Thread: Namath Special: Greatest game they played and Lost!

Namath Special: Greatest game they played and Lost!

Saw the Namath special over the weekend. Being a Jet fan since the very late 60's, it was very enjoyable to watch. It was very touching that they focused on a game that I attended in which the Jet's actually lost. Namath had been injured for a while. He was activated that Sunday, but not expected to play. They were going against the 49ers and John Brodie and Gene Washington. The Jet's were trailing by a good margin already in 1H, when the Jet's QB was hurt. As he layed down the field, Shea stadium errupted with Cheers. It was unbelievable the noise!!! Something I haven't heard or felt since. We all knew who was coming into the game. Tears shed from my eyes as I watched Joe Willie trot on the field. People were on the feat and the upper deck was rocking! He threw in incomplete pass on first play, but soon later, it was like Magic! He was hitting receivers everywhere. He brought that team back at the very end, but threw a interception in the end zone to end the game. We stayed on our feets for 10 minutes after the game cheering.

It was great to hear the Jet's players talk about that game on the Namath documentary. Unbelievable that they felt the same way I did. It was the greatest game I ever attended in person and I have been to Jet Playoff victories.

New York Truely Loved Broadway Joe!

Veteran
    [QUOTE=jetfan51;4360754]Saw the Namath special over the weekend. Being a Jet fan since the very late 60's, it was very enjoyable to watch. It was very touching that they focused on a game that I attended in which the Jet's actually lost. Namath had been injured for a while. He was activated that Sunday, but not expected to play. They were going against the 49ers and John Brodie and Gene Washington. The Jet's were trailing by a good margin already in 1H, when the Jet's QB was hurt. As he layed down the field, Shea stadium errupted with Cheers. It was unbelievable the noise!!! Something I haven't heard or felt since. We all knew who was coming into the game. Tears shed from my eyes as I watched Joe Willie trot on the field. People were on the feat and the upper deck was rocking! He threw in incomplete pass on first play, but soon later, it was like Magic! He was hitting receivers everywhere. He brought that team back at the very end, but threw a interception in the end zone to end the game. We stayed on our feets for 10 minutes after the game cheering.

It was great to hear the Jet's players talk about that game on the Namath documentary. Unbelievable that they felt the same way I did. It was the greatest game I ever attended in person and I have been to Jet Playoff victories.

New York Truely Loved Broadway Joe![/QUOTE]

I was at that game in 1971, if it was today the Jets would have kicked a FG to send it to OT, they went for the win and not the tie, nice memory

All Pro
    [QUOTE=jetfan51;4360754]Saw the Namath special over the weekend. Being a Jet fan since the very late 60's, it was very enjoyable to watch. It was very touching that they focused on a game that I attended [B]in which the Jet's actually lost[/B]. Namath had been injured for a while. He was activated that Sunday, but not expected to play. They were going against the 49ers and John Brodie and Gene Washington. The Jet's were trailing by a good margin already in 1H, when the Jet's QB was hurt. As he layed down the field, Shea stadium errupted with Cheers. It was unbelievable the noise!!! Something I haven't heard or felt since. We all knew who was coming into the game. Tears shed from my eyes as I watched Joe Willie trot on the field. People were on the feat and the upper deck was rocking! He threw in incomplete pass on first play, but soon later, it was like Magic! He was hitting receivers everywhere. He brought that team back at the very end, but threw a interception in the end zone to end the game. We stayed on our feets for 10 minutes after the game cheering.

New York Truely Loved Broadway Joe![/QUOTE]

Actually?! They lose all the time!!! :yes:

[QUOTE=HBJETFANBOB;4360799]I was at that game in 1971, if it was today the Jets would have kicked a FG to send it to OT, they went for the win and not the tie, nice memory[/QUOTE]

Great seeing highlights that game yesterday ie. passes to Riggins, Caster and Bell. Question regarding OT, was there OT back in 1971? I know a rule change came into effect for OT games.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=jetfan51;4360841]Great seeing highlights that game yesterday ie. passes to Riggins, Caster and Bell. Question regarding OT, was there OT back in 1971? I know a rule change came into effect for OT games.[/QUOTE]

Regular season OT began in 1974 -- was not yet in effect for that game in '71.

I was at the SF game in 1971 and it was one of the most exciting and memorable games I ever saw. Shea was rocking when Namath came into the game. Once Namath warmed up he was amazing. The bomb to Caster is burned into my memory. The draw play he called to Riggins on the final possession was brilliant. I have not yet seen the HBO special and I can't wait to see it.