Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dow hit 13,000 today

Practice Squad

Dow hit 13,000 today

Is it safe to look at my 401k again?

Its safe to look and it is probably safe to slim down on some of your positions. A confrontation is likely coming with Iran in the coming months. Election years often have markets at a standstill. Tons of uncertainty still out there. Massive inflation is likely the next bubble. I am thinking of moving 30-40% of my portfolio in to TIP's.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=chiefst2000;4373135]Its safe to look and it is probably safe to slim down on some of your positions. A confrontation is likely coming with Iran in the coming months. Election years often have markets at a standstill. Tons of uncertainty still out there. Massive inflation is likely the next bubble. I am thinking of moving 30-40% of my portfolio in to TIP's.[/QUOTE]

Look at the Vanguard Wellesley income fund. BIG 50K minimum but a GREAT fund for uncertain times. About 40 percent equity/60 percent managed fixed income.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=chiefst2000;4373135]Its safe to look and it is probably safe to slim down on some of your positions. A confrontation is likely coming with Iran in the coming months. Election years often have markets at a standstill. Tons of uncertainty still out there. Massive inflation is likely the next bubble. I am thinking of moving 30-40% of my portfolio in to TIP's.[/QUOTE]

Confrontation? No, we'll just keep talking.

Can anyone point to anything that's been gained by talking to Iran since the hostage release? ANYTHING. ONE THING. :dunno:

[QUOTE=quantum;4373236]Confrontation? No, we'll just keep talking.

Can anyone point to anything that's been gained by talking to Iran since the hostage release? ANYTHING. ONE THING. :dunno:[/QUOTE]

The Israelis are likely to hit the nuke facilities in the next few months. The U.S. will reluctantly let Israel do the dirty work for us.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=majormajor42;4373100]Is it safe to look at my 401k again?[/QUOTE]

No you would be better off posting your name, SSN, account number, brokerage house and address and I will take a look for you.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Legalized gambling. You're better off betting against the Jets every week for a retirement plan.

[QUOTE=chiefst2000;4373244]The Israelis are likely to hit the nuke facilities in the next few months. The U.S. will reluctantly let Israel do the dirty work for us.[/QUOTE]

that's how I like it

[QUOTE=chiefst2000;4373244]The Israelis are likely to hit the nuke facilities in the next few months. The U.S. will reluctantly let Israel do the dirty work for us.[/QUOTE]

Thats not going to happen.
    And FYI, Israel never does the dirty work for the USA. Its always the other way around.

Practice Squad
    Was watching the news last night. Said something like 150 million americans have 401ks. I remember back in 2008, during some social events in September/October all the older folks of my parents generation were getting to retirement age and they were dealing with the market crash and the hit to their savings. I'm not sure what they did the last few years. Maybe they are in better shape now.

But then there was also the triple whammy of their other nest egg, their home's value, crashing and if they wanted to stay working or come out of retirement, that wasn't so easy to do either.

Now, even with the market back up, gas prices could stifle the recovery for many. Back in 2008, prices spiked over the summer just as the recession was getting under way. That gas price bubble burst quite dramatically before the end of the year as the recession hit full force around the globe. Now, with many predicting $5 gas or higher by the summer, it seems a fairly easy bet to buy oil/gas, which is only driving up the price higher. Oh, don't forget Iran. no idea if this is another bubble like in 2008. I'm just glad I now have a 35mpg car instead of the 21mpg car I had in 2008.

Hall Of Fame
    I'm just gonna kill myself before retirement...maybe launch my car into oncoming traffic during rush hour. I dunno. What's the point of being alive when your old? So you can b*tch about arthritis, wear polyester, smell funny, have white stuff in the corners of your mouth and take 22 medications a day?

Is it really worth it? Does Sanka really taste that good? Is BINGO really that fun? Are adult diaper that comfortable? I dunno....

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4373675]I'm just gonna kill myself before retirement...maybe launch my car into oncoming traffic during rush hour. I dunno. What's the point of being alive when your old? So you can b*tch about arthritis, wear polyester, smell funny, have white stuff in the corners of your mouth and take 22 medications a day?

Is it really worth it? Does Sanka really taste that good? Is BINGO really that fun? Are adult diaper that comfortable? I dunno....[/QUOTE]

You could always go to orgies with Monsieur DSK. :D

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=quantum;4373698]You could always go to orgies with Monsieur DSK. :D[/QUOTE]

lmao!!

With the dubstepped Frank Sinatra remixes and the stretched out testicles dragging on the floor everywhere. Ball slapping. Like a sir :P

[QUOTE=kennyo7;4373609]Thats not going to happen.
    And FYI, Israel never does the dirty work for the USA. Its always the other way around.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for clearing that up. I thought Israel took out the nuclear reactors in Iraq and Syria. I guess it was Americans disguised as Israelis. When America condemned Israel after taking out Iraq's reactor that was a smoke screen right? I also thought Israel defeated the combined armies of Egypt, Syria, Jordan, Lebanon and Iraq in their past wars. You are saying that we Americans were there fighting too?

The true reaction is that America absolutely SHOULD be taking out Irans reactors and ending this nonesense. Sadly we are too scared of the Iranians. Look at the Syria situation. Syria is under Iran's protection. The world is cowering at Iran's heels by not arming the rebels there like we did inecplicably in Lybia. Iran is an enemy to the world. Taking out their proxy government in Syria would be a blow to our enemy. Instead we took out Ghadafi. A man that was neutered and a threat to no one. Great strategy.

[QUOTE=majormajor42;4373100]Is it safe to look at my 401k again?[/QUOTE]

Are you 59 and a half?

Practice Squad
    [QUOTE=Frequent Flyer;4374225]Are you 59 and a half?[/QUOTE]

nope

[QUOTE=majormajor42;4374518]nope[/QUOTE]

Then it's completely worthless.

Practice Squad
    why?

[QUOTE=majormajor42;4375647]why?[/QUOTE]

Worrying about it won't help. Managing your own won't do either. Suggest you turn it over to a QUALIFIED manager at a MAJOR brokerage. They manage for a living. My guy has done well with both my wife's and my IRA account. Separately I manage our non IRA accounts for fun.
    Have found that equity mutual funds do not perform as well as good stocks. Have 100% stocks in the IRA. Mix of stocks and bond mutuals in the non IRA

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=palmetto defender;4375673]Worrying about it won't help. Managing your own won't do either. Suggest you turn it over to a QUALIFIED manager at a MAJOR brokerage. They manage for a living. My guy has done well with both my wife's and my IRA account. Separately I manage our non IRA accounts for fun.
    Have found that equity mutual funds do not perform as well as good stocks. Have 100% stocks in the IRA. Mix of stocks and bond mutuals in the non IRA[/QUOTE]

PD....

All due respect, I manage money for a living and I have found that the MAJOR houses are many times salesmen following analyst reccomendations. Not always of course.

Unless someone has 250K...individual stocks IMO become problematic. Also, in a 401K, stock usually are not available. I pay no fees of course and have well above 250K but I own only a few stocks. I use Vanguard, Pimco, TRowe and American funds and am pleased.