Thread: Utah Senate approves tougher tanning rules

Jets Insider VIP

Utah Senate approves tougher tanning rules

So a teen needs parental consent to get a tan or earrings but can get an abortion without anyone knowing. Good policy! I am not a rabid pro-lifer like some here but how much more inconsistent can we be?

[QUOTE] Utah Senate approves tougher tanning rules

THE SALT LAKE TRIBUNE
    First published Feb 22 2012 12:12PM
    Updated Feb 22, 2012 09:43PM

[B]Minors who want to go to tanning salons would have to get parental permission on each visit under a bill passed Wednesday by the Utah Senate.[/B]

Sen. Pat Jones, D-Holladay, said parents have a responsibility to learn about the risks posed by the ultraviolet light from tanning beds, which she warned is a known carcinogen and 15 times more dangerous than midday sunlight.

“If you think it’s inconvenient for parents to be warned about the dangers of tanning, how inconvenient is it to take your children to chemotherapy treatments?” Jones asked.

Sen. Howard Stephenson, R-Draper, opposed SB41, arguing that parents be presented information on the risks and allowed to give consent annually. Jones called his amendment an attempt to “gut the bill,” and his effort failed.

The Senate passed the bill 18-9. It now goes to the House.

Robert Gehrke
    [/QUOTE]

[url]http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/politics/53567443-90/tanning-senate-bill-jones.html.csp[/url]

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Trades;4374272]So a teen needs parental consent to get a tan or earrings but can get an abortion without anyone knowing. Good policy! I am not a rabid pro-lifer like some here but how much more inconsistent can we be?[/QUOTE]

Utah requires parental notification for abortions.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4374296]Utah requires parental notification for abortions.[/QUOTE]

LOL, ok then I stand corrected.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

This is a good bill. Kids are stupid, and skin cancer is no joke.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Bonhomme Richard;4374348]This is a good bill. Kids are stupid, and skin cancer is no joke.[/QUOTE]

I agree and the reason I posted it was:

A. I didn't realize Utah still notifies parents about abortions for minors.
    B. I thought it was hypocritical if A wasn't true.

[QUOTE=Bonhomme Richard;4374348]This is a good bill. Kids are stupid, and skin cancer is no joke.[/QUOTE]

agreed.

All Pro
    Why does the idea of tanning Mormon's make me chuckle?

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Trades;4374359]I agree and the reason I posted it was:

A. I didn't realize Utah still notifies parents about abortions for minors.
    B. I thought it was hypocritical if A wasn't true.[/QUOTE]

Good post.

Not making fun of you. You almost never see someone say, I didn't know that and I stand corrected. And i agree with everyone's post on here, including yours if Utah didn't require minors to report to their guardian.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=chirorob;4374623]Good post.

Not making fun of you. You almost never see someone say, I didn't know that and I stand corrected. And i agree with everyone's post on here, including yours if Utah didn't require minors to report to their guardian.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I never understood demanding I am right even when I know I made a mistake.

Thought this is funny an similar to my original misplaced indignation...

[IMG]http://media.reason.com/mc/mriggs/2012_02/ChipBokNuggets.jpg?h=446&w=600[/IMG]