Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Was I born a Jets Fan?

Why Was I born a Jets Fan?

It is amazing to me that none of the teams I root for are worth a $hit. Year after year of frustration and losing, watching other NY teams win repeated Championships, while I sit and wallow in losses & what could have been. I often wonder why I was born to be a Jet Met Ranger & Knick fan. The thing of it is, no matter how mad i get, no matter how jealous I get, no matter how bad things get, I know that I could never switch allegiances to another local, or other team. No matter what anyone says, it is impossible to change, it is embedded in your genes, and anyone who says they have 2 favorite teams is F O S. It is not possible to like the Giants and Jets. it is not possible to like the Mets & Yankees, no way is it possible. You like who you like and, I know, it is in the fabric of my being to be a Jets fan and there is nothing I can do about it. Nothing. Damn it.

So here I sit on another Giants SB win.

Great.

Thanks Dad for these genes.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=ASH_1962;4360567]It is amazing to me that none of the teams I root for are worth a $hit. Year after year of frustration and losing, watching other NY teams win repeated Championships, while I sit and wallow in losses & what could have been. I often wonder why I was born to be a Jet Met Ranger & Knick fan. The thing of it is, no matter how mad i get, no matter how jealous I get, no matter how bad things get, I know that I could never switch allegiances to another local, or other team. No matter what anyone says, it is impossible to change, it is embedded in your genes, and anyone who says they have 2 favorite teams is F O S. It is not possible to like the Giants and Jets. it is not possible to like the Mets & Yankees, no way is it possible. You like who you like and, I know, it is in the fabric of my being to be a Jets fan and there is nothing I can do about it. Nothing. Damn it.

So here I sit on another Giants SB win.

Great.

Thanks Dad for these genes.[/QUOTE]

For this reason I am making my new born daughter a Yankees fan. No reason to saddle her with being a Jets/Mets fan. So I am buying a bunch of yankees gear and dressing her up in it.

I thought about making her a Giants fan as well, but I couldn't stomach it. Surely in her lifetime she'll she a Jets SB Win.

My five year old son woke up this morning and said Daddy when I grow up I want to be a Giants fan...I actually got angry and said We are jets fans in this house.....he said no I want to go to Giants games to which I said Daddy has Jets tickets and at the Jets games they have lots of candy and hot dogs...so I got him back on board...not one of my prouder moments

[QUOTE=fivewide;4360588]My five year old son woke up this morning and said Daddy when I grow up I want to be a Giants fan...I actually got angry and said We are jets fans in this house.....he said no I want to go to Giants games to which I said Daddy has Jets tickets and at the Jets games they have lots of candy and hot dogs...so I got him back on board...not one of my prouder moments[/QUOTE]

My first son was born on Wednesday and its a said state of affairs that I too am wondering if I can actually bring him into this Jets-Fan world of misery.

My family has had tix since 1966 when my Dad skipped the SB because he couldnt afford to go....we all know the rest of that story.

I can't give in/give up on our Jets, but today is a new kind of misery....feels like we are a million miles from a SB win and that has nothing to do with Rex, Sanchez, Bart Scott or anything. Just feels like its never gonna happen.

Plus we now live in a world where Brandon Jacobs has 2 rings and Eli Manning (who I like as a player and person) is legitimately in a HOF conversation....Not looking forward to the next 5 years of Bar-Football conversations with my friends.

All League
    [QUOTE=ASH_1962;4360567]I often wonder why I was born to be a Jet Met Ranger & Knick fan. [/QUOTE]At least you can blame parents. I have no one to blame but my 8 year old self. It's going to put me in therapy one day if I don't see a goddamned championship from someone, any one of my favorite teams.

[QUOTE=eaglenj;4360608]My first son was born on Wednesday and its a said state of affairs that I too am wondering if I can actually bring him into this Jets-Fan world of misery.

My family has had tix since 1966 when my Dad skipped the SB because he couldnt afford to go....we all know the rest of that story.

I can't give in/give up on our Jets, but today is a new kind of misery....feels like we are a million miles from a SB win and that has nothing to do with Rex, Sanchez, Bart Scott or anything. Just feels like its never gonna happen.

Plus we now live in a world where Brandon Jacobs has 2 rings and Eli Manning (who I like as a player and person) is legitimately in a HOF conversation....Not looking forward to the next 5 years of Bar-Football conversations with my friends.[/QUOTE]

You echoed my sentiments exactly. I am more despondant then I can ever remember.

Ive had tickets in my family since 1978. My family is not close but my uncle and I email weekly during football season. I was just recalling the yearly road trips in the mid to late 70's with our neighbor who was the PR diector at the time....being a little kid and playing catch with Richard Todd in the hotel lobby..going to our car after the game against the Baltimore Colts and seeing our car flipped over because it had Jets bumper stickers...the end zones that physically rocked at Shea..going up to Buffalo during my Albany college days with my Jet buddies and getting my Al Toon jersey doused with beer...remembering almost every play from the title losses in 83,98,09 and 10...and now finally having to endure another Giants parade...

And you are spot on "A million miles from another SB" is exactly how it feels...For those who will say "Grow a pair" ...I almost feel like maybe they just dont get it...I dont understand how any Jets fan can't be hurting.

i'm raising my kids to be giant fans. not that they didn't figure it out on their own. but why pass along this nonsense?

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    You could be in Afghanistan.

Jets Insider VIP
    Your just a born loser like the rest of us.

