Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Richardson Fall to Jets article

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    Is there anything more useless than posting a youtube highlight video?

Every scrub, undrafted FA has one that is as impressive as one for a top 5 pick
    I agree and I have been saying this for a long time. Same holds true for the Sanchez highlight videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    College accomplishments mean nothing -- Richardson is projected as a much better pro than Ingram was.

I'd be very surprised if Richardson fell all the way to 16, but if he's there, I think you have to take him.
    True. The fact that the NFL has become a passing league will hurt T-Rich's stock.

Also, I'm hearing rumors that TB will target Mike Tolbert, KC is targeting Benjarvus Green-Ellis. Plus Cleveland hasn't ruled out brining back Hillis, and Seattle will re-sign Lynch (and franchise tag him if they can't reach a deal).

This leads me to believe that these teams will add a RB in free agency. If so, that helps our chances of getting T-Rich.

Have we learned nothing as Jets fans, this is too good to be true

while I would love the pick, if he is there at 16, there would be a medical issue or the Jets will draft a WR

Any of the following will be fine:
    Oline
    Safety
    Pass Rush
    LB

While the possible addition of TRich sounds so good, taking a RB in the 1st round scares the living dog poop out of me. Good RBs can be found deep in the draft. I remember the Blair Thomas disaster.

We probably are just better off adding to the D and making it the elite unit it was 2 years ago.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by jetssjumets View Post
    While the possible addition of TRich sounds so good, taking a RB in the 1st round scares the living dog poop out of me. Good RBs can be found deep in the draft. I remember the Blair Thomas disaster.

We probably are just better off adding to the D and making it the elite unit it was 2 years ago.
    Richardson isn't some run of the mill RB.

Usually I'm not big on 1st round RB's either, but Richardson has special player written all over him.

I think the whole "you can find good RB's anywhere" argument is overblown. At least it sure as hell is when it comes to the Jets. We've drafted a RB in the mid-rounds for the last 3 years in a row. And what has it gotten us? An average at best starter in Greene, a glorified KR in McKnight, and a total unknown in Powell who didn't exactly inspire much confidence in limited playing time.

Curtis Martin and Thomas Jones are the only two RB's we've had in the past 20 years that I could say are legitimate starters.
    Last edited by Untouchable; 02-20-2012 at 10:43 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post

Usually I'm not big on 1st round RB's either, but Richardson has special player written all over him.

I think the whole "you can find good RB's anywhere" argument is overblown. At least it sure as hell is when it comes to the Jets. We've drafted a RB in the mid-rounds for the last 3 years in a row. And what has it gotten us? An average at best starter in Greene, a glorified KR in McKnight, and a total unknown in Powell who didn't exactly inspire much confidence in limited playing time.

Curtis Martin and Thomas Jones are the only two RB's we've had in the past 20 years that I could say are legitimate starters.
    And TJ was just a swap of 2nd rd picks yet he holds the Jet record for td's in a season and most yds in a single game regular season..

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post

We have had a lot of legit RBs over the years. Adrian Murrell had 3 1000k yard seasons in a row. Wasn't great but was a legit starter. LT had almost 1300 APY his 1st year here as a starter. He fit what we needed that year. LaMont Jordan was here for years backing up Martin. Looked good in Oakland just didn't stay healthy because their line was horrid. Had almost 1600 APY in only 14 games the year he left. That was just a bad injury that cut his career off. Greene is also a legit starter IMO, last year was just a let down. You want to talk stars OK but I dont think Thomas was ever that. 1 Pro Bowl doesn't make you a star. You don't need to win a rushing title to be a good starter.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    We have had a lot of legit RBs over the years. Adrian Murrell had 3 1000k yard seasons in a row. Wasn't great but was a legit starter. LT had almost 1300 APY his 1st year here as a starter. He fit what we needed that year. LaMont Jordan was here for years backing up Martin. Looked good in Oakland just didn't stay healthy because their line was horrid. Had almost 1600 APY in only 14 games the year he left. That was just a bad injury that cut his career off. Greene is also a legit starter IMO, last year was just a let down. You want to talk stars OK but I dont think Thomas was ever that. 1 Pro Bowl doesn't make you a star. You don't need to win a rushing title to be a good starter.
    Murrell is the only guy outside of Martin and Jones that you can make a case for.

So Jordan looked good here as a backup to Curtis? Whoopty sh*t, Derrick Blaylock looked good in Kansas City backing up Priest Holmes. Jordan was a failure no matter how you try to slice it. The guy had one solid season in Oakland, got cut and signed with New England for a year or two, and now he's out of the league. He was never the heir to C-Mart like so many thought he was.

LT came here in the twighlight of his career and split carries with Greene for one year then was regulated to 3rd down duties last year. There was nothing legitimate about LT as a starter in a Jets uniform.

If this team is dead set on the "ground and pound" philosophy and wants to win games with a strong running game and defense, then we could stand to upgrade the backfield.

Quote Originally Posted by King P View Post
    It's really not insanse to think T-Rich will fall to us.

Remember, Mark Ingram didn't get drafted til late in the 1st round. And he was a Heisman winner
    And how did that work out for the Saints? Ingram was a part of a RBBC while Pierre Thomas and Sproles provided more to the offense than he did. Meanwhile, the Saints defense could not stop a nose bleed. The Saints would have been better off taking a defensive player with that pick.

