Thread: Preppers: crazy or correct?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Preppers: crazy or correct?

Share your thoughts. On one end of the spectrum you have those who make it their lifestyle to prepare for dooomsday. On the other end, you have those who will do absolutely nothing and be the first to go down if and when TSHTF. I am a tweener. I am slowly building a cache of "camping" goods. My wife things I am crazy, but I don't see anything wrong with giving yourself and your family a fighters chance.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I love the show but those folks take things a bit too far. I am a bit of a tweener in this stuff as well. I think having a supply in the house of a few months worth of food and some weapons for self defense just makes sense. There are any number of scenarios that could result in massive food and water shortages. The folks on the show take things to the extreme building fortifications and bunkers and such. If you lived like those people obsessed with the apocalypse you would have a hard time enjoying your family and appreciating the here and now.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=NxYxJets;4370667]Share your thoughts. On one end of the spectrum you have those who make it their lifestyle to prepare for dooomsday. On the other end, you have those who will do absolutely nothing and be the first to go down if and when TSHTF. I am a tweener. I am slowly building a cache of "camping" goods. My wife things I am crazy, but I don't see anything wrong with giving yourself and your family a fighters chance.[/QUOTE]

Please post your address so everyone knows where to go when TSHTF. See you will be a 1%er then so we are all entitled to your stuff!

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shelter_%28The_Twilight_Zone%29[/url]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have yet to see the show yet, gotta add it to the dvr list. I don't think the possibility of complete societal breakdown is as unlikely as some would like to think. Frankly I think this country is a sinking ship, and since the great recession hit I've been kind of waiting for signs of the other shoe dropping (but not like the preppers or in a zombiepocalypse kinda way).

I'm pressing the wife for us to get fire arms training and get two handguns for protection. I'd also like to be in a less urban area, frankly.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Trades;4370678]Please post your address so everyone knows where to go when TSHTF. See you will be a 1%er then so we are all entitled to your stuff!

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shelter_%28The_Twilight_Zone%29[/url][/QUOTE]

I wish I had everything I want/need. I live in South Florida and it scary to think what it would be like if millions of people were trying to leave this place all at once. It would be chaotic, no doubt. My plan is simple really. Have enough food,water, protection, gas, and cash to drive to the NE portion of the US. My dad lives in the sticks near the NY/PA border.

I try not to worry about this stuff too much because there really is only so much you can do. When it is your time to go, it is your time to go. I too, focus on enjoying my wife and son, working each day, and being a productive member of society.

You can't go too crazy, but a little preperation never hurt anybody. :)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=NxYxJets;4370717]I wish I had everything I want/need. I live in South Florida and it scary to think what it would be like if millions of people were trying to leave this place all at once. It would be chaotic, no doubt. My plan is simple really. Have enough food,water, protection, gas, and cash to drive to the NE portion of the US. My dad lives in the sticks near the NY/PA border.

I try not to worry about this stuff too much because there really is only so much you can do. When it is your time to go, it is your time to go. I too, focus on enjoying my wife and son, working each day, and being a productive member of society.

You can't go too crazy, but a little preperation never hurt anybody. :)[/QUOTE]

Is it odd that I'm in the NE and my plan was to migrate to the south because of the colder climate up here. In southern areas the likely hood of surviving a camp out type situation. I have been working on organizing some of my friends in the area to go to the range for basic weapons training as well.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=chiefst2000;4370787]Is it odd that I'm in the NE and my plan was to migrate to the south because of the colder climate up here. In southern areas the likely hood of surviving a camp out type situation. I have been working on organizing some of my friends in the area to go to the range for basic weapons training as well.[/QUOTE]

Well, if the poles shift, we are all screwed. If it is anarchy, anywhere remote is good, I think. I choose the NE because my family has land there, not a lot. Enough to garden, plenty of wildlife, an abundance of firewood, and a well.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=NxYxJets;4370809]Well, if the poles shift, we are all screwed. If it is anarchy, anywhere remote is good, I think. I choose the NE because my family has land there, not a lot. Enough to garden, plenty of wildlife, an abundance of firewood, and a well.[/QUOTE]

Good luck making it all the way to NE. Roads could be blocked, no gas, crazy traffic.If I was in Florida I'd be headed for the Bayou. Plenty of wildlife there for food. Its somewhat remote. Just watch out for the hillbillys.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not a bad idea. I hope to be out of FL in the next 2-3 years. I wouldn't take the major roadways and I want to have at least 5 extra canisters of gasoline.

Do I sound like a nutjob right now?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=NxYxJets;4370667]Share your thoughts. On one end of the spectrum you have those who make it their lifestyle to prepare for dooomsday. On the other end, you have those who will do absolutely nothing and be the first to go down if and when TSHTF. I am a tweener. I am slowly building a cache of "camping" goods. My wife things I am crazy, but I don't see anything wrong with giving yourself and your family a fighters chance.[/QUOTE]

Saw the show ONCE. Those people are wackos. That said, I do have about 1 month canned goods, water etc AND its the reason I bought 2 guns with plenty of ammo.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'll be upset if I can't download Net p0rn. Only thing I'm worried about....

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've seen the show.

And I question there reasons for prepping, still i agree with results, for the most part.

I plan on bugging in, at least to begin with, I see the most likely SHTF situation as being a Katrina event, in my case earth quake.

So we figure 2 months of food and $2,000 in the house, along with water for at least a month.That should buy us time for things to settle down, and then we will go either north, south, or east towards family, if needed. If it is a Katrina event, then I want to be on site to help rebuild.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Closest I have come is wanting to get a gun but I postponed the purchase until after the divorce. I figure there was no reason to invite temptation. Now that it is over I am thinking about getting one.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have some level of readiness. Check the gun shows in your local area too for some good sales:)

Make sure that the ammo is stacked. Keep plenty of water. Get some MRE's vice can goods. Easier to carry and prepare.

Stay safe and ready. Unemployment usually means a rise in crimes.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetdawgg;4371207]I have some level of readiness. Check the gun shows in your local area too for some good sales:)

Make sure that the ammo is stacked. Keep plenty of water. Get some MRE's vice can goods. Easier to carry and prepare.

Stay safe and ready. Unemployment usually means a rise in crimes.[/QUOTE]

Can we join your new city/state? Must be cat-friendly. :D

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=quantum;4370872]I'll be upset if I can't download Net p0rn. Only thing I'm worried about....[/QUOTE]

Just head to PK's house. :D

All Pro
    Annoying Chowd

Post Thanks / Like
    Some of these people take it a bit to the extreme but basically it's a good idea to be prepared for anything.

As technology advances and man finds more efficient/effective ways to kill man, who knows, we could be facing these types of scenarios these people are preparing for.

How long before terrorists get a hold of some pox/super bug that would be the equivalent of the bubonic plague of Medieval Europe?

It's not a bad thing to be prepared.....