Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Act of Valor opens this weekend. Anyone seeing it?

Hall Of Fame

Act of Valor opens this weekend. Anyone seeing it?

I'll probably be there Friday night. Looks like a pretty unique film.

Plus Roselyn Sanchez is in it as a bonus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnlPgo9TaGo
    _

Hall Of Fame
    Just got back.

Liked it a LOT. Really really powerful combat scenes, the weaponry was just outstanding. Snipers, Swift Boats, Black Hawks, M-16s, H-K sub machine guns, drones, submarines, high explosives, HALO parachutes, tube rockets, SEALs silently rising out of the water with guns trained, RPGs, the whole package. Tons of explosions, head shots, hot extractions, just amazing stuff.

Some sappy stuff, some of the dialogue a bit corny, but considering none of these guys are professional actors but real Navy SEALs, I'd have to say they did a great job.

And the actual story is pretty good, some total edge of your seat stuff. Very suspensful, obviously over-the-top, but it made for a very entertaining flick.

Incredible what these guys do--very happy they're on our team. Don't believe the Rotten Tomatoes reviews--a very worthy effort. If you like action movies, this is for you and it's all real. True heros, true commandos.

Not Jason Statham killing 9 guys at the same time with his bare hands.

_

Jets Insider VIP
    You guys like the worst movies.

Veteran
    Gah, this movie looks just terrible.

Doubt this ones makes onto the list. Glad you enjoyed it, though.

Not sure why all the hate. We're going tomorrow. Thanks for the detailed review Stokesy. Sounds good

Rookie
    Definitely looking forward to this one as anything modern military is in my wheelhouse. I've read a bunch about the SEALs, Delta, SF, and 160th SOAR, can never get enough of it. This is not the right forum for it, but these guys and the men like them should be the only "foreign policy" we need.

just got back from the movie an hour ago and it was pretty good. action scenes were ridiculously good but as mentioned above there are some sappy scenes but otherwise good movie

This started off being a recruiting commercial for the Navy, and they kept filming and filming until they realized that they should just make a movie out of it.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    Didn't say it was my favorite movie of the year but it was a really good effort.

What movies you liking this year Ruby?

Come on, post a review.

I see more movies a year than anyone on this site, I'll give almost anything a chance. Artsy fartsy, foreign films, serious dramas, stupid comedies, kick ass action films--I'll see anything and everything (other than musicals and Tyler Perry movies).

There really hasn't been a lot of good out there lately--if you want to see a real live action film, this one doesn't disappoint. The hot extraction on the swift boats laying down suppression fire was one of the most intense action sequences I've seen in quite a while.

Of course if you don't like action films, this one isn't for you.

So Ruby, what have you seen lately that's been outstanding?

Quote Originally Posted by ubrnostrum View Post
    Gah, this movie looks just terrible.

Did you see it?

No?

Thanks for your helpful review.

I'm a little on the patriotic side, my brother was a Marine fighter pilot, I like watching sophisticated weaponry and stuff getting all blowed up, so maybe that's why I liked it.

Maybe that's why you wouldn't.

The Vow was playing in one of the other theaters, let us all know how it was, thankee.

_

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasper17 View Post
    Definitely looking forward to this one as anything modern military is in my wheelhouse. I've read a bunch about the SEALs, Delta, SF, and 160th SOAR, can never get enough of it. This is not the right forum for it, but these guys and the men like them should be the only "foreign policy" we need.
    Wait till you see how they handle the Russian Billionaire funding the terrorists.

My GF was like "can they do that?"

And I said, "they just did!"

_

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite View Post
    Not sure why all the hate. We're going tomorrow. Thanks for the detailed review Stokesy. Sounds good
    dont worry bro, they just mad because its not mark whalberg approved

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    Didn't say it was my favorite movie of the year but it was a really good effort.

Come on, post a review.

I see more movies a year than anyone on this site, I'll give almost anything a chance. Artsy fartsy, foreign films, serious dramas, stupid comedies, kick ass action films--I'll see anything and everything (other than musicals and Tyler Perry movies).

