Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 10 year wedding anniversary trip

Jets Insider VIP
    Congrats and enjoy the beaches ;)

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=LockeJET;4374924]So in a few weeks the wife and I and a few couples are headed for vacation. Ours and also another couples 10 year anniversary.

We're going to St. Martin, St. Kitts, Tortola, Barbados & the Dominica.

Would love some info from people who've been to these islands. Places we must see, beaches we must go too, food we must eat, bars, excursions we must take, whatever you feel we must do. Also the wife loves nude beaches. Any info on what's safe and where to go?

Thanks guys!! All and any suggestions are very much appreciated.[/QUOTE]

If you are going to be in Tortola for an evening, check out either Quito's Gazebo in Cane Garden Bay or Michael Beans on Marina Cay. Quito is a reggae singer who owns the bar and plays on most nights - definitely worthwhile.

But if Beans is around and you can make it over, you should try and catch him. Marina Cay is a short boat ride from Beef Island (where the Tortola airport is) and is basically a small island with a Pussers Bar by the dock and an additional bar a little bit of a hike up the hill (no more than 5 minutes or so I think). On top, you have a beautiful view of the surrounding islands and the water and at happy hour (round 5pm), Beans plays a solo show. He's part Buffett-esque, part comedian and puts on a great show, passing out shots, etc.

I don't know anything about where cruises dock or how hard it will be (or impossible) for you to get to any of these spots, but if you get a chance, either are great times. Quito a bit more laid back, Beans a bit more wild (and earlier which may make it more feasible).

Also, if you are looking for a place to walk around, get something to eat, etc., Soper's Hole (West End) has some nice shops and places to eat.

[QUOTE=parkwayjet1;4375323]I took a cruise last month, and one of the stops was St. Maarten (Dutch side of the island; St. Martin is the spelling for the French side). My brothers went to this bar (don't know the name) that sits right next to the island's only airport. The large jets come in so low on their approach that it seems the wheels are going to knock the roof off the place. My brothers took video to show me (I was with the wife and kids on a bus tour - don't ask). ALSO, the bartender at this place gives out free drinks to women who remove their tops. My sister was there and she verified this, since I thought the bros were possibly BSing me.

Anyway, NEXT time I'm going there. But maybe you can report back sooner and tell us what you saw.[/QUOTE]

I went to the same place. The Sunset Bar and Grill

I love aviation and watching those planes land and take off was a blast. You can even walk over to the beach and be right underneath their path and get blown over by the force. I can't believe they let people get so close but they do.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbeD7TwYgNE&feature=related[/url]

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_mepEt0-Qo[/url]

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MyVUJPmmO8&feature=related[/url]

Do the America's Cup boat racing in St Martin.

[URL="www.12metre.com/"]www.12metre.com/[/URL]
    The Number 1 Excursion in the Caribbean! The St Maarten 12 Metre Challenge is voted the best thing to do; sailing on a real America's Cup racing yacht.

Veteran
    Holy crap, after reading this thread, I just realized that my wedding anniversary is tomorrow. :eek: :D
    Guess my husband and I will be going out to dinner.

[QUOTE=Lone Star Lady;4375557]Holy crap, after reading this thread, I just realized that my wedding anniversary is tomorrow. :eek: :D
    Guess my husband and I will be going out to dinner.[/QUOTE]

Maybe he will wake you up for sex?

Veteran
    [QUOTE=FF2;4375559]Maybe he will wake you up for sex?[/QUOTE]

LOL. Oh man, I don't even want to go near that thread. :D

Or the SAR-taking-a-bus and GMC-bragging one, either.

[QUOTE=Lone Star Lady;4375588]LOL. Oh man, I don't even want to go near that thread. :D

Or the SAR-taking-a-bus and GMC-bragging one, either.[/QUOTE]

GMC is following SAR's bus as we speak... LOL!!!!!

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=JStokes;4375046]Silly question, but can you get away for one measly round of golf?

Teeth of the Dog at Casa de Campo in La Romana in the Dominican Republic is spectacular.

All the holes are up and down the coast, hitting over small inlets and tiny coves and bays to greens sticking out into the ocean.

Gorgeous.

_[/QUOTE]

I've golfed the Teeth of the Dog before, it's incredible. But i'm going to Dominica not the Dominican Republic.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=JStokes;4375046]Silly question, but can you get away for one measly round of golf?

Teeth of the Dog at Casa de Campo in La Romana in the Dominican Republic is spectacular.

All the holes are up and down the coast, hitting over small inlets and tiny coves and bays to greens sticking out into the ocean.

Gorgeous.

_[/QUOTE]

I have a great Teeth of the Dog story. My dad and I were playing that course about 6 or 7 years ago (Dominican was a stop on a cruise we were taking). The caddies were great, and in between shots were telling us all about the history of the land, the course, and Pete Dye, the legendary architect who designed the course.

So we get to the signature hole, a downhill par 3 that juts out into the ocean (reminiscent of the 7th at Pebble Beach). As we're walking down to the green, the caddy says to us:

Caddy: "See that house up on that hill adjacent to the green? That's Pete Dye's house."

Us: "Oh wow, cool."

Caddy: "Yeah, you want to meet him? Usually around this time he's on his deck eating lunch."

