Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Former CIA operative on the Iranian Threat

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=WestCoastOffensive;4369961]GO back in your hole; and I'm a Lindsay Democrat. You are insane; the good folk of Iran are sitting ducks; the leaders are the ones pulling all these tricks and rattling the sabers. Those leaders need to go. The Iranians of means need to show some balls and start leaving that place. Let those hooded cowards face their own music.[/QUOTE]

They same sort of feelings and thoughts were epressed in the early days of the Cold war.

It turned out that the folks in power in the Soviet Union did not want to get involved in a nuclear war. ... They liked being alive and in charge... IMHO the Yahoos in Iran have the same basic view of their lives. "It's good to be the king"

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buster;4371884] PS There are an estimated 30,000 Jews living in Iran.[/QUOTE]

Wow really? That's great. So so many.

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][B]Even though Ayatollah Khomeini, in his first public speech in 1979, announced the Jewish community would be regarded differently from Israel, Habibollah Elghanian, head of the Tehran Jewish community and one of the wealthiest Iranian Jews, was accused of corruption and contacts with Israel and was executed in 1979. [/B][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][B]That led to a wave of emigration by Iranian Jews. Over the past 30 years, the Israeli flag has been repeatedly torched and the Star of David desecrated in Palestine Square in Tehran. The government has also funded the production of countless anti-Semitic and anti-Israeli films and TV series. [/B][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][B]The arrest of 13 Isfahani and Shirazi Jews on charges of spying for Israel in 2000 brought fears of a new wave of repression. The accused, mainly clothing or shoe salesmen, were finally released after international pressure.[/B] [/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][B]After Israel and Turkey, Iran has the third largest Jewish population in the Middle East. However, the numbers, estimated to stand at [U]150,000[/U] in 1979 when many had important positions in society, have fallen to a nominal 30,000, [U]though in practice it may be far less.[/U][/B] [/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial][/FONT]
    [URL]http://www.payvand.com/news/10/may/1135.html[/URL]

About 25,000 Jews live in Iran... the headmasters of the Jewish schools in Tehran are all Muslim...the father of Iran's revolution, Imam Khomeini, recognised Jews as a religious minority that should be protected.
    As a result Jews have [U]one[/U] representative in the Iranian parliament.

[URL]http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/5367892.stm[/URL]

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buster;4367663]I disagree with the Iran = Darth Vader stuff.

I think:

Iran wants to be a regional superpower.

Iran wants the Persian people to be the leaders of Islam.

Iran wants Shia Muslims to be the leaders of the Islamic world.

Iran wants a nuclear weapon because neither Iraq nor Afghanistan (Iran's neighbors) had a nuclear weapon and when the USA and NATO decided to invade and over throw their governments. Iraq and Afghanistan’s old leaders had to sit by and take it in the kiester. The lesson for Iraq was obvious: have a nuke and you’ll remain in power.[/QUOTE]

This is exactly right. Develop a nuke and you'll be safe. Don't develop a nuke and you'll end up like Saddam and Gadhafi.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buster;4371884]Again you claim to know what 75 million Iranians want after saying you've never been there.

I have never been to Iran and do not claim to know what the average Iranian feels or wants.

BUT I suspect Iranians (as every rational human being) don't want to be killed in a nuclear blast or to be a member of the losing side in a nuclear war.

PS There are an estimated 30,000 Jews living in Iran.[/QUOTE]

PS there were 80,000 living there before the 79 revolution.

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Winstonbiggs;4372464]PS there were 80,000 living there before the 79 revolution.[/QUOTE]

I am not saying Iran is a good country. I am not saying I wish to live or visit Iran. I believe Iran to be a despotic nation.

But palmetto defender is putting Iran in the same class as Nazi Germany. Which IMHO is just wrong. I posted the 'fact' about the Jewish population of Iran as a counterpoint to his statements. The current Iranian government has been in control for 25+ years and Jewish citizens remain.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buster;4375178]I am not saying Iran is a good country. I am not saying I wish to live or visit Iran. I believe Iran to be a despotic nation.

But palmetto defender is putting Iran in the same class as Nazi Germany. Which IMHO is just wrong. I posted the 'fact' about the Jewish population of Iran as a counterpoint to his statements. The current Iranian government has been in control for 25+ years and Jewish citizens remain.[/QUOTE]

Iran's treatment of minorities is not that disimiliar to Nazi Germany. All it lacks is scale.

Your post on Jewish citizens remaining was simply ignorance or an intentional lie. The Jewish population in Iran has shrunk by more than half since the new regime took over and the remaining population, like other religous populations in Iran are at the mercy of a harsh Islamic law and constant intimidation.

If they stand down on their Nuclear program great, if not we should take it out. No need to send in troops occupy and topple the government like we did in Iraq. This is about self preservation.

How do you know what's next? Should we wait to see the next chapter of the Islamic regime the one that openly talks of dominance of a region and destruction of Israel. The regime that refers to the US as the Great Satan and has openly attacked us?
    Last edited by Winstonbiggs; 02-25-2012 at 08:34 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buster;4367663]The lesson for [B]Iraq [/B]was obvious: have a nuke and you’ll remain in power.[/QUOTE]

How'd that work out for them?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    *yawn

Iran is boring.