Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mike Wallace May Be Able to Test Market? (please dont goto Pats)

Mike Wallace May Be Able to Test Market? (please dont goto Pats)

Mike Wallace may get an opportunity to test the market?...It really seems like a perfect fit for NE. He's young and a tremendous deep threat.

[QUOTE]According to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, the Steelers are willing to let restricted free agent Mike Wallace test the open market.

GM Kevin Colbert recently conceded to a local radio station that the franchise tag is highly unlikely due to salary cap issues. The Steelers will reportedly place a first-round restricted tender on Wallace and "see what develops." If he "signs a contract and they deem it too high," they will apparently take the first-round compensation instead of matching. Once unthinkable, it's now very possible the Steelers will let their 25-year-old No. 1 receiver walk instead of digging themselves into an even deeper salary-cap hole.[/QUOTE]

Jets Insider VIP
    No shot in hell Bellicheck gives a #1 pick and 8-10 million per year for an offensive player.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=TurkJetFan;4373315]Mike Wallace may get an opportunity to test the market?...It really seems like a perfect fit for NE. He's young and a tremendous deep threat.[/QUOTE]

He is a RFA, why wouldnt the Steelers let him test the market? They put a first round tender on him, which would make a team less likely to spend top dollar on him, thus keeping the offers lower than if they were negotiating as an UFA. Smart move by the Steelers.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Why is he a perfect fit for NE? Seems like they have changed their offense to almost exclusively short and intermediate passing, and as good as Brady is, he doesn't throw a great deep ball.

Banned
    [QUOTE=Ruby2;4373317]No shot in hell Bellicheck gives a #1 pick and 8-10 million per year for an offensive player.[/QUOTE]

Brady and Belichick's phone conversation today:

[B]Brady[/B]: Hey Bill, you have to use one of our 1st round picks on Mike Wallace. Can you imagine Wallace running deep, Hernandez and Gronk going down the middle seams and Wes running underneath? Hell, I'll throw for 7,000 yards next season.

[B]Belichick[/B]: Hey Tom, have you found a way to shut your f****** wife up yet?

I agree with you, Pats will not give up a 1st round pick for Wallace.

[QUOTE=Buzzsaw;4373322]Why is he a perfect fit for NE? Seems like they have changed their offense to almost exclusively short and intermediate passing, and as good as Brady is, he doesn't throw a great deep ball.[/QUOTE]

not disputing what anyone is saying about the pats giving up a first.

but it's been changed because they havent had a single person to go deep...they no doubt want to go deep but can't bc of personnell.

Practice Squad
    With McDaniels headed back there, I think it would be pretty logical for Brandon Lloyd to follow, especially because some team is most definitely gonna overpay Welkah.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4373324]Brady and Belichick's phone conversation today:

[B]Brady[/B]: Hey Bill, you have to use one of our 1st round picks on Mike Wallace. Can you imagine Wallace running deep, Hernandez and Gronk going down the middle seams and Wes running underneath? Hell, I'll throw for 7,000 yards next season.

[B]Belichick[/B]: Hey Tom, have you found a way to shut your f****** wife up yet?

I agree with you, Pats will not give up a 1st round pick for Wallace.[/QUOTE]

I can see a scenario where they might use their many draft picks this year to move up and try to take a guy like Blackmon. They would still have to give up a high pick like if they would sign Wallace, BUT it would be a lot cheaper.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Buzzsaw;4373322]Why is he a perfect fit for NE? Seems like they have changed their offense to almost exclusively short and intermediate passing, and as good as Brady is, he doesn't throw a great deep ball.[/QUOTE]

Come on! Brady and Moss set records together.

They changed their offense because they lacked a legit deep threat after Moss was gone.

You give Brady Wallace and they would put up some nasty numbers together.

All Pro
    If Mike Wallace goes to the Pats then I give up on football..... :(

Banned
    [QUOTE=sec.101row23;4373330]I can see a scenario where they might use their many draft picks this year to move up and try to take a guy like Blackmon. They would still have to give up a high pick like if they would sign Wallace, BUT it would be a lot cheaper.[/QUOTE]

I agree it would be cheaper, but have you seen the Pats ability to select and develop WR's in the draft since BB been there?