Jets Insider VIP
    I feel your pain my middle daughter didnt want to go to school today, ive ruined her just like my dad did me when it comes to sports. At 10 years old she is feeling the pain ive felt since 1970...poor kid

[QUOTE=Apache 51;4360682]You could be in Afghanistan.[/QUOTE]

Excellent point and puts things into their proper perspective.

This is only sports. Others are fighting in wars and getting killed daily so we can watch football here.

But still, I feel like I am in the movie Groundhog day where the same thing keeps happening over and over. We were great for 2 years and badda-boom, badda bing, another Giants SBC and we are no closer to getting there.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    [QUOTE=ASH_1962;4360718]Excellent point and puts things into their proper perspective.

This is only sports. Others are fighting in wars and getting killed daily so we can watch football here.

But still, I feel like I am in the movie Groundhog day where the same thing keeps happening over and over. We were great for 2 years and badda-boom, badda bing, another Giants SBC and we are no closer to getting there.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, didn't mean to come across so harsh I know how you meant it and I agree.

[QUOTE=ASH_1962;4360718]Excellent point and puts things into their proper perspective.

But still, I feel like I am in the movie Groundhog day where the same thing keeps happening over and over. We were great for 2 years and badda-boom, badda bing, another Giants SBC and we are no closer to getting there.[/QUOTE]

it's b/c the jets front office is trying too hard to compete with the giants so they cut corners, obtain guys like holmes to try to expidite success. but the best franchises build thru the draft, something the jets simply haven't been able to do over longer stretches of time. and the jets certainly have no history of having the patience of developing qbs either.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=augustiniak;4360673]but why pass along this nonsense?[/QUOTE]
    Because you are enjoying the suffering. We all somehow do.

Such a defeated/sad atmosphere. Man up! I dunno, maybe I'm just not prone to the wallowing loser role, but if there was ever a time to be showing Jet pride.... It's right now. The day after our two most hated rivals fought for the championship. Not when we're in the middle of a playoff run and things look good. We got enough bandwagoners for that.

Barely miss playoffs after two great playoff runs. Missing the playoffs allows us to send Sh*tty to the curb. Rex gonna be more involved. Holmes already trying to make up for his immaturity. Giants stadium no longer exists!

Yeah Blew just won a SB, but I like our Outlook better. Also, thinking the Pats really starting to show some chinks in their armor. I'm seeing some home playoff games in the near future. Great time to be a Jet fan. Stop sulking. That's for NE fans.

Veteran
    Well, no one can call us fair weather oder pink hat fans.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Mike135;4360774]Such a defeated/sad atmosphere. Man up! I dunno, maybe I'm just not prone to the wallowing loser role, but if there was ever a time to be showing Jet pride.... It's right now. The day after our two most hated rivals fought for the championship. Not when we're in the middle of a playoff run and things look good. We got enough bandwagoners for that.

Barely miss playoffs after two great playoff runs. Missing the playoffs allows us to send Sh*tty to the curb. Rex gonna be more involved. Holmes already trying to make up for his immaturity. Giants stadium no longer exists!

Yeah Blew just won a SB, but I like our Outlook better. Also, thinking the Pats really starting to show some chinks in their armor. I'm seeing some home playoff games in the near future. Great time to be a Jet fan. Stop sulking. That's for NE fans.[/QUOTE]

Great post, aggreed

been a Jets / Mets / Knicks / Rangers fan since 1968. Not sure it can get any worse than to see Giants and Patriots play in super bowl, however I have to take my hat off to those franchises. I respect what each organization has accomplished. I have to be honest, there is a sense of envy that can leave a bitter taste in my mouth, but I am a Jet fan for life. same for Mets, Knicks and Rangers. But.. Loyalty can fade. Major League Baseball and NBA are jokes. IMO, they are scams with baseball being worst.

NFL is still the best product. hopefully the present Jets organization can get us a Super Bowl win

[QUOTE=Mike135;4360774]Such a defeated/sad atmosphere. Man up! I dunno, maybe I'm just not prone to the wallowing loser role, but if there was ever a time to be showing Jet pride.... It's right now. The day after our two most hated rivals fought for the championship. Not when we're in the middle of a playoff run and things look good. We got enough bandwagoners for that.

Yeah Blew just won a SB, but I like our Outlook better. Also, thinking the Pats really starting to show some chinks in their armor. I'm seeing some home playoff games in the near future. Great time to be a Jet fan. Stop sulking. That's for NE fans.[/QUOTE]

To my fellow 135er...a good post but a week to early...now is the time to wallow in self pitty and get the anger out..its normal...in a week or so i agree with everything you posted

[QUOTE=fivewide;4360831]To my fellow 135er...a good post but a week to early...now is the time to wallow in self pitty and get the anger out..its normal...in a week or so i agree with everything you posted[/QUOTE]

First off, great choice in stadium seating. Already can't wait to get back there next year.

Besides that... To each their own i suppose, and I can respect your process. l myself though will be damned if some Midgets or Cheaters will ever cause me to wallow in self pitty. Woke up this moorning proud to be driving a car with a big ol' Jet sticker on the back window. Hell, even broke out the Jet season ticket holder hat.

Respect em for winning the SB? Sure.
    Give respectful fans some props for the win? Sure. Just be quick to shut em up if they get outta hand.
    Regret being a fan and not be proud of the Jets?.. Never.
    Raise my children to be Blew fans?... Uh, f*@% that never gonna happen. That's already starting off on the wrong foot. Couldn't stand it if my kids were pompous @ssholes.