There really hasn't been a lot of good out there lately--if you want to see a real live action film, this one doesn't disappoint. The hot extraction on the swift boats laying down suppression fire was one of the most intense action sequences I've seen in quite a while.

Did you see it?

No?

I'm a little on the patriotic side, my brother was a Marine fighter pilot, I like watching sophisticated weaponry and stuff getting all blowed up, so maybe that's why I liked it.

The Vow was playing in one of the other theaters, let us all know how it was, thankee.

_

So much rage for such a little man...

I'm looking forward to it. There was an interesting article in the Times today about how it was made. John is right, essentially it is a recruiting video, commissioned by the Navy (and so was Top Gun, which I had no idea). It's badass that they used real SEALs.

Switching gears, I saw The Artist last weekend. What a great, fun film. I loved it. Jean Dujardin is a terrific actor.

I also saw The Descendents. That was ok, not worthy of the hype.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post

I'm looking forward to it. There was an interesting article in the Times today about how it was made. John is right, essentially it is a recruiting video, commissioned by the Navy (and so was Top Gun, which I had no idea). It's badass that they used real SEALs.

Switching gears, I saw The Artist last weekend. What a great, fun film. I loved it. Jean Dujardin is a terrific actor.

The guys in the movie are not "Team 6" guys, rather from Coronado (west coast).

Regardless, they're better than the IDIOTS we're fighting against in the desert deserve.

Veteran
    Did you see it?

No?

_
    Sheesh, you asked if anyone was going to see it, I said I wouldn't because I didn't think it looked good. Didn't realize that we had to jerk the film off. I like action films as much as any guy, but there's just too much sap in them nowadays... and you admitted that.

Once again, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post

No, not rage , I just donít understand why folks feel compelled to sh*t on threads they have no interest in.

If it was a stupid Jason Statham movie or The Rock playing the tooth fairy or Hugh Jackman building fighting robotsóthen fire away.

These are real Navy SEALs. You need to dump on the film without having seen it?

Like my grandmother used to say, if you donít have anything nice to say, STFU.

Have The Artist and The Descendants on my Netflix Queue, can't wait.

_

Jets Insider VIP

Come on, post a review.

Did you see it?

No?

_
    I haven't walked out of a theater wowed in a long time. Granted I don't see that many new releases, because frankly, not many of them appeal to me.

Hall Of Fame
    I haven't walked out of a theater wowed in a long time. Granted I don't see that many new releases, because frankly, not many of them appeal to me.
    It's honestly been quite a while since I walked out wowed by anything.

This was a worthy effort because it was real SEALs, some very VERY cool weaponry.

They had video surveilance cameras in one of those little balsam planes we used to play with as kids--the ones with thr rubber bands that you wind up and trow in the air and they fly for about 30-40 seconds?

The thing was a foot long, 1-1/2 wing span with a motor and a digital camera so they could surveil what was going on at the camp they were going to hit--remote controlled by the SEAL on the ground and he was radio-ing his team where the bad guys were. Then a sniper would quietly pick them off.

Maybe it should have been a NatGeo special, but it was pretty impressive.

The back story and corny scenes were filler between the action shot. Night vision goggles, tracer rounds painting what looked like laser beams, fragmentation grenades, the works.

Pretty amazing stuff.

_

So what movies have you seen lately that you recommend?

Are you more of a art house movie kind of person?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by IHATEDOLPHINS View Post
    So what movies have you seen lately that you recommend?

Are you more of a art house movie kind of person?
    I saw Misery for the first time on Netflix the other day. It was awesome.

I am an avid movie hater, not trying to offend anyone.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Have The Artist and The Descendants on my Netflix Queue, can't wait.

_
    If you can, try and see The Artist in a theater. I have a feeling that at home it's just not the same experience, if that makes sense. Watching it really makes you feel like you've traveled back to the 1920s.