Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mike Wallace May Be Able to Test Market? (please dont goto Pats)

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sameoldjets;4373524]they changed their offense because moss couldn't contribute on every play and brady has no arm left.[/QUOTE]

From what I've seen, Brady's deep ball hasn't been so great lately.

But, I don't watch him 16 times a year, so maybe a Pats fan can comment on this.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Raider9175;4373559]Raiders Wr corp could be as explosive as any wr corp in the game. All those Wrs are 24 and younger. All they have to do is stay healthy. Raiders defintely have the Qb to get them the ball(Carson Paalmer might be the best deep passer in their history- he doesn't miss too often on those passes)

You add a healthy DMC and Taiwan Jones and it just makes that passing game much more explosive.[/QUOTE]

Carson Palmer is a bottom half qb

A healthy DMC is far from a given

Tawain Jones is an unknown at this point.

Moore is the truth though and DHB is showing some promise. I think you guys can get 8-9 wins in that joke of a division.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jasper17;4373553]For the people declaring this a non-issue on the count of Wallace being an RFA must not be familiar with what RFAs are. When a player is a Restricted Free Agent, the player's team providing that they wish to retain the services of said player, will offer a contract tender for an amount of money. Depending on how much money is offered, a draft pick compensation is parlayed. What this ensures is that if a team other than the player's wanted that particular player's services, they would have to forfeit a draft pick of their own. A team's top RFA's will be tendered the highest amount to deter other teams from swiping them up.

With that said. Seeing as how Mike Wallace would be the best WR "available" it makes sense that Pickspurgh would tender Wallace to the highest amount requiring a minimum compensation of a 1st and 3rd round pick. Now a team would have to provide Wallace with a contract offer higher than the offer from Picksburgh.

Now if you are a GM with a bit of cap room (Tampa Bay, Cincinnati, Denver) or superfluous draft picks (Cincinnati) why wouldn't you jump at the chance to have a game-breaking WR?

Now if you don't think Mike Wallace is a game-breaking WR, that part I can't help you understand.[/QUOTE]
    No the New Cba restricted Fa's only count as first rounders. (no more 3rders) So a team picking late in the first might want a Proven commodity in Mike Wallace. (will be willing to give up their first rounder) That's what it only going to cost you now.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Ruby2;4373565]Carson Palmer is a bottom half qb

A healthy DMC is far from a given

Tawain Jones is an unknown at this point.

Moore is the truth though and DHB is showing some promise. I think you guys can get 8-9 wins in that joke of a division.[/QUOTE]

Carson Palmer with a full off season and training camp is easy a top ten Qb next year. (Probably top five JMo) Will be playing IN WCO offense next year. (HAs alot of big time receiver running backs that can get him big YAC. Raiders have alot of Te's that they underutilized last year. (become bigger treats in WCO offense)

Recap - two game changing Rb's (DMC and Taiwan Jones that can score from anywhere + Play action pass to probably the fastest Wr corp in the game + One best deep passers in the game = this offense going to be lethal next year . C Palmer should lead the NFl in yard per pass next year.

DMc is a game changer at RB. Tawain Jones is going to be a superstar and the Rb who going to benefit the most from Raiders going to a zone blocking scheme. Why? He a very patient runner will let the oline determine the hole hes going to exploit, Has great vision, can make a quick cut and be gone(is the fastest Rb to ever carry the football for the Raiders.

Jacoby Ford was carson Palmer go to wr before getting hurt . It was one injury after another with him last year. This offense even though Raiders changesd the system(wco) and blocking scheme has too much talent to effect them.
    Last edited by Raider9175; 02-21-2012 at 11:12 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wallace is potentially available not because of any behavioral issues, but because the Steelers are in cap hell.

Roethlisberger (16)
    Harrison (9.0)
    Woodley (11.5)
    Polamalu (8.9)
    Hampton (8.1)
    Taylor (7.6)
    Timmons (9.1)
    Miller (7.1)
    Colon (5.7)
    Kemoeatu (5.2)

That's $88.2M to 10 players right there.

[B]The Steelers currently have more than $140M already committed to next year's cap (with only 47 players under contract). Wallace made 700K last year. If Wallace gets $8M/yr from someone, matching the offer would put their cap number for next year over $150M.[/B]

Meaning they would have to find a way to shed $30M from the roster. They only have a $1.5M credit carrying over from this year. They're in a bad, bad spot right now.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JB1089;4373577]Wallace is potentially available not because of any behavioral issues, but because the Steelers are in cap hell.