Us: "Uhhh... What?"

Caddy: "I'll check if he's there."

With that the guy drops the bags off his shoulders, climbs up this hill and then motions for us to follow. So we do. We come upon this giant veranda where an old man (Pete Dye), a very fat man (his son, PB), and a guy dressed like a chef are milling around a huge buffet table. The caddy introduces us and, surprisingly, Pete couldn't have been more gracious. He was saying how he and his son were just about to eat lunch (all that food was just for them), while the son is on the phone negotiating a deal on Mike Tyson's old estate in Michigan to build a new golf course.

We posed for a quick picture with the Dyes, and went on our way. True story.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=LockeJET;4377688]I've golfed the Teeth of the Dog before, it's incredible. But i'm going to Dominica not the Dominican Republic.[/QUOTE]

D'OH! :O

[QUOTE=Bonhomme Richard;4377737]I have a great Teeth of the Dog story. My dad and I were playing that course about 6 or 7 years ago (Dominican was a stop on a cruise we were taking). The caddies were great, and in between shots were telling us all about the history of the land, the course, and Pete Dye, the legendary architect who designed the course.

So we get to the signature hole, a downhill par 3 that juts out into the ocean (reminiscent of the 7th at Pebble Beach). As we're walking down to the green, the caddy says to us:

Caddy: "See that house up on that hill adjacent to the green? That's Pete Dye's house."

Caddy: "Yeah, you want to meet him? Usually around this time he's on his deck eating lunch."

With that the guy drops the bags off his shoulders, climbs up this hill and then motions for us to follow. So we do. We come upon this giant veranda where an old man (Pete Dye), a very fat man (his son, PB), and a guy dressed like a chef are milling around a huge buffet table. The caddy introduces us and, surprisingly, Pete couldn't have been more gracious. He was saying how he and his son were just about to eat lunch (all that food was just for them), while the son is on the phone negotiating a deal on Mike Tyson's old estate in Michigan to build a new golf course.

We posed for a quick picture with the Dyes, and went on our way. True story.[/QUOTE]

Very cool. Our caddy just showed us Sammy Sosa's house.

_

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

careful you don't get bushwacked in St. Maarten

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=Bonhomme Richard;4377737]I have a great Teeth of the Dog story. My dad and I were playing that course about 6 or 7 years ago (Dominican was a stop on a cruise we were taking). The caddies were great, and in between shots were telling us all about the history of the land, the course, and Pete Dye, the legendary architect who designed the course.

We posed for a quick picture with the Dyes, and went on our way. True story.[/QUOTE]

That's a fantastic story. I was just checking out the website for Pound Ridge the other day. Going to try and get around to play it this year. A pretty penny, but as I always tell my wife, playing the most expensive per round courses doesn't come close to paying for a club, so I'll drop the occasional big dollar to play a nice course.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=crasherino;4377780]That's a fantastic story. I was just checking out the website for Pound Ridge the other day. Going to try and get around to play it this year. A pretty penny, but as I always tell my wife, playing the most expensive per round courses doesn't come close to paying for a club, so I'll drop the occasional big dollar to play a nice course.[/QUOTE]

I like that justification. And really, what's more fulfilling? I would think the bucket list golf courses.

Pebble Beach is up there at #1 for me.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Bonhomme Richard;4377847]I like that justification. And really, what's more fulfilling? I would think the bucket list golf courses.

[/QUOTE]

+1

[QUOTE=Bonhomme Richard;4377847]

Pebble Beach is up there at #1 for me.[/QUOTE]

+2.

Because I figure Augusta ain't ever happening. :(

_

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=Bonhomme Richard;4377847]I like that justification. And really, what's more fulfilling? I would think the bucket list golf courses.

Pebble Beach is up there at #1 for me.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=JStokes;4377854]+1

+2.

_[/QUOTE]

What's it cost now at Pebble, about $450 or so? That's a no brainer if you happen to be in the area. You'll forget about the money soon after, but the memory will be with you forever.

I just bought/won a 4some at Bayonne Golf Club from my son's school's fundraiser....its going to cost about $400 or a man. Pricey, but that course is just amazing (yes, I splurged last year as well on it). Isn't quite as well known as its neighbor Liberty, but its truly unique in a number of ways.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=JStokes;4377854]+1

+2.

_[/QUOTE]

Pebble Beach is #1
    St. Andrews is #2

A friend of that family's got to play Augusta last year through a client. He actually did a whole weekend there... stayed in one of the cabins, played the 9 par 3 course, and then the real course twice. That's not even a once in a lifetime opportunity, that's like a once in 5 lifetimes.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Here's to ten more years and counting for you and your spouse!:yes:

[QUOTE=JStokes;4377757]D'OH! :O

Very cool. Our caddy just showed us Sammy Sosa's house.

_[/QUOTE]

My brother took me out on a course in Florida. Deion Sanders house was alongside one hole. He and his friends would write nasty messages on balls and drive them into his house. Good times.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=FF2;4378183]My brother took me out on a course in Florida. Deion Sanders house was alongside one hole. He and his friends would write nasty messages on balls and drive them into his house. Good times.[/QUOTE]

We did the same thing at St. Andrews. Wrote "Jew" on the balls.

:alien:
    _