Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Seriously, where does Eli rank?

that whole Chargers fiasco is why I crap on Eli a lot. I mean Peyton went to the crappy Colts and pretty much turned them around single-handedly. Eli, he gets daddy Archie on his side and cries that he won't play in San Diego and forces a trade to a team with most parts in place. That is total crap. you think Andrew Luck is gonna do that? nope. Eli and John Elway will always be linked that way to me. and they each get rewarded with super bowls. I guess it's ok to teach our kids to make a stink if you don't want to go somewhere

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=BamaJets;4360264]that whole Chargers fiasco is why I crap on Eli a lot. I mean Peyton went to the crappy Colts and pretty much turned them around single-handedly. Eli, he gets daddy Archie on his side and cries that he won't play in San Diego and forces a trade to a team with most parts in place. That is total crap. you think Andrew Luck is gonna do that? nope. Eli and John Elway will always be linked that way to me. and they each get rewarded with super bowls. I guess it's ok to teach our kids to make a stink if you don't want to go somewhere[/QUOTE]

That was more Archie than Eli.

Chargers were a joke in 2004. Archie played his entire career in NO when they were a joke. He did not want his son to have to suffer through the same thing.

He was right.

[QUOTE=DDNYjets;4360266]That was more Archie than Eli.

Chargers were a joke in 2004. Archie played his entire career in NO when they were a joke. He did not want his son to have to suffer through the same thing.

He was right.[/QUOTE]

Eli said it first, then archie became the leader. Doesn't matter. you make the best of the situation you are in. move teams when you become a free agent. archie also complains when JOe BUck and Aikman don't say nice things about Eli. come on, bush league stuff

All League
    Top 4-5 QBs in the league right now. After this past season...

1. Rodgers
    2. Brees
    3. Brady
    4. Eli Manning
    5. Peyton--in or out of the league, he is up there

[QUOTE=BamaJets;4360264]that whole Chargers fiasco is why I crap on Eli a lot. I mean Peyton went to the crappy Colts and pretty much turned them around single-handedly. Eli, he gets daddy Archie on his side and cries that he won't play in San Diego and forces a trade to a team with most parts in place. That is total crap. you think Andrew Luck is gonna do that? nope. Eli and John Elway will always be linked that way to me. and they each get rewarded with super bowls. I guess it's ok to teach our kids to make a stink if you don't want to go somewhere[/QUOTE]

This is one of the reasons I hate the Mannings...you are going to be the freaking #1 pick making millions yet you ***** and moan dictate where you are going to play...this is why people hate pro athletes..they all feel entitled and are spoiled..

It's a shame because if Peyton ever had a defense anything near the Giants then he'd have won so many super bowls... Unfortunately some people are never going to understand how great he was.

All Pro
    He's a HOFer. Almost every QB with two rings is in the HOF.

As far as "where does he legitimately stand in today's NFL?"

Hard to say. I can't rank him quite at the top because in reality, he's only had one elite season -- most of his success in the past has been due to those around him whereas this season he put him great numbers and was clearly the one putting the team on his back.

I'd probably rank them

1. Rodgers
    2. Brady
    3. Peyton
    4. Brees
    5. Eli

But going forward I'd rather have Eli than everyone on that list save Rodgers.

Peyton fully healthy I rank them:

1. Peyton
    2. Brady
    3. Rodgers
    4. Eli
    5. Brees

Regular season is one thing, the top 5 this year is how I'd rank them.

But even since he was at Ole Miss, Eli's borderline mental handicap as a normal person means he's a savant at QB.

He is completely oblivious to anything that's going on around him and he plays QB like that. He gets lit up but still squeezes out the pass to Bradshaw against the Niners for instance.

Coming out of Ole Miss he played with a pile of crap surrounding him but still that team would upset people just because I don't know if I've ever seen such a bizarre conundrum of a person/player.

I bet his teammates were all hyping each other up for the game before the start but Eli was probably building a house out of legos or trying to figure out what he wanted on his sundae that his wife promised him after the game.........

I mean it's that weird.

He is far and away the best active QB in the post season due to his obliviousness to anything going on around him.......

In the regular season I'd rank Rodgers, Brees, and Brady higher. But in the playoffs I'd take this guy over all of them. If Peyton's healthy, he's certainly a better regular season QB, too, but I think after he's cut, he's going to retire.
    Last edited by PMarsico9; 02-06-2012 at 10:21 AM.

Eli is a HOF QB.

He doesn't even have to win another Super Bowl. All he really needs is a few more years of being a good QB and maybe having a few more playoff games.

That's it.

It is weird because I always knew Eli was good, but it is kind of hard for me to believe he is as good as he is.

I wish Pennington had the kind of career that Eli was having. I always thought Chad was the guy. He was the guy that could have done that. I think people forget how GOOD he was before he got hurt.