Roethlisberger (16)
    Harrison (9.0)
    Woodley (11.5)
    Polamalu (8.9)
    Hampton (8.1)
    Taylor (7.6)
    Timmons (9.1)
    Miller (7.1)
    Colon (5.7)
    Kemoeatu (5.2)

That's $88.2M to 10 players right there.

[B]The Steelers currently have more than $140M already committed to next year's cap (with only 47 players under contract). Wallace made 700K last year. If Wallace gets $8M/yr from someone, matching the offer would put their cap number for next year over $150M.[/B]

Meaning they would have to find a way to shed $30M from the roster. They only have a $1.5M credit carrying over from this year. They're in a bad, bad spot right now.[/QUOTE]

How the hell do you pay Ike Taylor 7 million a year?! :eek:

Willie Colon and Kemoeatu are also woefully paid IMO but we'll see what will happen when the Steelers have plays called by a guy that has some sort of idea about protection packages, unlike Bruce Arians who pretty much relied on Big Ben being freakishly huge, tough, and athletic to get away with being hit every single play

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=detectivekimble;4373564]From what I've seen, Brady's deep ball hasn't been so great lately.

But, I don't watch him 16 times a year, so maybe a Pats fan can comment on this.[/QUOTE]

I defer to the QB historians on this board, but I don't think I've ever seen an elite QB in the last 30 years (let alone an all-time great) that can make fewer throws than Brady right now. He isn't even close to the being best deep-ball thrower on his own team (that would be Mallett) and I can't think of a starting NFL QB who is worse (and that includes Tebow, who throws a MUCH better deep ball than Brady).

The throws he can make, he makes better than anyone. But his deep ball is an absolute atrocity right now.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    On the topic at hand, I don't see the Patriots spending an arm and a leg on a WR they could have acquired for a mere 3rd round pick if they hadn't preferred Brandon Tate instead.

Apart from the drafting of Daniel Graham over Ed Reed in 2002, that may have been my most annoying Patriot drafting "what if" of the Belichick era. :mad:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wallace will not get 8-10 mill, from the pats. He is not a FA and if he wants a FA contract he will need to sign the tender and play the year out.

I am thinking 4-years 28 with 15 mill up front and a no tag provision will do it. This will allow him to be a FA again when he is 29.

He sees Menderhall entering his FA year on IR, and i think that weighs on him.

I expect the pats to get Lloyd and Royal, two guys that have played in the system and have had success with Orton throwing them the ball, as I think Balt or the 9ers will be the team that makes the move.
    Last edited by patman; 02-22-2012 at 06:07 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sec.101row23;4373336]True, but have they drafted a guy like Blackmon before? He seems pretty much NFL ready, especially with Brady as QB.[/QUOTE]
    Blackmon is a beast no doubt. But I could see the pats making a move to draft Wright. He would make them more dangerous because he stretches the field. He's the guy I'd love the Jets to draft for that very same reason.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Raider9175;4373572]Carson Palmer with a full off season and training camp is easy a top ten Qb next year. (Probably top five JMo) Will be playing IN WCO offense next year. (HAs alot of big time receiver running backs that can get him big YAC. Raiders have alot of Te's that they underutilized last year. (become bigger treats in WCO offense)

Recap - two game changing Rb's (DMC and Taiwan Jones that can score from anywhere + Play action pass to probably the fastest Wr corp in the game + One best deep passers in the game = this offense going to be lethal next year . C Palmer should lead the NFl in yard per pass next year.

DMc is a game changer at RB. Tawain Jones is going to be a superstar and the Rb who going to benefit the most from Raiders going to a zone blocking scheme. Why? He a very patient runner will let the oline determine the hole hes going to exploit, Has great vision, can make a quick cut and be gone(is the fastest Rb to ever carry the football for the Raiders.

Jacoby Ford was carson Palmer go to wr before getting hurt . It was one injury after another with him last year. This offense even though Raiders changesd the system(wco) and blocking scheme has too much talent to effect them.[/QUOTE]
    Do you [U]have[/U] to derail every thread and turn them into raider threads??

Seriously dude. It's way past old already.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jordy;4373742]Do you [U]have[/U] to derail every thread and turn them into raider threads??

