Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OWS getting serious?

Jets Insider VIP

OWS getting serious?

[URL="http://www.the99declaration.org/"]http://www.the99declaration.org/[/URL]

Way too much to re-post here, so go read and then come back and comment.

I actually agree with a lot of it, but #7 (Protection of the Planet) and #17 (Ending the Electoral College) are deal-killers.

And not one word about excessive executive compensation?! WTF?! :mad:

I just looked through it. No details as far as I can see. At least it is a serious attempt at a platform. Kudos for trying i guess.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=chiefst2000;4373143]I just looked through it. No details as far as I can see. At least it is a serious attempt at a platform. Kudos for trying i guess.[/QUOTE]

Did you follow the links from the home page?

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=quantum;4373233]Did you follow the links from the home page?[/QUOTE]

I clicked a few of the links. Didn't find anything of value in them. They still sound more like gripes than actual solutions with any level of detail. A lot of it presents off of total falsehoods, too.

A "fair tax plan" isn't a plan. How specifically do we make it "fairer"? They leave out so much of the story of our current tax plan that it barely scratches the surface of the issue.

Don't expect this to go any further than sleeping in the park did.

Instead of Occupy Wall Street, how about Occupy a Desk(Work) oops a four letter word.

I just clicked one of the links. The comments section is great reading. One guy complaining that people should not be allowed to own land. Encourages greed or something. Classic stuff.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=chiefst2000;4373252]I just clicked one of the links. The comments section is great reading. One guy complaining that people should not be allowed to own land. Encourages greed or something. Classic stuff.[/QUOTE]

Silly commies.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE]
    I. In the Spring of 2012, the People shall elect two Delegates, one [B]identifying as male and one identifying as female[/B] :rolleyes: , by democratic vote, from each of the existing 435 Congressional Districts, to represent the People at a NATIONAL GENERAL ASSEMBLY. Voting is through a secure online system and provided by Votenet Solutions.

II. The newly elected Delegates shall meet electronically, or in person if possible, to confer and write the [B]PETITION FOR A REDRESS OF GRIEVANCES. [/B]The Delegates alone, in consultation with their constituents will be responsible for the content of the final petition.

III. During the week of July 4, 2012, the 876 delegates will meet in Philadelphia for a National General Assembly (NGA) to ratify and sign a final petition on July 4th for a redress of grievances. The ratified PETITION FOR A REDRESS OF GRIEVANCES will be signed by the Delegates during a ceremony at Independence Hall the afternoon of July 4, 2012.

IV. The ratified petition will be presented to all 535 members of Congress, the 9 members of the Supreme Court, the President of the United States and each of the political candidates seeking federal public office in the November 2012 general election. Candidates will be asked to respond to the petition, and their responses will be shared with the voting public.

V. The National General Assembly gives the 113th Congress, President and the Supreme Court reasonable time to act upon and redress the grievances listed in the petition. If the grievances are not redressed to the satisfaction of the NGA, delegates reconvene to organize a new grassroots campaign for political candidates who publicly PLEDGE to redress the grievances. These candidates will seek election for all open Congressional seats in the mid-term election of 2014 and in the elections of 2016 and 2018.

HELP DRAFT THIS HISTORIC DOCUMENT!
    [/QUOTE]
    [url]http://www.the99declaration.org/plan[/url]

"PETITION FOR A REDRESS OF GRIEVANCES" is this a petition for legitimizing Festivus?

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=chiefst2000;4373252]I just clicked one of the links. The comments section is great reading. One guy complaining that people should not be allowed to own land. Encourages greed or something. Classic stuff.[/QUOTE]

I see peyote is making a come back. Wonder where I can get some.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

You can't, like, own land, man! Mother Earth is for everyone... unless she ends up... owning you!

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Trades;4373261][url]http://www.the99declaration.org/plan[/url]

"PETITION FOR A REDRESS OF GRIEVANCES" is this a petition for legitimizing Festivus?[/QUOTE]

It's a Festivus miracle!

Jets Insider VIP
    Surprised there isn't anything about the bottomless pit that is the "War on Drugs". Read a story today about law enforcement in Florida and their High School sting operations. Sent young female officers who looked underage into school systems where they spent months attending classes, befriending male students, flirting with them, texting, Facebook, etc....then eventually asking them to score some dimebags and in one case a single joint....and then swooping in and arresting the offending hooligans and arresting them for distribution and sale of marijuana.

Weird. And a bit sick.

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4373364]Surprised there isn't anything about the bottomless pit that is the "War on Drugs". Read a story today about law enforcement in Florida and their High School sting operations. Sent young female officers who looked underage into school systems where they spent months attending classes, befriending male students, flirting with them, texting, Facebook, etc....then eventually asking them to score some dimebags and in one case a single joint....and then swooping in and arresting the offending hooligans and arresting them for distribution and sale of marijuana.