RBs are not worth first round picks. Period. The last SB team who had a first round RB as a key part of their offense was the 2000 Ravens (Lewis) and before that you have to go back the early 90s and Smith with the Cowboys. Not worth it.

All Pro
    Michael Floyd

All Pro
    If trich is there. the jets will sprint to the podium. Rex and sparano will be salivating to get that guy in the ground and pound.

Trich to Rex and Sparano is like Luck to the Colts.

I just do not think he will be there when we pick.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Willie White Shoes View Post

RBs are not worth first round picks. Period. The last SB team who had a first round RB as a key part of their offense was the 2000 Ravens (Lewis) and before that you have to go back the early 90s and Smith with the Cowboys. Not worth it.
    Exactly, RB's in the 1st round are dumb moves.

Just to prove the point, Laurence Maroney and Arian Foster say hi.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Exactly, RB's in the 1st round are dumb moves.

Just to prove the point, Laurence Maroney and Arian Foster say hi.
    For every scenario like this you throw out you can point to an Adrian Peterson, Emmit Smith, etc.

If you hit the right RB in the first round it is not a dumb move at all.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    For every scenario like this you throw out you can point to an Adrian Peterson, Emmit Smith, etc.

If you hit the right RB in the first round it is not a dumb move at all.
    And that's the key, hitting the right RB.

I'll bet if you go back for the last 30 years and look at all the RB's taken in the first round, you would have more Maroney type picks than Peterson and Smith picks.

Also the kid is apparently a workout warrior (not sure to think of TJ or gholston)
    if he falls to us, im hoping its TJ

http://www.muscleprodigy.com/trent-r...arcl-1737.html

i can't see TR falling to the jets. he's too good and would be a huge draw for the team that drafts him.

Hall Of Fame
    And that's the key, hitting the right RB.

I'll bet if you go back for the last 30 years and look at all the RB's taken in the first round, you would have more Maroney type picks than Peterson and Smith picks.
    Because I have absolutely nothing going on at work today I took a look at the past 10 drafts. You can check out the 20 previous ones

#28 Mark Ingram - Incomplete

#9 CJ Spiller - Incomplete
    #12 Ryan Matthews - Incomplete, arrow up
    #30 Jahvid Best - Incomplete, arrow down

#12 Knownshown Moreno - Bust, good job McDaniels
    #27 Donald Brown - Bust
    #31 Beanie Wells - Hit

#4 DMC - Tough to judge due to injuries, cant question productivity when healthy
    #13 J Stewart - Hit
    #22 F Jones - Bust
    #23 Mendenhall - Semi Hit
    #24 Chris Johnson - Home run

#7 Adrian Peterson - Home run
    #12 M Lynch - Hit

#2 R Bush - Semi bust/hit
    #21 L Maroney - Bust
    #27 D Williams - Hit
    #30 Addai - Semi hit

#2 R Brown - Semi hit although I would lean towards bust considering he was number 2 overall
    #4 Ced Benson - Semi Hit
    #5 Cadillac Williams - Semi Bust

#24 S Jax - Hit/Semi homerun
    #26 Chris Perry - Bust
    #30 Kevin Jones - Bust

#23 W McGahee - Hit
    #27 L Johnson - Semi Hit

#16 W Green - Bust
    #18 TJ Duckett - Semi Bust

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    Because I have absolutely nothing going on at work today I took a look at the past 10 drafts. You can check out the 20 previous ones

#28 Mark Ingram - Incomplete

#9 CJ Spiller - Incomplete
    #12 Ryan Matthews - Incomplete, arrow up
    #30 Jahvid Best - Incomplete, arrow down

#12 Knownshown Moreno - Bust, good job McDaniels
    #27 Donald Brown - Bust
    #31 Beanie Wells - Hit

#4 DMC - Tough to judge due to injuries, cant question productivity when healthy
    #13 J Stewart - Hit
    #22 F Jones - Bust
    #23 Mendenhall - Semi Hit
    #24 Chris Johnson - Home run

#7 Adrian Peterson - Home run
    #12 M Lynch - Hit

#2 R Bush - Semi bust/hit
    #21 L Maroney - Bust
    #27 D Williams - Hit
    #30 Addai - Semi hit

#2 R Brown - Semi hit although I would lean towards bust considering he was number 2 overall
    #4 Ced Benson - Semi Hit
    #5 Cadillac Williams - Semi Bust

#24 S Jax - Hit/Semi homerun
    #26 Chris Perry - Bust
    #30 Kevin Jones - Bust

#23 W McGahee - Hit
    #27 L Johnson - Semi Hit

#16 W Green - Bust
    #18 TJ Duckett - Semi Bust
    Interesting.

So based on your above analysis, do you take Richardson in the 1st round if he is available?

Hall Of Fame
    Interesting.

So based on your above analysis, do you take Richardson in the 1st round if he is available?
    Ha, after doing a thorough analysis im not so sure.

I would suspect a similar breakdown for every position though.

Regardless at #16 I have no qualms about taking any top 5 player in the draft, regardless of position. Combine that with the fact that the Jets need a legit RB in the worst way, yes I take him.