Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: INTERESTING MUSIC VIDS/ARTICLES

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

INTERESTING MUSIC VIDS/ARTICLES

Saw this clip the other day of a tour of the Fender factory--Fullerton, CA--in 1959. Thought we needed a thread to post similar information and/or items of interest pertaining to the music world, no matter the genre.

Check out how the woodworker shapes the guitar freehand. Starts at approx. :51.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nswcA...51RVAAAAAAAABQ

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Before I bought my Sunn, I had a 70s-era Bassman (first image), which neither looked or sounded like this classic (video). What monster tone from the 1960 model.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PaiD...eature=related

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Funny that such a rock icon wears shoes with velcro. Maybe Satan demands it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgLkqELGBf8

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Before I bought my Sunn, I had a 70s-era Bassman (first image), which neither looked or sounded like this classic (video). What monster tone from the 1960 model.

I had the same BASS amp in the late 70's. Bought it used. Never really liked it because it had 2 12 inch speaker cones that simply didnt provide enough power for the music we were playing.

Funny..but then went to a small 15 inch amp as I only played Jazz with my acoustic from basically 1979 to 1985. Any other music was lounge music and the 15 inch amp held up fine.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Saw this clip the other day of a tour of the Fender factory--Fullerton, CA--in 1959. Thought we needed a thread to post similar information and/or items of interest pertaining to the music world, no matter the genre.

Check out how the woodworker shapes the guitar freehand. Starts at approx. :51.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nswcA...51RVAAAAAAAABQ
    That was a pretty cool vid, thanks.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    I had the same BASS amp in the late 70's. Bought it used. Never really liked it because it had 2 12 inch speaker cones that simply didnt provide enough power for the music we were playing.

Funny..but then went to a small 15 inch amp as I only played Jazz with my acoustic from basically 1979 to 1985. Any other music was lounge music and the 15 inch amp held up fine.
    Exactly why I bought a used Sunn with a 100 watt head after playing through my Bassman.. That thing was LOUD.

Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    That was a pretty cool vid, thanks.
    Glad you dug it.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Phil Collen from Def leppard talking about a song on Hysteria, and where they "got' it from. By the way Phil Collen underrated guitarist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfU55SBwJn4

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 2milehighJet View Post
    Phil Collen from Def leppard talking about a song on Hysteria, and where they "got' it from. By the way Phil Collen underrated guitarist.
    I like Collen. Wish he's turn down the bare chested theatrics on stage, though. Phil, you're getting a bit long in the tooth.

Hey, speaking of great riffs. Check out R.L. Burnside's deft fret work. One of the true Mississippi Delta blues masters. How many rock songs can you hear were lifted from this gem?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYYg-...eature=related

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Man that sound made me jizz a little. I actually play through a Traynor 4x10 tube amp and I love the clean tone. They're made to order in canada. It has a clean and overdrive channel. The overdrive is worthless, but the clean is actually really really good and very responsive to volume adjustments. All you do is basically crank the clean channel volume, dial back the master, and then control gain from the guitar volume and your style of attack with the pick or your fingers. Pure bliss. Add in some compression from my analogman Dual Comp pedal and daaaaamn.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Exactly why I bought a used Sunn with a 100 watt head after playing through my Bassman.. That thing was LOUD.

Glad you dug it.
    Did it have ONE large speaker in a reflex cabinet? I bought (I THINK) a SUNN, reflex cabinet with one large speaker (I think 28inch) with a built in fuzz box in 1979 (bought used). YES..it was LOUD and big. Needed a station wagon etc...to move it from gig to gig.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    Man that sound made me jizz a little. I actually play through a Traynor 4x10 tube amp and I love the clean tone. They're made to order in canada. It has a clean and overdrive channel. The overdrive is worthless, but the clean is actually really really good and very responsive to volume adjustments. All you do is basically crank the clean channel volume, dial back the master, and then control gain from the guitar volume and your style of attack with the pick or your fingers. Pure bliss. Add in some compression from my analogman Dual Comp pedal and daaaaamn.
    We can only imagine what Jimi must have sounded playing through that thing. It's just dripping with buttery tone.

Thanks for that tour through your Traynor rig. Sounds like it rocks.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Did it have ONE large speaker in a reflex cabinet? I bought (I THINK) a SUNN, reflex cabinet with one large speaker (I think 28inch) with a built in fuzz box in 1979 (bought used). YES..it was LOUD and big. Needed a station wagon etc...to move it from gig to gig.
    This is a 60 watt version of my amp. Can't remember if it had two 15s or four 10s.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    We can only imagine what Jimi must have sounded playing through that thing. It's just dripping with buttery tone.

Thanks for that tour through your Traynor rig. Sounds like it rocks.
    Thanks man, they're not well known and they're expensive as hell. You and I have been BS'ing on music for a long time now.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks man, they're not well known and they're expensive as hell. You and I have been BS'ing on music for a long time now.
    I remember Traynor from the the old days, but don't think I ever knew anyone who had one. Almost everyone I hung out with played through Marshall, Fender, Ampeg, Peavey, as well as the occasional Vox and Kustom.

Same username over at the other place or a new one here?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is a 60 watt version of my amp. Can't remember if it had two 15s or four 10s.

Yeah...I believe mine was a SUNN also with ONE 18 or24 inch (I think) speaker
    in a reflex cabinet.

I remember playing some Grand Funk through it and thinking it sounded great. I was a senior in high school and those were the good ole days. Fender Precision, Sunn Bass amp, girls, playing high school parties. Ahh....youth is wasted on the young!

Friend of mine is doing a CD so I sat in on a professional studio recording. He let me squeeze in 2 songs on my acoustic Guitar. Funny how nervous one gets. I was a bit rushed but it was OK. Gonna go back after tax season and rent the studio all day (about $500) and do 6 tunes.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I remember Traynor from the the old days, but don't think I ever knew anyone who had one. Almost everyone I hung out with played through Marshall, Fender, Ampeg, Peavey, as well as the occasional Vox and Kustom.

Same username over at the other place or a new one here?
    Different name, I guess there's no PM system here though.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Different name, I guess there's no PM system here though.
    Sure there is. Click on User CP and go into Edit Options, then enable Private Messaging. I tried to PM you, but you must have it disabled.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah...I believe mine was a SUNN also with ONE 18 or24 inch (I think) speaker
    in a reflex cabinet.

I remember playing some Grand Funk through it and thinking it sounded great. I was a senior in high school and those were the good ole days. Fender Precision, Sunn Bass amp, girls, playing high school parties. Ahh....youth is wasted on the young!

Friend of mine is doing a CD so I sat in on a professional studio recording. He let me squeeze in 2 songs on my acoustic Guitar. Funny how nervous one gets. I was a bit rushed but it was OK. Gonna go back after tax season and rent the studio all day (about $500) and do 6 tunes.
    That sounds like a blast. Post the tunes once their done.

Speaking of Grand Funk, I saw this nugget the other day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dzlT...e1RVAAAAAAAABA

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sure there is. Click on User CP and go into Edit Options, then enable Private Messaging. I tried to PM you, but you must have it disabled.
    Nah, it isn't there. Only visitor messaging is an option. I wonder if it's because I'm a noob here.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    That sounds like a blast. Post the tunes once their done.

Speaking of Grand Funk, I saw this nugget the other day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dzlT...e1RVAAAAAAAABA
    I would never post that on JI...... as a Bass player, I once considered myself a professional. As a singer/guitar player, well...not so much.

BTW...isn't "They're", not "Their"???? Always remembered you correcting my grammar once a long time ago.

This was the tune I had in mind from high school days....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0x6chChxzV0