Weird. And a bit sick.[/QUOTE]

Wow that is messed up if true.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=chiefst2000;4373370]Wow that is messed up if true.[/QUOTE]

[url]http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2011-05-09/news/fl-palm-schools-breaking-story-20110509_1_drug-sting-long-term-drug-investigation-police-chief-jim-kelly[/url]

Can't find the article I read about the Facebook and text flirting....have to check history on laptop later.

I have no problem with schools having a zero-tolerance drug policy...and those policies being enforced. But devoting so muck energy, time, money and resources into an "undercover" operation where cops are posing as high school kids for almost an entire school year?

That's just insane. Especially in freaking Florida. Hey guys. Psst. The drugs? Yeah...they're on the boats, you dumba**es.

Jets Insider VIP
    Found it:

[QUOTE][url]http://www.unitedliberty.org/articles/9603-law-enforcement-needs-to-reassess-its-priorities[/url]

In a story that will shock and disgust any sane American, Florida police officers went undercover into high schools and spent weeks befriending students…who they then tricked into becoming marijuana users:

Last year in three high schools in Florida, several undercover police officers posed as students. The undercover cops went to classes, became Facebook friends and flirted with the other students. One 18-year-old honor student named Justin fell in love with an attractive 25-year-old undercover cop after spending weeks sharing stories about their lives, texting and flirting with each other.

One day she asked Justin if he smoked pot. Even though he didn’t smoke marijuana, the love-struck teen promised to help find some for her. Every couple of days she would text him asking if he had the marijuana. Finally, Justin was able to get it to her. She tried to give him $25 for the marijuana and he said he didn’t want the money — he got it for her as a present.

A short while later, the police did a big sweep and arrest 31 students — including Justin. Almost all were charged with selling a small amount of marijuana to the undercover cops. Now Justin has a felony hanging over his head.

This is outrageous.

First of all, I don’t think 25 year old police officers should be dating 18-year old high school students; that’s just inappropriate in any situation. But second (and third) they are now fabricating criminals out of whole cloth, while wasting scarce police resources that could be put to far better uses.

What is the point of the police? Their duty is to protect our lives and property, and uphold the rule of law. Without a clear rule of law, no market—or any society—could function. For that reason, police and law enforcement are a very important and critical part of a classical liberal (read: libertarian) society.

But the people we have now are very clearly not upholding the rule of law, and are in fact massively perverting it. They are literally going into our communities and pressuring young citizens into committing crimes. If they had done nothing, no crime (and, considering this is for drug use, I should really put that in scare quotes) would have been committed, meaning we would have been just as safe as if the cops had done nothing. Think about that: if the cops do nothing, that’s just the same as if the cops do something. What sort of screwed up world is that?

And its not just local cops. Remember the Portland Christmas tree bomber from two years ago? That and other cases were results of the Federal Bureau of Investigation basically giving weapons and information to people and turning them into terrorists so they could later be arrested. That’s right: the FBI basically concoted terror plots out of whole cloth, then arrested people they dragged into their elaborately spun webs. They weren’t going out after genuine terrorists, they were creating fake ones and then arresting them to make the FBI look like it was “doing something.”

Am I the only one who thinks that our law enforcement community doesn’t have its priorities straight? There are murderers and rapists and thieves and arsonists out there, actually engaged in crime, yet our police—who are constantly haranguing the public about needing more and more funds because they don’t have enough to put all the bad boys behind bars and keep us safe—are out there inventing criminals.

Clearly, they have far, far too much time on their hands, and probably too much money too. I think a few budget cuts, perhaps some elimination of police unions, demilitarization—hey, if you’re wasting your time, you don’t get to play with the M-16s and tanks—and a radical reduction in the length of the penal code would be good. Oh, and perhaps firing these officers and taking away their pensions. Let’s start with that, actually.

Though the first thing we should do is pardon the young man who was tricked into this. He will have a felony over his head for the rest of his life, not because he was a genuine criminal who did harm to another, but because a police officer, as part of a long-term campaign, forced him into doing drugs.

Shame on you, Florida. Shame.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4373378]Found it:[/QUOTE]

Facts would be nice, no?

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=cr726;4373385]Facts would be nice, no?[/QUOTE]

I dunno. The story is in dozens of regular newspapers in the Florida area.

Just not really ethical, IMO. Especially in a state like Florida. The drug problem there isn't in the high schools...it's along their maritime border where 1/2 the drugs in the US originate from.

Would be like using a grenade on a single termite on your porch...while a 5 foot termite mound is in your front yard.

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4373388]I dunno. The story is in dozens of regular newspapers in the Florida area.

Just not really ethical, IMO. Especially in a state like Florida. The drug problem there isn't in the high schools...it's along their maritime border where 1/2 the drugs in the US originate from.

Would be like using a grenade on a single termite on your porch...while a 5 foot termite mound is in your front yard.[/QUOTE]

United liberty.org got very specific without citing facts.

Jets Insider VIP
    Does this mean I have to screen the high school kids I get my weed from now?

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=JetPotato;4373423]Does this mean I have to screen the high school kids I get my weed from now?[/QUOTE]

You're on a roll today, brother :D