Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mike Wallace May Be Able to Test Market? (please dont goto Pats)

Nearly 50,000 Posts

[QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4373324]Brady and Belichick's phone conversation today:

[B]Brady[/B]: Hey Bill, you have to use one of our 1st round picks on Mike Wallace. Can you imagine Wallace running deep, Hernandez and Gronk going down the middle seams and Wes running underneath? Hell, I'll throw for 7,000 yards next season.

[B]Belichick[/B]: Hey Tom, have you found a way to shut your f****** wife up yet?

and for the first time, PatsFanTX is brilliant.

Jets Insider VIP
    Mike Wallace is a number 2 receiver. He doesnt have the size or the Red Zone ability to be a #1. Hes a deep threat, a great deep threat, but that does not make him a #1 receiver.

Someone is going to overpay just like we did with holmes.

[QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;4373403]Mike Wallace is a number 2 receiver. He doesnt have the size or the Red Zone ability to be a #1. Hes a deep threat, a great deep threat, but that does not make him a #1 receiver.

Someone is going to overpay just like we did with holmes.[/QUOTE]

If Mike Wallace is not a #1 WR, then who is? Calvin Johnson, Larry Fitgerald, and that's it?

[QUOTE=jpoppy7;4373411]If Mike Wallace is not a #1 WR, then who is? Calvin Johnson, Larry Fitgerald, and that's it?[/QUOTE]

Some would say Holmes ... they would be sadly and painfully mistaken.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=TurkJetFan;4373315]Mike Wallace may get an opportunity to test the market?...It really seems like a perfect fit for NE. He's young and a tremendous deep threat.[/QUOTE]
    If only Tangenius would have stayed pat and drafted Wallace instead of trading up for Greene. :shakehead

[QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;4373403]Mike Wallace is a number 2 receiver. He doesnt have the size or the Red Zone ability to be a #1. Hes a deep threat, a great deep threat, but that does not make him a #1 receiver.

+1. Wallace is a deadly deep threat but he needs lots of help elsewhere to perform like he has been. I'd probably be inclined to take him over Holmes, straight up

[QUOTE=FijiJet;4373445]+1. Wallace is a deadly deep threat but he needs lots of help elsewhere to perform like he has been.[B] I'd probably be inclined to take him over Holmes, straight up[/B][/QUOTE]

lol... no ****.
    I would also be inclined to take Gronk straight up for Keller.

its just become overwhelmingly clear that you dont watch other games in the NFL...

This thread reminds me of the "Moss is a cancer and will do nothing in NE" thread that was going around in 2007. :D

I can't imagine how the Patriots would ever score less than 30 points with Wallace on their team. He keeps a safety deep and gives Gronkowski and Hernandez a ton of room to work in the middle of the field.

Hall Of Fame
    This reeks of the Steeler-Holmes situation. Nearly, out of the blue and blue-chip WR is on the market. At least Holmes had the weed issue. Makes me wonder what issues Wallace might have, if any. I refuse to believe that he is merely a cap casualty.

[QUOTE=JB1089;4373487]I can't imagine how the Patriots would ever score less than 30 points with Wallace on their team. He keeps a safety deep and gives Gronkowski and Hernandez a ton of room to work in the middle of the field.[/QUOTE]

having said that, according to others in this thread there's no chance bill bellicheat would ever consider it. :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=DDNYjets;4373489]This reeks of the Steeler-Holmes situation. Nearly, out of the blue and blue-chip WR is on the market. At least Holmes had the weed issue. Makes me wondered what Wallace did. I refuse to believe that he is merely a cap casualty.[/QUOTE]

well with antonio brown doing what he did, and with what wallace undoubtedly wants im really not sure there is much to read into here. plus the steelers outside of hines ward are pretty notorious for shuffling their WR deck often.

i think they shouldnt let wallace ever see the market but that's just me.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=TurkJetFan;4373493]well with antonio brown doing what he did, and with what wallace undoubtedly wants im really not sure there is much to read into here. plus the steelers outside of hines ward are pretty notorious for shuffling their WR deck often.

i think they shouldnt let wallace ever see the market but that's just me.[/QUOTE]

If Wallace is making outrageous demands then the Steelers might be justified. Wallace is a nice WR, but he is not the type of WR that can make a QB, Wallace needs a QB that can make him so to speak. Not many QBs can air it out like Big Ben or create plays and buy time like him. Wallace benefits greatly from Big Ben.

If he goes to a team without a good QB he will be the equivalent of the guys in Oakland.

All League
    From what I hear on the local sports talk shows, apparently Wallace doesn't fit into the steeler culture. He is the "anti" Hines Ward if you will.

they changed their offense because moss couldn't contribute on every play and brady has no arm left.

[QUOTE=LockeJET;4373331]Come on! Brady and Moss set records together.

They changed their offense because they lacked a legit deep threat after Moss was gone.

You give Brady Wallace and they would put up some nasty numbers together.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=sameoldjets;4373524]they changed their offense because moss couldn't contribute on every play and [B]brady has no arm left[/B].[/QUOTE]

:eek::rolleyes:

Rookie
    For the people declaring this a non-issue on the count of Wallace being an RFA must not be familiar with what RFAs are. When a player is a Restricted Free Agent, the player's team providing that they wish to retain the services of said player, will offer a contract tender for an amount of money. Depending on how much money is offered, a draft pick compensation is parlayed. What this ensures is that if a team other than the player's wanted that particular player's services, they would have to forfeit a draft pick of their own. A team's top RFA's will be tendered the highest amount to deter other teams from swiping them up.

With that said. Seeing as how Mike Wallace would be the best WR "available" it makes sense that Pickspurgh would tender Wallace to the highest amount requiring a minimum compensation of a 1st and 3rd round pick. Now a team would have to provide Wallace with a contract offer higher than the offer from Picksburgh.

Now if you are a GM with a bit of cap room (Tampa Bay, Cincinnati, Denver) or superfluous draft picks (Cincinnati) why wouldn't you jump at the chance to have a game-breaking WR?

Now if you don't think Mike Wallace is a game-breaking WR, that part I can't help you understand.

[QUOTE=DDNYjets;4373500]If Wallace is making outrageous demands then the Steelers might be justified. Wallace is a nice WR, but he is not the type of WR that can make a QB, Wallace needs a QB that can make him so to speak. Not many QBs can air it out like Big Ben or create plays and buy time like him. Wallace benefits greatly from Big Ben.

If he goes to a team without a good QB he will be the equivalent of the guys in Oakland.[/QUOTE]

Raiders Wr corp could be as explosive as any wr corp in the game. All those Wrs are 24 and younger. All they have to do is stay healthy. Raiders defintely have the Qb to get them the ball(Carson Paalmer might be the best deep passer in their history- he doesn't miss too often on those passes)

You add a healthy DMC and Taiwan Jones and it just makes that passing game much more explosive.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=TurkJetFan;4373490]having said that, according to others in this thread there's no chance bill bellicheat would ever consider it. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Bellicheck has never given prime picks or big money to a wr.

Why would he do both now?

Its not going to happen.