Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: Obama vs the Catholic Church

All Pro
    [QUOTE=JetPotato;4370666]Which is what I said earlier. We self-preserve due to fear of not preserving.[/QUOTE]

We're venturing into philosophical and psychological territory. :D

I would argue that self-preservation is a result of biological instinct, and it is not tangibly based on fear. Do you drink due to fear of dehydration and eat due to fear of starvation?

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=parafly;4370831]We're venturing into philosophical and psychological territory. :D

I would argue that self-preservation is a result of biological instinct, and it is not tangibly based on fear. Do you drink due to fear of dehydration and eat due to fear of starvation?[/QUOTE]

No, I eat due to hunger and drink due to thirst. That's a different animal than learned behaviors.

I'll use an example from before. When you have a baby, you put those plastic thingies in the electrical outlet to protect your kid from sticking anything in there. Because they have no fear of it. They don't know the consequences. There's no instinct that stops them. When they're old enough to understand, you explain why it wouldn't be a good idea, and they don't do it out of [I]fear[/I] of being fried.

[QUOTE=JetPotato;4370986]No, I eat due to hunger and drink due to thirst. That's a different animal than learned behaviors.

I'll use an example from before. When you have a baby, you put those plastic thingies in the electrical outlet to protect your kid from sticking anything in there. Because they have no fear of it. They don't know the consequences. There's no instinct that stops them. When they're old enough to understand, you explain why it wouldn't be a good idea, and they don't do it out of [I]fear[/I] of being fried.[/QUOTE]

Never did that for my daughter, she never even looked at an outlet, my son tried like crazy and we baby proofed them. Explain.

[QUOTE=cr726;4370990]Never did that for my daughter, she never even looked at an outlet, my son tried like crazy and we baby proofed them. Explain.[/QUOTE]

You'e a horrible parent.:confused:

Virgina now is considering legislation to make parents shove their kids fingers in an outlet to scare the living bejeezies out of them.

Ya know, so they will have fear.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=JetPotato;4370986]No, I eat due to hunger and drink due to thirst. That's a different animal than learned behaviors.

I'll use an example from before. When you have a baby, you put those plastic thingies in the electrical outlet to protect your kid from sticking anything in there. Because they have no fear of it. They don't know the consequences. There's no instinct that stops them. When they're old enough to understand, you explain why it wouldn't be a good idea, and they don't do it out of [I]fear[/I] of being fried.[/QUOTE]

It that fear or understanding?

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Trades;4371152]It that fear or understanding?[/QUOTE]

It's both. Through understanding, you're given a reason to respect and fear the outlet and what it can do to you.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE]Leviticus 11:13-19 :

“‘These are the birds you are to regard as unclean and not eat because they are unclean: the eagle, the vulture, the black vulture, the red kite, any kind of black kite, any kind of raven, the horned owl, the screech owl, the gull, any kind of hawk, the little owl, the cormorant, the great owl, the white owl, the desert owl, the osprey, the stork, any kind of heron, the hoopoe and [B]the bat[/B].'"
    [/QUOTE]

Wut?

[QUOTE]These are the birds.........[B][SIZE="5"]the bat[/SIZE][/B]...[/QUOTE]

Cool. Bats are birds according to the bible.

The bible. Chock full of lols....
    Last edited by PlumberKhan; 02-18-2012 at 12:07 PM.