Thread: The value of government

Jets Insider VIP

The value of government

Good thing we have the government to save us from atrocities like this.

[QUOTE] [B]‘Spaced’ out[/B]

By CHUCK BENNETT
    [I]Last Updated:[/I] 5:46 AM, February 13, 2012
    [I]Posted:[/I] 2:20 AM, February 13, 2012

City authorities are inching toward absurdity.

Transportation officials want to knock down a Chinatown newsstand that’s been in the same spot for 35 years — after suddenly discovering that it’s a precious [B]3 inches too close to the building it faces[/B].

“They came and measured, and the [Department of Transportation] said the newsstand is 3 inches too short for a clear path,” said Marilyn Louie, who has operated the newsstand at 18 Bowery for decades.

“This is the only job I’ve had. I’ve supported my kids with this. This is my only living, I don’t think it is fair for just a few inches,” she said.

Louie said her clash with city bureaucrats started when officials began measuring to replace her old-school green newsstand with a more-modern-looking, silver shack operated by the contractor Cemusa.

The city is converting all 330 newsstands to the sleeker Cemusa ones, despite complaints that the new stands are prone to leaks and break-ins.
    When Louie’s location problem was noticed, both the DOT and Department of Consumer Affairs told her she had to move.

But Louie said other locations that the city proposed either lack foot traffic or are already saturated with convenience stores selling the same papers, Lotto and candy.

Business is tough already, she said. Most newsstand operators keep between 5 to 6 cents for each newspaper sold and 6 cents per Lotto ticket, she said. Unlike other newsstands operators, Louie said, she does not sell cigarettes. Her yearly income rarely tops $40,000, she said.

Plus, Louie said, many local senior citizens have come to rely on her to help them with such necessities as reading their bills, Social Security notifications and other important documents.

She inherited the stand in 1982 after her father, a disabled World War II vet, passed away.

Louie, who works seven days a week at her stand, has until Feb. 29 to find another spot.

DOT spokeswoman Nicole Garcia, quoting the city’s Administrative Code, said, “The current site does not meet the siting criteria specified by law.

The shelter’s current clear path is 3 inches less than the required distance [9 1/2 feet], and the stand is 4 inches too close to the curb.”

[EMAIL="chuck.bennett@nypost.com"]chuck.bennett@nypost.com[/EMAIL]

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
    Read more: [URL]http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/spaced_out_qGxi9pqY9Lu9xqzIZMd18H#ixzz1n7TLoDoS[/URL]
    [/COLOR][/LEFT]
    [/QUOTE]

All Pro
    This is about someone using the technicalities of a policy to get what they want. Fortunately, I've never been subject to technicalities being used to exploit me by banks, credit card companies, airlines, car dealers, mechanics, utlity companies, cable companies, etc. It's only the government that engages in such nefarious practices... :rolleyes:

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=long island leprechaun;4373727]This is about someone using the technicalities of a policy to get what they want. Fortunately, I've never been subject to technicalities being used to exploit me by banks, credit card companies, airlines, car dealers, mechanics, utlity companies, cable companies, etc. It's only the government that engages in such nefarious practices... :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

How are those companies using technicalities to exploit you? Are you required to use banks, credit cards, fly, buy a new car, use a mechanic to fix your car, live on the grid or buy cable etc? You choose to do so and aren't held at gun point if you were to refuse. But I guess that is just a technicality too.

How exactly are these horrible technicalities you are subjected to by these nefarious companies comparable to someone losing their business that they have spent 20 years developing because it is now deemed 3 inches to close to a building. Give me one real example.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Trades;4373730]How are those companies using technicalities to exploit you? Are you required to use banks, credit cards, fly, buy a new car, use a mechanic to fix your car, live on the grid or buy cable etc? You choose to do so and aren't held at gun point if you were to refuse. But I guess that is just a technicality too.[/QUOTE]

And dude is "choosing" to run a newsstand. He could always just go work someplace else, right? :P:D;)

My old bank used to love to do the old "process withdrawals before deposits and hit you with 3-4 overdraft fees and then processing the deposit and being like 'oh, sorry sir...we'll refund you 1 or 2 of those overdraft fees'"

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4373767]And dude is "choosing" to run a newsstand. He could always just go work someplace else, right? :P:D;)

My old bank used to love to do the old "process withdrawals before deposits and hit you with 3-4 overdraft fees and then processing the deposit and being like 'oh, sorry sir...we'll refund you 1 or 2 of those overdraft fees'"[/QUOTE]

Then change banks. We are in an employment crisis today and the government should be providing an environment to support and create jobs not get rid of them because of a technicality.

Does the city own all of the 330 and are building new ones? I'm confused?

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Trades;4373801]Then change banks. We are in an employment crisis today and the government should be providing an environment to support and create jobs not get rid of them because of a technicality.[/QUOTE]

That's what I told my bank :D I said, Jeez, guys....from the stories on the news, you guys are in pretty dire straights. Isn't it kinda dumb to lose customers because of technicalities? :P

Besides, it's an open and shut case of grandfathering. A first year law student could win this. I suspect it has a lot to do with the for-profit company in charge of rehabbing the news stands. Follow the money :yes:

Hey, follow the rules!

Personal responsibility and such.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=FF2®;4374067]Hey, follow the rules!

Personal responsibility and such.[/QUOTE]

As long as the rules aren't ridiculous and constantly changing.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Trades;4373730]How are those companies using technicalities to exploit you? Are you required to use banks, credit cards, fly, buy a new car, use a mechanic to fix your car, live on the grid or buy cable etc? You choose to do so and aren't held at gun point if you were to refuse. But I guess that is just a technicality too.

How exactly are these horrible technicalities you are subjected to by these nefarious companies comparable to someone losing their business that they have spent 20 years developing because it is now deemed 3 inches to close to a building. Give me one real example.[/QUOTE]

Try to calculate how to maintain a no-checking fee based on the bank's calculation of monthly average.... just to name one. And you must have been born yesterday if you really think this is just some government rule being applied without an agenda that will involve some builder, business group, or other special interest. Somebody is making money on this rule application. Your knee-jerk "all government is bad" reaction was just that: knee-jerk.

We have to much government. If the bank screws you move your business somewhere else. I use a credit union and the service is great!

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=MnJetFan;4374333]If the bank screws you move your business somewhere else. [/QUOTE]

And in this case...when the gubbermint screws you, you have to...

well, move you business someplace else. Wait. That's awkward. :P

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=long island leprechaun;4374319]Try to calculate how to maintain a no-checking fee based on the bank's calculation of monthly average.... just to name one. And you must have been born yesterday if you really think this is just some government rule being applied without an agenda that will involve some builder, business group, or other special interest. Somebody is making money on this rule application. Your knee-jerk "all government is bad" reaction was just that: knee-jerk.[/QUOTE]

Not hard to calculate at all. [url]http://tdbank.com/personal/checking.html?state=NJ&city=1019[/url]

I never said all government is bad. I said "Good thing we have the government to save us from atrocities like this." meaning this is a ridiculous use of government. Why do you assume that I don't know that there are personal motives behind this? Obviously there are, does that absolve the government agency that is imposing this policy?