Seriously dude. It's way past old already.[/QUOTE]

Jordy, go have another cup of coffee.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4373745]Jordy, go have another cup of coffee.[/QUOTE]
    How did you know?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jordy;4373742]Do you [U]have[/U] to derail every thread and turn them into raider threads??

Seriously dude. It's way past old already.[/QUOTE]

i really don't get why he doesn't just post that stuff on a raiders board...nobody here cares about the raiders so it's kind of strange to me.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sameoldjets;4373524]they changed their offense because moss couldn't contribute on every play and brady has no arm left.[/QUOTE]

Brady threw for over 5,000 yards and 39 TDs last year. Imagine what he would have done if he had an arm left.:rolleyes:

I think the Pats will end up franchising Welker, re-sign Branch to be a back up, and signing Lloyd. They might add Eddie Royal for depth and kick return responsibilities too.

I don't see them spending a first and top WR money on Wallace. The Steelers run a pretty simple offense. The Pats run a complicated one. I don't know if they want to get into another situation like Ochocinco where he still didn't know the plays even in the Super Bowl. Lloyd will be the cheaper decision and the Pats know he knows the offense. That is the way they will most likely go.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=detectivekimble;4373564]From what I've seen, Brady's deep ball hasn't been so great lately.

But, I don't watch him 16 times a year, so maybe a Pats fan can comment on this.[/QUOTE]

It's hard to tell when he hasn't had a legitimate deep threat since midway through 2009 when Moss started to fall apart.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Rob0729;4373776]It's hard to tell when he hasn't had a legitimate deep threat since midway through 2009 when Moss started to fall apart.[/QUOTE]

I agree with that to a point.

However, this past year he had several recievers open deep and he woefully overthrew or underthrew them. They were easy TD's with a good throw.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=AFCEastFan;4373592]I defer to the QB historians on this board, but I don't think I've ever seen an elite QB in the last 30 years (let alone an all-time great) that can make fewer throws than Brady right now. He isn't even close to the being best deep-ball thrower on his own team (that would be Mallett) and I can't think of a starting NFL QB who is worse (and that includes Tebow, who throws a MUCH better deep ball than Brady).

The throws he can make, he makes better than anyone. But his deep ball is an absolute atrocity right now.[/QUOTE]

I don't know if you can argue that. The deep ball probably more than any other pass has more of a shared responsibility with the WR. It relies on the QB to throw to an area and the WR to be in that area and make adjustments while the ball is in the air. Most of the best deep ball throwers have elite or great deep ball WRs. These WRs make the QB look good in a lot of cases because either they gain so much separation that the QB can overthrow him a bit and still give the WR to get the ball or throw it in tight coverage and allow the WR to fight for the ball. Brady doesn't have that right now and hasn't had it since mid-2009.

Now Brady could get a great/elite deep ball WR and still suck at the deep ball. That is a possibility, but judging him on deep passes to Matthew Slater or a hobbled Rob Gronkowski or Ochocinco who hasn't learned the offense even by the Super Bowl isn't really a fair judgment.
    Last edited by Rob0729; 02-22-2012 at 11:30 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4373324]Brady and Belichick's phone conversation today:

[B]Brady[/B]: Hey Bill, you have to use one of our 1st round picks on Mike Wallace. Can you imagine Wallace running deep, Hernandez and Gronk going down the middle seams and Wes running underneath? Hell, I'll throw for 7,000 yards next season.

[B]Belichick[/B]: Hey Tom, have you found a way to shut your f****** wife up yet?

I agree with you, Pats will not give up a 1st round pick for Wallace.[/QUOTE]

I think the contract is the bigger issue. If they're gonna pay Welker, it's gonna be hard to pay Wallce.

But in theory, a deep threat like Wallace would make the Pats offense a juggernaut.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4373778]I agree with that to a point.

However, this past year he had several recievers open deep and he woefully overthrew or underthrew them. They were easy TD's with a good throw.[/QUOTE]

But how much of that is on the WR. Just because a receiver is open deep doesn't mean they did everything to get the ball. No one throw a deep ball with pin-point accuracy. They throw to an area and then it is the receiver's job to make the adjustments to get the ball.

How many of those off target deep balls were just a product of not having a very good deep threat receiver? I'm sure a lot of them were on Brady, but many of them were on the receiver. We may find out next year when the Pats are likely to add a WR who is a legitimate deep threat.