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4373334]I agree it would be cheaper, but have you seen the Pats ability to select and develop WR's in the draft since BB been there?[/QUOTE]

True, but have they drafted a guy like Blackmon before? He seems pretty much NFL ready, especially with Brady as QB.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

[QUOTE=LockeJET;4373331]

They changed their offense because they lacked a legit deep threat after Moss was gone.[/QUOTE]

I think it was by design, and partially because we have Revis. Belichick saw that offenses were having a lot of success with this new breed of tight ends - too big, fast and strong for most linebackers and safeties to cover. Easy mis-matches. Every year we're seeing tight ends set new receiving records, and this started before the Pats drafted Gronkowski and Hernandez. The game is changing and the Pats are ahead of the curve.

I don't see them making a play for Wallace.

All League
    Pretty sure Belichick would prefer to sign a FA WR like Lloyd and use his draft picks to shore up that nightmare of a defense.

[QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4373334]I agree it would be cheaper, but have you seen the Pats ability to select and develop WR's in the draft since BB been there?[/QUOTE]

They don't develop WRs, Brady is capable of making bad receivers look great.

They just need a body who can be in the right place at the right time, which is why Ochocinco couldn't play more than 2 plays a game.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Buzzsaw;4373338]I think it was by design, and partially because we have Revis. Belichick saw that offenses were having a lot of success with this new breed of tight ends - too big, fast and strong for most linebackers and safeties to cover. Easy mis-matches. Every year we're seeing tight ends set new receiving records, and this started before the Pats drafted Gronkowski and Hernandez. The game is changing and the Pats are ahead of the curve.

I don't see them making a play for Wallace.[/QUOTE]

I agree, I don't see them making a play for Wallace either. But if they did land him, he and Brady would make it happen against most. Especially with the TE's and Welker should they retain him.

[QUOTE=ozu;4373339]Pretty sure Belichick would prefer to sign a FA WR like Lloyd and use his draft picks to shore up that nightmare of a defense.[/QUOTE]

People have been saying that about the Pats defense and using the picks for years. And they still suck...

They'll use the picks on players, but the players typically suck. Hernandez and Gronk make them look better (much like Brady and Seymour did for years) but they typically miss badly. And i also want to see if Gronk can be relatively healthy for his career.

And Wallace going to New England wouldn't be the worst thing in the world either... Moss was better at what Wallace is and they didn't win with him.

Wallace is a great deep threat, but that's it. And he was absolutely not as good as Moss was in that regard.

[QUOTE=Buzzsaw;4373338]I think it was by design, and partially because we have Revis. Belichick saw that offenses were having a lot of success with this new breed of tight ends - too big, fast and strong for most linebackers and safeties to cover. Easy mis-matches. Every year we're seeing tight ends set new receiving records, and this started before the Pats drafted Gronkowski and Hernandez. The game is changing and the Pats are ahead of the curve.

I don't see them making a play for Wallace.[/QUOTE]

I disagree with your assertion that the pats are ahead of the curve because they found a new breed of TEs. The TE position has always been an important position when used right. A good TE is a QB's best friend. The throwing angles on TE's routes are easy. The league was getting away from using TEs in favor of the deep ball. Brady and Moss made the deep ball popular. They didn't have the personnel for the deep ball so they needed a new system.

By going back to the TE focused offense, Belicheck is going back to a proven system. That isn't being ahead of the curve, its defaulting back to fundamentals. The genius is in the fact that the league abandoned the TE model, and he found a league-wide weakness.

The only thing genius about New England using the TE position is the fact that Brady is so damn good and Gronkowski is an excellent player. Hernandez is solid but has his flaws.

You take Gronkowski out of the mix and you see what the results were... A very ordinary offense against the Giants despite having a once in a lifetime QB like Brady.

Wallace is RFA. End thread.