risk play will come against more than 11 defenders on the field? The yards dont matter at that point, or matter minimally compared to the precious few seconds left on the clock.

There are so many rules in this great sport and some are just so complex that the referees have no shot anymore...fumbles that are recovered but are not fumbles because the whistle blew, offsides if the ol moves but was provoked...

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

[QUOTE=SAR I;4359805]+1.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

Haha. Pretty much the same thing here. Except I said put your whole 53 man roster on the field. Even call up your practice squad players onto the field and make it 11 on 60.

[QUOTE=3rd_Times_A_Charm;4359873]I was thinking the same thing. In that situation, what incentive does a coach have to not put 12 men on the field on every single play? You have a much better chance of stopping the deep ball and all that happens is they gain 5 yards. The worst possible outcome is that you get a pick and it gets called back. But, with 20 seconds left with the other team on the 40, 12 men on the field until the end of the game is the smart play. All you need to do is prevent the deep ball.

Good coaching from Coughlin.[/QUOTE]

It was okay coaching from couglin. Good coaching would have been to put maybe 13-15 defenders on the field. Or at least as many more as possible without the Patriots noticing too easily.

It sounds like everyone thought the same thing as it happen with like 9 seconds left in the game, but did it ever occur to anybody before tonight's game. I can't say it did to me. What a great way to stick it to Bill Bellicheck, I would've loved to see Coughlin say "hey, that works" and then do it two or so more time before ending the game on the next play. I think the look on BB face would have been priceless.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=3rd_Times_A_Charm;4359873]I was thinking the same thing. In that situation, what incentive does a coach have to not put 12 men on the field on every single play? You have a much better chance of stopping the deep ball and all that happens is they gain 5 yards. The worst possible outcome is that you get a pick and it gets called back. But, with 20 seconds left with the other team on the 40, 12 men on the field until the end of the game is the smart play. All you need to do is prevent the deep ball.

Good coaching from Coughlin.[/QUOTE]

It wasn't good coaching by Coughlin - Tuck just didn't get off the field in time. It just made you realize the potential for abuse of the way the rile is written. The giants, though, did not really take advantage of it.

Buddy Ryan used to do this all the time, he actually called it the "Polish defense". This loophole has been around for ages.

I just found a write up on it.

[url]http://smartfootball.com/defense/buddy-ryans-polish-goalline-tactic[/url]

[QUOTE=movethechains;4359911]It sounds like everyone thought the same thing as it happen with like 9 seconds left in the game, but did it ever occur to anybody before tonight's game. I can't say it did to me. What a great way to stick it to Bill Bellicheck, I would've loved to see Coughlin say "hey, that works" and then do it two or so more time before ending the game on the next play. I think the look on BB face would have been priceless.[/QUOTE]

I did!!!! If you look back at our message board history you will see I started a post around weeks 15 or 16 I think it was where I started a thread involving NFL rules that should be changed. One of them I suggested, was making too many men on the field a pre snap penalty on the defense, just like it already is in the offense.

When I started this post, I wasnt thinking strictly from a time wasting perspective like the Giants did, but more from a strategic perspective in not allowing the offense to know which defenders would be on the field on a any given play. I was saying just put 20 guys in your defensive huddle, and once you see their formation you run 9 guys off just before the snap.

[QUOTE=Snell41;4360391]Buddy Ryan used to do this all the time, he actually called it the "Polish defense". This loophole has been around for ages.

I just found a write up on it.

[url]http://smartfootball.com/defense/buddy-ryans-polish-goalline-tactic[/url][/QUOTE]

Nice find!