Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dow hit 13,000 today

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=OCCH;4376370]More to the point, I just can't fathom how people (you?) think more gov't is a good thing. It's their job to GOVERN, not produce social equity. Even if they mean well, it's just not a realistic endgame, yet trillions of dollars later we still don't seem to get it . . .[/QUOTE]

Different sides to the same coin.

Some people (you?) think it's ok to spend trillions inventing weaponry to kill. Chemical agents that make people's skin drip off of their skeletons, biological agents that make people vomit up their innards and endure an excruciating death over the course of a week and nuclear weapons that wreak havoc on humanity for hundreds of years in the form of radiation and genetic mutation due to radiation.

Other people? Think that spending trillions in food stamps and housing assistance is ok.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=cr726;4376181]Yep that's the "only real" difference. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

He forgot olive presses.

[QUOTE=Jungle Shift Jet;4376384]He forgot olive presses.[/QUOTE]

Nice!

[QUOTE=southparkcpa;4375728]PD....

All due respect, I manage money for a living and I have found that the MAJOR houses are many times salesmen following analyst reccomendations. Not always of course.

Unless someone has 250K...individual stocks IMO become problematic. Also, in a 401K, stock usually are not available. I pay no fees of course and have well above 250K but I own only a few stocks. I use Vanguard, Pimco, TRowe and American funds and am pleased.[/QUOTE]

Been with my guy for 36 years. Major brokerage. His wife and son are also in his "group" plus others. He doesn't sell. If a guy tries selling, he should be avoided like the plaque. He is an analyst as well as a portfolio manager. He has absolute control over my retirement funds. I control and run a couple personal accounts. I do all the research on those. And I do NOT listen to Cramer.
    I have over 250K. Actually 10 times that in stock. I like mutuals for my bonds. It is easy to understand stocks. Bonds not so - especially municipals. That's why I let the mutual guys do the work for bonds. Stock funds - too many built in fees and ongoing.
    The fund companies you note are all good. I have different ones for my bonds. Franklin, Nuveen, Alliance Bernstein, Invesco.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4376377]Different sides to the same coin.

Some people (you?) think it's ok to spend trillions inventing weaponry to kill. Chemical agents that make people's skin drip off of their skeletons, biological agents that make people vomit up their innards and endure an excruciating death over the course of a week and nuclear weapons that wreak havoc on humanity for hundreds of years in the form of radiation and genetic mutation due to radiation.

Other people? Think that spending trillions in food stamps and housing assistance is ok.[/QUOTE]

And there certainly aren't people who think both are foolish :rolleyes:

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=JetPotato;4377586]And there certainly aren't people who think both are foolish :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Or people who think that both are OK.

But this is Wrestle-Election-Mania!!! With us or against us...IN A STEEL CAGE MATCH TO THE DEATH!!! :P

[QUOTE=OCCH;4376370]More to the point, I just can't fathom how people (you?) think more gov't is a good thing. It's their job to GOVERN, not produce social equity. Even if they mean well, it's just not a realistic endgame, yet trillions of dollars later we still don't seem to get it . . .[/QUOTE]

In a democracy why shouldn't social equity be part of governments function if the electorate demands it?

[QUOTE=Winstonbiggs;4377721]In a democracy why shouldn't social equity be part of governments function if the electorate demands it?[/QUOTE]

Very true, which is why I have to accept it. Doesn't mean I have to agree with it, or the way it has (ineffectively) been implemented . . .

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Winstonbiggs;4377721]In a democracy why shouldn't social equity be part of governments function if the electorate demands it?[/QUOTE]

Because that isn't how our government was built (by design). If the elecorate demands it, the appropriate mechanism for that would be to amend The Constitution, or implement it at state and local levels.

But why, when we can just take the lazy way out? After all, we're a society that demands instant gratification. Rules and consequences? Poppycock! :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=JetPotato;4377948]Because that isn't how our government was built (by design). If the elecorate demands it, the appropriate mechanism for that would be to amend The Constitution, or implement it at state and local levels.

