Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Seriously, where does Eli rank?

[QUOTE=SlickBri481;4360065]This was a weak SB MVP. Nicks should have gotten it[/QUOTE]

75% percentage, 300 yards, a TD, no turnovers and huge clutch throws and a GW drive.. Eli deserved it. That throw to Manningham was just so perfect

[QUOTE=Sanchise;4360067]75% percentage, 300 yards, a TD, no turnovers and huge clutch throws and a GW drive.. Eli deserved it. That throw to Manningham was just so perfect[/QUOTE]

He played well. I don't think this was a game about Eli though. I think this was game about Brady and Belicheck dropping the ball bigtime

[QUOTE=TRAVIS BICKLE;4360057]2 SB's MVP'S Trump any crap things he ever did/does..sad to say:([/QUOTE]

Who am I to argue with you when you have a pic of a rack like that staring me in my face. ;) It is 10:15 pm as I sit here waiting to catch the red eye back east. Please cover that as my flight has wifi. I need to catch my zzzz on the flight and NOT be distracted.

Pre Spygate 3 Titles; Post Spygate 0

[QUOTE=Vin;4360030]If Eli wins another Ring, THEN he's HOF-bound.[/QUOTE]
    Wait. So winning 2 SB's isn't enough to get into the Hall of Fame?

Eli is good...but I have never in my life seen a player as lucky as he is either. The two SB catches, the fumbles that they recovered that bounced the right way yesterday, the int last SB around that was dropped. All the credit he got in the SF game when it was two fumbles that won them the game. The drops in the GB game. Welker dropping the pass, Romo overthrowing wide open receiver in Dallas. Cruz fumbling in Arizona that was miraculously called down by contact. Any of a bunch of things don't happen he doesn't win.

No one would take him over Brees, Brady and Rodgers. But he won 2 SB's so he can't be all luck but boy does he have a lot of it.

We seem to have forgotten about ........... Rothlisberger. So I'm thinking the list would be more like this:

Brady-3 SB wins
    Rothlisberger-2 SB wins
    Eli Manning-2 SB wins
    Brees-1 SB win
    Rodgers-1 SB win
    Sanchez*-4 Playoff Road wins

*Just kidding about the 6th rated SB QB, but I can dream can't I? :D

[QUOTE=el_dub80;4360137]We seem to have forgotten about ........... Rothlisberger. So I'm thinking the list would be more like this:

Brady-3 SB wins
    Rothlisberger-2 SB wins
    Eli Manning-2 SB wins
    Brees-1 SB win
    Rodgers-1 SB win
    Sanchez*-4 Playoff Road wins

*Just kidding about the 6th rated SB QB, but I can dream can't I? :D[/QUOTE]

People will always say how great Brady was, but then they will remember that Eli outplayed him in the biggest stage not once but 2 times.

Eli is a better pressure player and big game qb... You can't argue this.
    Last edited by Monsterxman; 02-06-2012 at 07:27 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    I dont know about the current hierarchy of QBs but what I will say is:

Eli's 2 > Brady's 3.

Brady was along for the ride most of the time and he relied on his kicker to win those games for him.

Eli has put his team on his back now twice in the SB and has led them on TD drives when they needed it most.

I think Eli is already a HoFer. Even if this was his first "great" season. He is not first-ballot yet but 2 SBs, 2 SB MVPs and doing it in NY. Pretty impressive. Heck, he might have 3 if Plaxico didn't shoot himself in the leg.

Last time Eli won the super bowl he had a good postseason only. His regular season sucked -- 27 TOs, 24 TDs. The next three seasons zero playoff wins with a ridiculous amt of turnovers. But this season he was a stud all year. But if he struggles again next year I think he will be known as a very good player who stepped up on occasion. Really the guy is a career 59 percent passer and he's already 31. Can't take those SBs away from him though

Hall Of Fame
    Im am too young to remember Montana in his prime.

All I know is that Eli Manning is the best big-game QB I have ever seen.

Jets Insider VIP
    JI Staff Photographer

[QUOTE=DDNYjets;4360151]I dont know about the current hierarchy of QBs but what I will say is:

Eli's 2 > Brady's 3.

Brady was along for the ride most of the time and he relied on his kicker to win those games for him.

Eli has put his team on his back now twice in the SB and has led them on TD drives when they needed it most.

I think Eli is already a HoFer. Even if this was his first "great" season. He is not first-ballot yet but 2 SBs, 2 SB MVPs and doing it in NY. Pretty impressive. Heck, he might have 3 if Plaxico didn't shoot himself in the leg.[/QUOTE]

So true. Eli wrote his ticket last night. He threw some incredible balls into 2 man coverage that were right on. Broadway Joe got in because of one season, beating a heavily-favored team and establishing the AFL as an equal. Eli has beaten an undefeated, heavily-favored, 'storied' franchise in a magical game, and capped it by beating the same 'storied' franchise again, after winning two road playoff games against teams that should have won. This guy comes up big in the biggest games. I would take him over any QB playing the game right now.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=rorjets;4360200]So true. Eli wrote his ticket last night. He threw some incredible balls into 2 man coverage that were right on. Broadway Joe got in because of one season, beating a heavily-favored team and establishing the AFL as an equal. Eli has beaten an undefeated, heavily-favored, 'storied' franchise in a magical game, and capped it by beating the same 'storied' franchise again, after winning two road playoff games against teams that should have won. This guy comes up big in the biggest games. I would take him over any QB playing the game right now.[/QUOTE]

I like the Namath comparison. But like you said Namath is in the HoF as a player and a contributor (SB3 led to the NFL). And yes, if Namath is in than Eli is a lock.

