Thread: Boston fans will NEVER criticize Brady, but he lost the game

JetsInsider.com Legend

Boston fans will NEVER criticize Brady, but he lost the game

Yes, Hernandez should have caught that pass at the end of the game. Yes, Deion Branch could/should have made a catch there too.

But a bad pass to a short WR over the wrong shoulder and high which would have required a circus catch to complete is NOT entirely Wes Welker's fault. Could he have caught the ball? Sure. But if he did then everyone today would be talking about the "exceptional" catch Welker made. And if a catch needs to be exceptional then it is NOT easy or routine.

Fact - It wasn't a good pass but Patriots fans will not blame Brady. They also have short memories about Brady directly giving the Giants 2 points to start the game. And is it Gronkowski's fault that Brady underthrew a deep pass ON 1st DOWN that was intercepted? [I]possibly[/I] :rolleyes:

Gisele and Pats fans will blame wide receivers or anyone else they can, but never Terrific Tom. The fact of the matter is that on three of the most important plays of the game he was Terrible Tom.

To even hint that Brady comes up short in big games would then force them to admit that the great HC/QB combination can't get it done unless all other pieces fall into place...

This is a team that won its Superbowl's on the back of a great defense, with clutch QB play... Similar to what Eli has done twice...

While flashy and successful, after the offensive rise, the defensive draft busts and patch FA jobs to correct those busts, the Patriots simply will not win if Tom Brady does not play like a HOFer...

He certainly didn't play like one last night and they lost because of it.

The same can be said for the Gints first SB, the Ravens game, the Jets game, etc...

He barely escaped the AFCCG... He played like poo and Billy Cundiff saved him the embarrassment of getting bounced where he should have gotten bounced...

Tom Brady is still an elite QB... In the regular season...

Outside of 2 great drives, Brady had a pretty bad game. Minus the Denver blowout the past few years he has 7 TDs and 7 picks in the playoffs. Hes not a feared playoff QB anymore. 2 dud games against Baltimore, a dud game against the Jets and a pretty bad game again last night.

Great regular season guy though.

i think if gronk had been healthy they would have won. he's worth points.

[QUOTE=jetstream23;4360600]Yes, Hernandez should have caught that pass at the end of the game. Yes, Deion Branch could/should have made a catch there too.

But a bad pass to a short WR over the wrong shoulder and high which would have required a circus catch to complete is NOT entirely Wes Welker's fault. Could he have caught the ball? Sure. But if he did then everyone today would be talking about the "exceptional" catch Welker made. And if a catch needs to be exceptional then it is NOT easy or routine.

Fact - It wasn't a good pass but Patriots fans will not blame Brady. They also have short memories about Brady directly giving the Giants 2 points to start the game. And is it Gronkowski's fault that Brady underthrew a deep pass ON 1st DOWN that was intercepted? [I]possibly[/I] :rolleyes:

Gisele and Pats fans will blame wide receivers or anyone else they can, but never Terrific Tom. The fact of the matter is that on three of the most important plays of the game he was Terrible Tom.[/QUOTE]

And if you didn't want him as the Jets QB for the next 3-4 yrs you would be lying

JetsInsider.com Legend
    [QUOTE=C Mart;4360695]And if you didn't want him as the Jets QB for the next 3-4 yrs you would be lying[/QUOTE]

And so would you.

What's the point? :huh:

If you're asking whether Tom Brady is one of the best QBs in the league and better than the NY Jets current QB the answer is yes.

If the question is whether Tom Brady is significantly responsible for last night's loss the answer is also yes, and is the point of this thread.

It hit him on the hands. Welker has to catch that. End of story.

not only that but his safety changed the score. if you take away the safety, and add an extra point, the giants are only up 3 and NE only needs a fg at the end of the game.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=jetstream23;4360600]Yes, Hernandez should have caught that pass at the end of the game. Yes, Deion Branch could/should have made a catch there too.

Gisele and Pats fans will blame wide receivers or anyone else they can, but never Terrific Tom. The fact of the matter is that on three of the most important plays of the game he was Terrible Tom.[/QUOTE]

Disagree....if the Pats needed Brady to hit him in stride in order to score a TD, that pass was unacceptable. But, they simply needed a completion to get a first down, put them in FG range and keep the clock going. While not completely on target, that pass accomplished that goal, in general. Sure it turned him around raising the difficulty level, but he needs to make that catch. Brady certainly could have made it easier on him but you can't always expect a QB to hit his receiver exactly in stride. He thew it well enough, IMO, that Welker should have made that catch.

If this were beisbol, I'm giving him an error. A tough one, perhaps, but error on Welker, nonetheless.
    Last edited by crasherino; 02-06-2012 at 01:19 PM.