I never thought Sanchez was the guy, but Chad could have been like Eli.

[QUOTE=John_0515;4360236]He just needs to play for a few more years, and be successful for longevity - and he's in the HOF. The way he's playing now, you can't dispute he's elite right now. He beat Rodgers, the league MVP, in the playoffs - on the road, to get to the NFCCG. Lucky or not (for the Giants' big "breaks"), he is what he is, and that's elite.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely 100% true :yes:

[QUOTE=PMarsico9;4360390]Regular season is one thing, the top 5 this year is how I'd rank them.

[B]But even since he was at Ole Miss, Eli's borderline mental handicap as a normal person means he's a savant at QB.[/B]

He is completely oblivious to anything that's going on around him and he plays QB like that. He gets lit up but still squeezes out the pass to Bradshaw against the Niners for instance.

Coming out of Ole Miss he played with a pile of crap surrounding him but still that team would upset people just because I don't know if I've ever seen such a bizarre conundrum of a person/player.

I bet his teammates were all hyping each other up for the game before the start but Eli was probably building a house out of legos or trying to figure out what he wanted on his sundae that his wife promised him after the game.........

I mean it's that weird.

He is far and away the best active QB in the post season due to his obliviousness to anything going on around him.......

In the regular season I'd rank Rodgers, Brees, and Brady higher. But in the playoffs I'd take this guy over all of them. If Peyton's healthy, he's certainly a better regular season QB, too, but I think after he's cut, he's going to retire.[/QUOTE]

You know, I kinda thought that about Eli as well, but he's proved us all wrong this playoff season and this Super Bowl. He obviously can read defenses, and make the quick throw, I'm impressed. If the Jets don't do something about it, there will be dynasty talk going on here in New York :eek:

[QUOTE=el_dub80;4360420]You know, I kinda thought that about Eli as well, but he's proved us all wrong this playoff season and this Super Bowl. He obviously can read defenses, and make the quick throw, I'm impressed. If the Jets don't do something about it, there will be dynasty talk going on here in New York :eek:[/QUOTE]

That's my point though.

I'm not doubting that he can.

I'm saying that I'm surprised he can make such clutch surgical throws on sick reads under crazy pressure with guys hanging on him despite when I see him not in a uniform or during interviews I'm wonder how the hell somebody like that makes it day-to-day.

I mean he really strikes me as somebody with some sort of handicap. But what I'm trying to articulate is that whatever his "disability" is, it's part of what makes him so good in the clutch.

he's on the level with Brady, Brees, and Rodgers. I don't even have Peyton there anymore because we don't know if he's healthy or if he ever will be the same again.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=JetKoz;4360403]Eli is a HOF QB.

He doesn't even have to win another Super Bowl. All he really needs is a few more years of being a good QB and maybe having a few more playoff games.

That's it.

It is weird because I always knew Eli was good, but it is kind of hard for me to believe he is as good as he is.

I wish Pennington had the kind of career that Eli was having. I always thought Chad was the guy. He was the guy that could have done that. I think people forget how GOOD he was before he got hurt.

I never thought Sanchez was the guy, but Chad could have been like Eli.[/QUOTE]

Yes. Yes. Yes.

It is a travesty that Chad did not have Mark's shoulder. Chad had everything, except an arm. Chad could have been better than Eli. More accurate, better decision maker.

It is a cruel for Jets fans that guys like Sanchez get all the physical tools (except height) but have sh*t for brains and guys like Chad have everything else but sh*t for a shoulder.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=JetKoz;4360403]Eli is a HOF QB.

That's it.

I never thought Sanchez was the guy, [B]but Chad could have been like Eli[/B].[/QUOTE]

Only if he borrowed Vinny's arm..:yes:

[QUOTE=Savage69;4360444]Only if he borrowed Vinny's arm..:yes:[/QUOTE]

Eff that, the '09 and '10 Jets with a 34 year old Vinny win a Super Bowl one of those years.

Vinny was freaking awesome until his achilles popped.

Eli is the perfect example of a QB whose career resume is based more on luck and getting hot at the exactly the right time, than anything resembling "elite" abillity.

He's not 1/100th the QB his brother was, talent wise. But he has one more ring, and 8-10 more years to go to win more.

He's a very good, above-average QB, who got hot exactly when he needed to, and played on teams with enough talent and lucky/amazing plays to help get past the declining-but-still-kicking Patriots twice.

He probably IS a surefire HOF'er now. But he's not, IMO, in the same class talent and abillity wise as the real elites in the game, his brother (now done IMO), Brees, Brady, Rogers, etc.

Take the predictable "Well, Sanchez sucks!" feelings of Jets Fans out of it, and I think when compared to the best QB's, Eli is not in that class (yet, he still has plenty of time). But he sure knows when to get hot, and plays best of the biggest stages. Can't take that away from him, and neither will the Hall eventually.