Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Virginia Republicans Mandate ‘trans-vaginal ultrasounds'

Practice Squad

Virginia Republicans Mandate ‘trans-vaginal ultrasounds'

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/n...re-ar-1657474/
    The Virginia Senate on Wednesday approved a bill that would require a woman seeking an abortion to first have an ultrasound, virtually assuring the measure will become state law.

Passage of the hotly contested measure by the evenly divided chamber paves the way for the bill to go to Gov. Bob McDonnell, whose signature would make it the law effective July 1. The GOP-dominated House of Delegates is expected to give the measure swift approval.

The vote on the legislation, Senate Bill 484, was 21-18 in the 40-member chamber. Nineteen of the 20 Republicans and two Democrats — Sens. Charles J. Colgan of Prince William County and Phillip P. Puckett of Russell County — voted for the bill.

Sen. John Watkins, R-Powhatan, voted against the measure. Sen. L. Louise Lucas, D-Portsmouth, who was against the measure, was absent from the Capitol and did not vote.

Currently, women seeking an abortion may, in consultation with their physician, seek an ultrasound; Senate Bill 484 makes it a mandate. Under the legislation, a woman would not be obligated to view the ultrasound image.

Supporters argued the requirement is an important part of informed consent to the procedure because it would help determine the gestational age of the fetus.

But opponents said the procedure is medically unnecessary, intrudes on the doctor-patient relationship and would impose additional costs of between $100 and $1,000 on a woman seeking the procedure.
    If health insurance mandate is radical... what is a vaginal probe mandate?
    Last edited by Mantle & Namath; 02-15-2012 at 10:32 PM.

All Pro
    Embarrassed to live in VA at the moment.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantle & Namath View Post

Not even comparable.

Health insurance is mandated for all. This ultrasound is mandated only to those who choose to abort a child. It is a condition of abortion, which is the patient's choice. No one is forcing you against your will. You still have a choice.

God forbid we gather necessary information using a very quick and minor procedure before we decide to end a human life. Ignorance is bliss, I guess.

And for those of you that think this is a highly intrusive procedure, I ask: have you ever witnessed one? And have you ever witnessed an abortion? The ultrasound is like a Hawaiian vacation in comparison. If one occasionally prevents the other, what's the problem?

PS - I don't see anywhere in this article requiring vaginal ultrasound. Most ultrasounds are an external scan across the stomach area.
    Last edited by JetPotato; 02-16-2012 at 09:06 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Now it's ok to mandate an ultrasound even if the doctor doesn't need one? VA wants to be your conscious now too, interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    Not even comparable.

Health insurance is mandated for all. This ultrasound is mandated only to those who choose to abort a child. It is a condition of abortion, which is the patient's choice. No one is forcing you against your will. You still have a choice.

God forbid we gather necessary information using a very quick and minor procedure before we decide to end a human life. Ignorance is bliss, I guess.

And for those of you that think this is a highly intrusive procedure, I ask: have you ever witnessed one? And have you ever witnessed an abortion? The ultrasound is like a Hawaiian vacation in comparison. If one occasionally prevents the other, what's the problem?

I need some informatiom here to make an informed decision on this.
    Why is the ultrasound necessary? The woman has decided to have an abortion. What will change?

Hall Of Fame
    PS - I don't see anywhere in this article requiring vaginal ultrasound. Most ultrasounds are an external scan across the stomach area.
    Almost all early ultrasounds are vaginal.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    I need some informatiom here to make an informed decision on this.
    Why is the ultrasound necessary? The woman has decided to have an abortion. What will change?
    An ultrasound is the best method for determining the age of the child. It could determine whether the potential abortion is in fact still a legal option or not.

The bigger fear from the pro-abortion crowd though is that viewing an ultrasound image even at early stages could potentially change a mother's mind on the issue entirely, as it makes it obvious you're dealing with a human life.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    An ultrasound is the best method for determining the age of the child. It could determine whether the potential abortion is in fact still a legal option or not.

The bigger fear from the pro-abortion crowd though is that viewing an ultrasound image even at early stages could potentially change a mother's mind on the issue entirely, as it makes it obvious you're dealing with a human life.
    Great move.

We will give you an abortion, which is your legal right. But first we mandate an unneccessary medical procedure to try and make sure you feel more guilty about it.

This is so stupid. If you have an MD who is willing to do the abortion and a woman who wants the abortion...how is this going to change ANYTHING?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Because lets face it. Women are too stupid to realize this.

THANK GOD we have old white men to edumacate them for political reasons!

All Pro

Is that a joke? The woman/girl has done the heavy moral/psychological lifting by the time she is at the doc's office. The is purely a roadblock to force the legislators' morality on other people. It's so transparent, it's just laughable that you would even attempt to make this argument.