Where as I don't think Brady brought his A game saying he lost them here just seems wrong to me. That had to be a record for most dropped passes in a SB. Te Pats knew they needed a WR and just added a finish Ocho. That last drive alone made me feel sad for Brady. Gronk was obviously not 100% and the INT was just as much on him as on Brady. He had to have been saying to himself god I miss Moss. The Giants where just the better team.

if brady had Manningham, Nicks and Cruz last night he wins that game going away imo

Veteran
    Yeah, Brady only 'lost' this game to the extent that the Pats rely on him 100% to win it. He made the right reads and threw catchable balls. Gronk being hurt was clearly a big issue for them - and those key drops . . .

And the lack of a real run game - I figured inside a dome we'd have a lot more FGs in this game.

But hey - Weatherford for MVP - punting really did change this game.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Fact - It wasn't a good pass but Patriots fans will not blame Brady. They also have short memories about Brady directly giving the Giants 2 points to start the game. And is it Gronkowski's fault that Brady underthrew a deep pass ON 1st DOWN that was intercepted? [I]possibly[/I]

+1.

Brady made several lousy throws that cost the Patriots points.

Belichick made a lousy coaching decision and deferred the kickoff which directly led to a needless 9-0 deficit.

This isn't new. Last year in the elimination game with the Jets, the same things happened.

SAR I

Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

[QUOTE=Dreamers;4360965]Where as I don't think Brady brought his A game saying he lost them here just seems wrong to me. That had to be a record for most dropped passes in a SB. Te Pats knew they needed a WR and just added a finish Ocho. That last drive alone made me feel sad for Brady. Gronk was obviously not 100% and the INT was just as much on him as on Brady. He had to have been saying to himself god I miss Moss. The Giants where just the better team.[/QUOTE]

Agreed on all points. They say football is a game of luck and skill. The game that I watched last night had LadyLuck on the side of the Giants. Eli did pretty good at QB too. IMO the Giants won with honor, pride & heart.

I enjoyed watching BillyCheat on the sidelines lamenting after he heard the universe crack, felt the field shift under his feet and saw the vortex that sucked the life out of his players after NY Giants #93 LB Chase Blackburn intercepted that ball.

All it takes is one lucky play & IMO that was the one that has one of NY's teams hoisting the Lombardi today.

[QUOTE=SAR I;4360989]+1.

Brady made several lousy throws that cost the Patriots points.

Belichick made a lousy coaching decision and deferred the kickoff which directly led to a needless 9-0 deficit.

This isn't new. Last year in the elimination game with the Jets, the same things happened.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

Since Brady's ACL injury in '08, the Pats have deferred EVERY TIME. Last nights game was a perfect example...game doesn't start out how you want it to (safety and gifting 9 points), yet they lead a drive to end the first half to go up 10-9. They then get the ball back in the second half, drive down and score to make it 17-9. If that is not perfect reasoning for deferring the ball, I don't know what is.

What if they took the ball first and still had a safety? They "lose" that possession to start the half and are still down.

Well someone is ripping him up here....

[url]http://articles.boston.com/2012-02-05/sports/31027533_1_tom-brady-wes-welker-patriots[/url]

[QUOTE=JetsFan24;4360983]if brady had Manningham, Nicks and Cruz last night he wins that game going away imo[/QUOTE]

If Eli had BB as coach, the schemes they run on offense and the time Brady had, he carves up that Giants secondary too.

I don't if you noticed, but the Giants wr's weren't always that open, and Eli was threading the ball into tight windows.
    Last edited by Monsterxman; 02-06-2012 at 03:10 PM.

[QUOTE=Monsterxman;4361096]If Eli had BB as coach, the schemes they run on offense and the time Brady had, he carves up that Giants secondary too.

I don't if you noticed, but the Giants wr's weren't always that open, and Eli was threading the ball into tight windows.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely...

can't defend a perfectly thrown ball and Eli just has so many of them lately. Peyton was always the best at this but it looks like Eli is catching up.

Brady wasn't great last night but he was not the reasons they lost.

The Giants lost both their stating TE and that's the reason they had Manningham on the field. Manningham while not an unbelivable WR has great speed and it changed the matchup. The Pats lost their main weapon and had a washed up Ocho to fill in.

The Giants happen to match up well with the Pats and the injuries the Giants suffered helped their matchup. That's not on Brady who was not great but he really does have a pedestrian group around him on O.

[QUOTE=SAR I;4360989]+1.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

The Pats went into halftime with a 10-9 lead and got the ball back though. Hard to say that was a poor decision on his part.