Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tannenbaum at the Combine

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FreshBaked 24 7;4375622]I think Gholston evened the disparity out just a bit...

But in all seriousness Mangini had the luxury of picking in two of the most talent laden drafts when we got Brick Mangold and Revis[/QUOTE]

brick was an easy pick. jets traded up for harris but could have had woodley too. then they rooked mangini in trading up for sanchez; cleveland could have demanded more.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jordy;4375625]I still believe that Mangini took Gholston only because he heard rumblings that BB was going to grab him with the number 1 pick. And I wouldn't be surprised if BB intentionally leaked that information.[/QUOTE]

Are you insinuating that BB lacks integrity?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=frankiepapa;4375633]I really think that Tanny relies on his actual talent evaluators, Clinkscales and his staff more than anything. I would think they provide him with 75% of his decision making.[/QUOTE]

Like Tanny should and the evaluators should....That is their responsibility.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4375650]Are you insinuating that BB lacks integrity?[/QUOTE]
    No.

He does. That's a fact. Cheating on your spouse is the ultimate betrayal. And that carries with it a lack of integrity. If he can do that, he can do anything.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=C Mart;4375651]Like Tanny should and the evaluators should....That is their responsibility.[/QUOTE]

That's why after logging hours and hours of scouting time and at a huge expense he lets the coach have his one pick and laughs about it and why they pick Sanchez's best buddy with a late round pick (really good scouts bread and butter.)

Tannenbaum has been good at being aggressive at going after top end players early in the draft and trading for proven vets but has been terrible at his total lack of value on mid to low end picks.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Beerfish;4375674]That's why after logging hours and hours of scouting time and at a huge expense he lets the coach have his one pick and laughs about it and why they pick Sanchez's best buddy with a late round pick (really good scouts bread and butter.)

Tannenbaum has been good at being aggressive at going after top end players early in the draft and trading for proven vets but has been terrible at his total lack of value on mid to low end picks.[/QUOTE]

Are you referring to Connor? Was he a reach in the 5th? It didn't sound like it by pre-draft reports. I can see an issue if Rex is using a draft pick on a guy with an undraftable grade..But it didn't seem to be the case..I also remember Gil Brandt stating after Scotty McKnight's pro day he probably had a draftable grade..now was it the right pick..that's debatable after picking Kerley earlier..

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ugh... McKnight again...

Of the 10 or so dudes drafted after McKnight 3 were cut from their respective teams, 2 were IR'd and one is a murderer playing for the lolphins...

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=rextilleon;4375061]Tannenbaum might be the worst evaluator of personnel in the NFL. He is good with contracts though--as I have always called him--a Bean Counter.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. Good point. I understand that for a high, first round pick, the Sanchez contract was pretty good.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=frankiepapa;4375633]I really think that Tanny relies on his actual talent evaluators, Clinkscales and his staff more than anything. I would think they provide him with 75% of his decision making.[/QUOTE]

So, who does the good 25% part?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=C Mart;4375751]Are you referring to Connor? Was he a reach in the 5th? It didn't sound like it by pre-draft reports. I can see an issue if Rex is using a draft pick on a guy with an undraftable grade..But it didn't seem to be the case..I also remember Gil Brandt stating after Scotty McKnight's pro day he probably had a draftable grade..now was it the right pick..that's debatable after picking Kerley earlier..[/QUOTE]

I had connor in a mock draft going to the jets that year. Bilal Powell for one and it's not the player as much as the principle. Here we have guys that we pay to scout all year around and then 24 hours before draft day we show Rex an hour of film and he sees a guy smash someone and that's his guy. There are probably 350 guys that have draftable grades as once you get into the 6th round it's usually 6th, 7th, FA.

He also totally undervalues later picks in trades.

Leon Washington and a 6th rounder for a 5th rounder.
    Trading down in the 3rd round for only a 7th rounder.
    Trade a 6th rounder to move up a few spots in the 4th round.
    Trade a 4th rounder along with Vilma for a 3rd and 4th rounder.

Using picks to be aggressive in getting high end guys, fine. Tossing away 6th rounders and such is not smart.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The fact really is that since 2007, Tanny really hasn't been picking as well. I mean sure Dustin Keller and Kyle Wilson are good players, players that won't be going anywhere anytime soon. But the fact still remains, Brick, Nick, Revis, and Harris were all difference makers. They have all turned out to be players that you make the foundation of a SB winning team on.

Now, the Jets really need a talent infusion. Tanny and Rex got a little too confident in what they had on the team and felt they could deal guys like Brad Smith, Tony Richardson, Damien Woody, and many others.

I'm not sure how much talent there truly is in this years draft, but I tend to believe most of the talent will need to come through free agency.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=augustiniak;4375646]brick was an easy pick. jets traded up for harris but could have had woodley too. [B]then they rooked mangini in trading up for sanchez; [/B]cleveland could have demanded more.[/QUOTE]

mangini was gone by then!! that was rex pick!!!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ryan10;4376202]mangini was gone by then!! that was rex pick!!![/QUOTE]

You misread the post. Mangini was with cleveland then and that is who we made the trade with. Thus we rooked mangini. And even though I'm not a huge huge Sanchez fan the deal itself was a brilliant one from the jets point of view.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Beerfish;4376209]You misread the post. Mangini was with cleveland then and that is who we made the trade with. Thus we rooked mangini. And even though I'm not a huge huge Sanchez fan the deal itself was a brilliant one from the jets point of view.[/QUOTE]

my bad i did read it wrong..at the time it was a great deal!!! right now jury is out cause if sanchez doesnt improve wont look as good..

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE]Kyle Wilson are good players, [/QUOTE]

Hahahahahahahaahahahahaha. Thanks for making my morning. Hilarious.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;4376221]Hahahahahahahaahahahahaha. Thanks for making my morning. Hilarious.[/QUOTE]

[B]Sparano is going to do for the running game what Don "Air" Coryall did for the passing game. [/B]

you say this toungue in cheek? or do u really believe this? i hope your right..they need to improve o-line big time..and a hr hitting rb wouldnt hurt either.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ryan10;4376217]my bad i did read it wrong..at the time it was a great deal!!! right now jury is out cause if sanchez doesnt improve wont look as good..[/QUOTE]

Yes it will..They still didn't give up anything.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4375618]They were Mangini's picks.

Jets haven't had a good draft since he left.[/QUOTE]

True for the most part. I still think Wikerson will be a player though.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=C Mart;4376234]Yes it will..They still didn't give up anything.[/QUOTE]

as far as the deal yes..but the money and cap hit for a 1st rounder at the time w no rookie cap would be considered a hit..also if he doesnt turn out to be more than what he is..than the pick itself is a bad one and the trade wont look as good bacause you could have taken someone else there!!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can someone slap tanny and tell him hunter is not an NFL tackle