Another thing I would to say about Eli is that he might be the toughest QB I have ever seen. Again similar to Namath, who was a tough SOB in his own right.

Ernie Accorsi went to bed with a smile on his face last night.

I was thinking that in the NFL, it pays to suck at the right time. Giants sucked in 2003 and that resulted in a franchise QB. When the Jets sucked, they got Keyshawn Johnson. In the NFL you are better off being the Detroit Lions or the Patriots. It doesn't pay to be in the middle of the pack, bc you will never get better, or at the least, the odds are stacked against you.

[QUOTE=Vin;4360030]If Eli wins another Ring, THEN he's HOF-bound.[/QUOTE]

Uh, he's HOF right. Now!

Jets Insider VIP
    JI Staff Photographer

[QUOTE=DDNYjets;4360205]I like the Namath comparison. But like you said Namath is in the HoF as a player and a contributor (SB3 led to the NFL). And yes, if Namath is in than Eli is a lock.

Another thing I would to say about Eli is that he might be the toughest QB I have ever seen. Again similar to Namath, who was a tough SOB in his own right.

I was thinking that in the NFL, it pays to suck at the right time. Giants sucked in 2003 and that resulted in a franchise QB. When the Jets sucked, they got Keyshawn Johnson. In the NFL you are better off being the Detroit Lions or the Patriots. It doesn't pay to be in the middle of the pack, bc you will never get better, or at the least, the odds are stacked against you.[/QUOTE]

Can you imagine what it must feel like for Charger fans? They had Eli and were basically forced to trade him. And I think that it's apparent that Rivers is the opposite of Eli - great numbers & stats but comes up small in the big games.

All League
    Why must we rank?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=DDNYjets;4360205]I like the Namath comparison. But like you said Namath is in the HoF as a player and a contributor (SB3 led to the NFL). And yes, if Namath is in than Eli is a lock.

[B]Another thing I would to say about Eli is that he might be the toughest QB I have ever seen[/B]. Again similar to Namath, who was a tough SOB in his own right.

I was thinking that in the NFL, it pays to suck at the right time. Giants sucked in 2003 and that resulted in a franchise QB. When the Jets sucked, they got Keyshawn Johnson. In the NFL you are better off being the Detroit Lions or the Patriots. It doesn't pay to be in the middle of the pack, bc you will never get better, or at the least, the odds are stacked against you.[/QUOTE]

They didn't change rules till 1978 and many times after.. Before that QB's were fair game to be pounded it was a totally different game.. No 5 yard rules, D-lineman could hit the helmet of O-lineman that were restricted in the way they could block.. DB's could practically mug W/R's in their routes.. After the first rule change Steeler LB Jack Lambert said why not just make the QB's wear a dress if they want to be treated like girls..

He just needs to play for a few more years, and be successful for longevity - and he's in the HOF. The way he's playing now, you can't dispute he's elite right now. He beat Rodgers, the league MVP, in the playoffs - on the road, to get to the NFCCG. Lucky or not (for the Giants' big "breaks"), he is what he is, and that's elite.

[QUOTE=rorjets;4360200]This guy comes up big in the biggest games. I would take him over any QB playing the game right now.[/QUOTE]

this year I'd take him. but Eli and the giants didn't make it to the biggest games in the past few years because of eli. he was a turnover machine with poor decision making the past 3 years and even in his first SB run, he was a mediocre at best QB. he's made the playoffs in five seasons -- two super bowl wins, 1 and done the other three times. but no doubt this year he was great. guy is a 58 percent passer and just 60 in the playoffs. he gets helped by a stout D, IMO

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=rorjets;4360222]Can you imagine what it must feel like for Charger fans? They had Eli and were basically forced to trade him. And I think that it's apparent that Rivers is the opposite of Eli - great numbers & stats but comes up small in the big games.[/QUOTE]

I agree somewhat. But I think people are way too hard on Rivers. I remember watching him nearly defeat an undefeated Patriot team on a torn ACL. Rivers is just as tough as Eli and he is as fierce a competitor as Brady. Giants are a better organization and I think that is what has set them apart.

River was not the problem with the Chargers. They are soft at important positions and have had spineless HCs.

[QUOTE=Savage69;4360233]They didn't change rules till 1978 and many times after.. Before that QB's were fair game to be pounded it was a totally different game.. No 5 yard rules, D-lineman could hit the helmet of O-lineman that were restricted in the way they could block.. DB's could practically mug W/R's in their routes.. After the first rule change Steeler LB Jack Lambert said why not just make the QB's wear a dress if they want to be treated like girls..[/QUOTE]

I agree. But like I said, I am too young and never seen any of these guys play, except for on tape.

I began watching the NFL regularly around '92-93. So my window into history is small and I can only go off of what I have seen. And since then, I think Eli is the toughest I have seen. I have never been more impressed than I was when I watched him in the SF game. He was looking out of his ear-hole the entire second-half. Never flinched.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=DDNYjets;4360251]I agree somewhat. But I think people are way too hard on Rivers. I remember watching him nearly defeat an undefeated Patriot team on a torn ACL. Rivers is just as tough as Eli and he is as fierce a competitor as Brady. Giants are a better organization and I think that is what has set them apart.

River was not the problem with the Chargers. They are soft at important positions and have had spineless HCs.

I agree. But like I said, I am too young and never seen any of these guys play, except for on tape.

I began watching the NFL regularly around '92-93. So my window into history is small and I can only go off of what I have seen. [B] And since then, I think Eli is the toughest I have seen[/B]. I have never been more impressed than I was when I watched him in the SF game. He was looking out of his ear-hole the entire second-half. Never flinched.[/QUOTE]

He's good but I think Ben Roethlisberger is the toughest in your time frame..