I mean, if you want to cheer it as a fan of the pro-life movement, go ahead.

Practice Squad
    They should have the woman sign the ultra sound before they chop up her child.

Many woman have said they did not realize how much aborting would effect them and become depressed knowing they killed there own child.
    This would bring clarity.
    Where as others it does not bother at all either way.

12 weeks Please sign.......................................

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by cedk View Post
    They should have the woman sign the ultra sound before they chop up her child.

Many woman have said they did not realize how much aborting would effect them and become depressed knowing they killed there own child.
    This would bring clarity.
    Where as others it does not bother at all either way.

12 weeks Please sign.......................................
    Lol, either of my children's ultrasounds were like your pic. Insurance companies do not cover ultrasounds that far along unless there is an issue with the pregnancy.
    This thread proves how religious men think they know better than every women who decided to have a legal medical procedure ie abortion.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by cr726 View Post
    Lol, either of my children's ultrasounds were like your pic. Insurance companies do not cover ultrasounds that far along unless there is an issue with the pregnancy.
    This thread proves how religious men think they know better than every women who decided to have a legal medical procedure ie abortion.
    Religion does not HAVE to have anything to do with this topic. You can actually make a defense against most abortions without bringing in the topic of religion. This is a pro-choice tactic to allow a woman to a have a "choice," when in reality, women are kept from making a full choice.

If a woman wants an abortion, she will choose it no matter what. But women have been told for so long it is their "right" to abort, perhaps they have forgotten what it is that is growing inside them....life. If a woman saw what was inside them, perhaps they would change their mind. What is the harm in this, other than it actually becomes a political argument against pro-choice.

In Canada, we are (I believe) the ONLY country without abortion law....meaning, you can go into a doctor's office one week before your due date and abort. Pro-choicers: where is the line? What is wrong with Pete Singer's suggestion of infanticide, or testing on Down's syndrome children? Where is the line folks?

I just don't see what the issue is with allowing abortion IF a) there is a thread to the woman's life; b) if the pregnancy occurred during rape/incest ; c) If a woman still consents prior to a specific amount of time AND sees a picture showing what she is terminating. If a woman agrees, let her have the abortion. If she changes her mind, let her have the child. There would be no agenda here....

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Definitely one of the most interesting bills dealing with the pro-life movement I've seen.

Tough issue. Can't say I disagree with the intent of the bill, but I don't know how good it is as a piece of legislation.

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by cr726 View Post
    I think insurance cover only when there is a need.
    The pic is a 12 week old and a much more advance type ultra sound.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaSteve View Post
    ...perhaps they have forgotten what it is that is growing inside them....
    Pretty sure they haven't forgotten that.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Religion does not HAVE to have anything to do with this topic. You can actually make a defense against most abortions without bringing in the topic of religion. This is a pro-choice tactic to allow a woman to a have a "choice," when in reality, women are kept from making a full choice.

If a woman wants an abortion, she will choose it no matter what. But women have been told for so long it is their "right" to abort, perhaps they have forgotten what it is that is growing inside them....life. If a woman saw what was inside them, perhaps they would change their mind. What is the harm in this, other than it actually becomes a political argument against pro-choice.

In Canada, we are (I believe) the ONLY country without abortion law....meaning, you can go into a doctor's office one week before your due date and abort. Pro-choicers: where is the line? What is wrong with Pete Singer's suggestion of infanticide, or testing on Down's syndrome children? Where is the line folks?

I just don't see what the issue is with allowing abortion IF a) there is a thread to the woman's life; b) if the pregnancy occurred during rape/incest ; c) If a woman still consents prior to a specific amount of time AND sees a picture showing what she is terminating. If a woman agrees, let her have the abortion. If she changes her mind, let her have the child. There would be no agenda here....
    Good post.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    c) If a woman still consents prior to a specific amount of time AND sees a picture showing what she is terminating. If a woman agrees, let her have the abortion. If she changes her mind, let her have the child. There would be no agenda here....
    No, no agenda at all there.

If men could get pregnant an abortion would be a drive thru procedure.

Practice Squad
    "I know you were raped, but look at your rape baby before you abort it, would you like a Polaroid?"

"I know the child you're carrying won't be born viable and would die soon after, but here it is to look at, just to remind you how useless your womb is"
    Last edited by Mantle & Namath; 02-16-2012 at 01:20 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantle & Namath View Post
    http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/n...re-ar-1657474/

A party in your pants?

Isn't Trans Vaginal Ultrasound that group that does all the electronica Christmas carols? I love that stuff!