But why, when we can just take the lazy way out? After all, we're a society that demands instant gratification. Rules and consequences? Poppycock! :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

The way our government was built was a massive failure that lead to the bloodiest war in this countries history. The war was about social change and the ensuing amendments changed our Constitution and our system. The compromise that gave us a weak Federal system was done away with after the civil war.

The only reason to pass laws is to change behavior, it is a social mechanism. Building consensus is not easy or instant it takes enormous effort and competition between ideas to build it. That's how our democracy works.
    Last edited by Winstonbiggs; 02-27-2012 at 04:33 PM.

Pointed out to me today that US stockmarket performance is not only skewed by the actions of the US Fed, but also by the outstanding company, Apple, which makes up 4% of the Dow and 17% of the Nasdaq. Apparently also bigger than the entire US manufacturing sector in terms of $ value.

Pointed out to me today is the fact that if your country were higher up on the food chain, you wouldn't care about US stocks or policy :)

[QUOTE=AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite;4378133]Pointed out to me today is the fact that if your country were higher up on the food chain, you wouldn't care about US stocks or policy :)[/QUOTE]

Are you disputing his post?

[QUOTE=AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite;4378133]Pointed out to me today is the fact that if your country were higher up on the food chain, you wouldn't care about US stocks or policy :)[/QUOTE]

He's having a jibe which is fair enough. :D

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Winstonbiggs;4377996]The way our government was built was a massive failure that lead to the bloodiest war in this countries history. The war was about social change and the ensuing amendments changed our Constitution and our system. The compromise that gave us a weak Federal system was done away with after the civil war.

The only reason to pass laws is to change behavior, it is a social mechanism. Building consensus is not easy or instant it takes enormous effort and competition between ideas to build it. That's how our democracy works.[/QUOTE]

I can't even find the words to describe the fail of this.

[QUOTE=Black Death;4378115]Pointed out to me today that US stockmarket performance is not only skewed by the actions of the US Fed, but also by the outstanding company, Apple, which makes up 4% of the Dow and 17% of the Nasdaq. Apparently also bigger than the entire US manufacturing sector in terms of $ value.[/Qine compqaUOTE]

Don't mean to be too pedantic here, but Apple is not part of the Dow. It is not now nor has ever been a component. There is no questioning it is a fine company but market value is not everything. Plus with Jobs gone ??

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Winstonbiggs;4377996]The way our government was built was a massive failure that lead to the bloodiest war in this countries history. The war was about social change and the ensuing amendments changed our Constitution and our system. The compromise that gave us a weak Federal system was done away with after the civil war.

The only reason to pass laws is to change behavior, it is a social mechanism. Building consensus is not easy or instant it takes enormous effort and competition between ideas to build it. That's how our democracy works.[/QUOTE]

Au contraire, many a SCOTUS fiat are not laws but perverted lib screwball interpretations of same. Roe v Wade is not a law and Wong Kim Ark completely ignored the explicit instructions placed in the Congressional Record re the 14th Amendment as to how that law was to be applied.

[QUOTE=Jungle Shift Jet;4378755]Au contraire, many a SCOTUS fiat are not laws but perverted lib screwball interpretations of same. Roe v Wade is not a law and Wong Kim Ark completely ignored the explicit instructions placed in the Congressional Record re the 14th Amendment as to how that law was to be applied.[/QUOTE]

What was Dred Scott and how did that work out?

Jets Insider VIP

[B]The only reason to pass laws is to change behavior[/B], it is a social mechanism. Building consensus is not easy or instant it takes enormous effort and competition between ideas to build it. That's how our democracy works.[/QUOTE]

Is it? Really? I thought it was to set the boundaries and norms of our society to weed out the behaviors that could be dangerous and/or infringe upon the freedoms of the citizens of our country.

[QUOTE=Trades;4378770]Is it? Really? I thought it was to set the boundaries and norms of our society to weed out the behaviors that could be dangerous and/or infringe upon the freedoms of the citizens of our country.[/QUOTE]

Yes to change behavior.