Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FA Tight Ends

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

FA Tight Ends

3. Martellus Bennett

Scouting Report: A perennial breakout candidate since entering the league as a second-round pick in 2008, Bennett underachieved for the fourth straight year in 2011, catching just 17 passes for a career-low 144 yards. Among others, Bennett found himself out-shined in the Cowboys’ passing game by September signing Laurent Robinson and special teamer Jesse Holley. Inconsistent, immature and never lauded for his hands, Bennett has only really ever excelled at run blocking.

Availability: Although a (slowly) declining Jason Witten will turn 30 in May, the wide expectation is that Bennett will hit the open market. Despite a frustrating four years in Dallas, it’s still possible Bennett’s impressive blocking and measurables (6’6, 267 pounds, 4.67 40 at the 2008 Combine) could earn him a multi-year deal. If nothing else, he should be in line for no shortage of one-year offers from teams who think the main thing he needs at the age of 25 is a change of scenery. In need of more athleticism in their receiver corps and shoring up their run game, the Jets could be a possibility.

Prediction: Jets on a two-year, $5 million contract.

per RotoWorld

i like it. Bennett has been a solid player, good blocker and good receiver. thoughts?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like him also and I think he'd fit in well with the Jets scheme.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The guy would be a good fit and the price seems appropriate

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    His named kinda jumped out at me too when I was looking at the list of FA TEs.

Definitely worth taking a flyer on, especially if he can be landed for something like $5M over 2 years.

He has a lot of talent, and is just the type of TE that Sparano likes to work with - a big guy who can block, but also with the ability to get downfield in the passing game.

A move from Dallas to work with Sparano in Miami worked wonders for another Dallas backup TE (Fasano) so giving a similar shot to Bennett could be a good move.

Veteran
    North Shore of Long Island. East Setauket
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=heymangold;4375113]3. Martellus Bennett

Scouting Report: A perennial breakout candidate since entering the league as a second-round pick in 2008, Bennett underachieved for the fourth straight year in 2011, catching just 17 passes for a career-low 144 yards. Among others, Bennett found himself out-shined in the Cowboys’ passing game by September signing Laurent Robinson and special teamer Jesse Holley. Inconsistent, immature and never lauded for his hands, Bennett has only really ever excelled at run blocking.

Availability: Although a (slowly) declining Jason Witten will turn 30 in May, the wide expectation is that Bennett will hit the open market. Despite a frustrating four years in Dallas, it’s still possible Bennett’s impressive blocking and measurables (6’6, 267 pounds, 4.67 40 at the 2008 Combine) could earn him a multi-year deal. If nothing else, he should be in line for no shortage of one-year offers from teams who think the main thing he needs at the age of 25 is a change of scenery. In need of more athleticism in their receiver corps and shoring up their run game, the Jets could be a possibility.

per RotoWorld

i like it. Bennett has been a solid player, good blocker and good receiver. thoughts?[/QUOTE]

he is a pretty big dude. wouldnt mind having him to help spring the running game

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can't be worse than Mulligan.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=heymangold;4375113]3. Martellus Bennett

per RotoWorld

i like it. Bennett has been a solid player, good blocker and good receiver. thoughts?[/QUOTE]

If he signs a short contract it will be a one year deal so he can hit FA again.
    With Keller as the #1 receiving option how many shots is he going to get?
    He is going to look for a place where he is the #1 TE. My guess is the Bears, Bills or Rams

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Last time we signed a backup from Dallas, it was Kenyon Coleman.

I know it has nothing to do with it now, but it's just bad joo joo to me.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like Bennett, IMO a good fit for Sparano's offense, may have some upside.
    Think about Dustin Keller following Schotty to the Rams, for a 4th round pick in 2012 ( first pick of the fourth round) and the infamous 6th round conditional pick in 2013. What make this nice for the Jets is that it could be CAP neutral, because Keller's departure is 3million off the cap. This could also work for the Rams and Schotty implementing his offense .
    Projecting that Rams will trade the 2nd overall pick to the Redskins , for the Redskins first, second and 4th round picks in 2012 and the Redskins 2nd round pick in 2013:D

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE]Bennett underachieved for the fourth straight year in 2011, catching just 17 passes for a career-low 144 yards.[/QUOTE]

An underacheiver who does nothing when he is on the field. YES!!!!!!!!!!!
    Hes a must sign.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;4375348]An underacheiver who does nothing when he is on the field. YES!!!!!!!!!!!
    Hes a must sign.[/QUOTE]

his underachieving is still better then mulligan.

Bennett: 85 rec, 846 yds for 4 TDs (Witten is the man there)

Mulligan: 6 rec, 60 yds for 0 TDs. (?)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    If he comes cheap, it's definitley tempting, but I'm guessing someone will gamble on the guy and pay him more than he's worth.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;4375348]An underacheiver who does nothing when he is on the field. YES!!!!!!!!!!!
    Hes a must sign.[/QUOTE]

[B]Visanthe Shiancoe[/B]

First four years: Averaged 8.75 catches/year
    Last 5 years: Averaged 41.6 catches/year

Sometimes, it's all about an opportunity.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Draft George Bryan on day 2. He's 6'5 265 lbs, a very good blocker and while not projected as a great NFL receiver he was productive in college.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Nick Blitz;4375294]Can't be worse than Mulligan.[/QUOTE]
    NO ONE could be worse than that.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;4375348]An underacheiver [B]who does nothing when he is on the field[/B]. YES!!!!!!!!!!!
    Hes a must sign.[/QUOTE]
    Did you make that part up?

I doubt you've ever seen him play.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=John_0515;4375312]Last time we signed a backup from Dallas, it was Kenyon Coleman.

I know it has nothing to do with it now, but it's just bad joo joo to me.[/QUOTE]

Bad?

Coleman did a nice job. And previous anything should NEVER be a factor.

I remember some fools on here against the Jets even looking at Miles Austin because they kept bringing up McCareins. That logic is just retarded..

Treat each guy as an individual and trust your opinion on the guy.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bennett is complete idiot who has done nothing in Dallas despite getting every chance in the world. Pass. But would take him over Mulligan, of course.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Nick Blitz;4375294]Can't be worse than Mulligan.[/QUOTE]

This

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dimitri_0515;4375123]I like him also and I think he'd fit in well with the Jets scheme.[/QUOTE]

after last year...wasn't certain we had a scheme.