Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you think the Jets can compete for a SB next season?

Do you think the Jets can compete for a SB next season?

Reading all of the recent articles that I've seen regarding the Jets cap situation, it makes me wonder.

All of the reading points to the Jets being financially strapped. Sure, they restructured Brick's contract freeing up about 7.5 million, but that won't be enough. They will need to do a lot more restructuring and likely parting ways with some underachieving players.

Certainly, it appears that even in the best case scenario the Jets will not have the freedom to go after any player they choose. They will have to pursue a lot of the under the radar moves and spend wisely.

Then, you see the Patsies are 20 million under the cap. Our biggest competition is in much better financial position than we are. I would also tend to believe that they will be very active in free agency. They will have the freedom to go after any player they choose.

So I wonder if the Jets can truly compete for a SB next season?

I'm confident in saying that the basics for a SB winning team are already here. Guys like Nick Mangold, Darrelle Revis, David Harris, Sione Pouha (given that he gets resigned, which I'm sure they will do) and others should make you at least confident that the basics are already there.

However, the decisions that the FO made going into last season have proven to be disastrous. Deciding to part ways with players like Damien Woody, Ben Hartsock, Tony Richardson, and many others. I really don't care to name all of them, it pains me too much.

So really there are several areas where the Jets must improve to legitimately compete for the SB.

So what do you think? What is the more likely scenario?

Can the Jets make all of the contractual moves needed to become active in FA? Can they hit on many of there draft choices, like in 2006 and 2007? And, in the end become a very competitive team that could potentially take down the Patsies and go far in the playoffs?

Or do you believe the more likely scenario is that the Jets are in a minor rebuilding phase where they will not eligible for AFC East supremacy for probably another season or more?

Couple of impact players, draft well. Jets should contend again, no problem.

2012 jets will be 8-8 again.

yes but it also depends on if Sanchez progresses more. The end of last year he quit IMO. I just don't know if he is mentally capable but a new OC should help a lot. If he can even play average ball we will make the POs and have a shot.

Banned
    [QUOTE=Mainejet;4376287]

Or do you believe the more likely scenario is that the Jets are in a minor rebuilding phase where they will not eligible for AFC East supremacy for probably another season or more?

[/QUOTE]

If the Jets can not win 13+ games the next couple of seasons, they will be in the same position they have been in the last 5 years.

Hoping for teams to lose down the stretch so they can back in and secure the final 6th seed Wild Card spot.

Ryan says..

[IMG]http://i788.photobucket.com/albums/yy165/suwonsports/250w-rex-ryan-pissed.jpg[/IMG]

[B]Can the Jets make all of the contractual moves needed to become active in FA? Can they hit on many of there draft choices, like in 2006 and 2007? And, in the end become a very competitive team that could potentially take down the Patsies and go far in the playoffs?[/B]

too early to answer this question..lets wait for the off-season to play out..right now this roster is NOT a superbowl roster...too many qustions at key positions..qb,wr2,rt, 2 safetys...too many holes that hopefully if mr.T plays his cards right they can address..

[QUOTE=Dreamers;4376292]yes but it also depends on if Sanchez progresses more. The end of last year he quit IMO. [B]I just don't know if he is mentally capable [/B]but a new OC should help a lot. If he can even play average ball we will make the POs and have a shot.[/QUOTE]

my biggest concern about him!!!

Jets Insider VIP
    This question can't be answered until FA and the draft are over, and the final team is assembled.

If the Jets sign a couple key guys and have a great (not good, great) draft, they can absolutely become a contender again.

But another weak draft and no infusion through FA, and the Jets will be a middle of the road team once again.

All Pro
    To early to tell.....

[QUOTE=bigdanNJ;4376290]2012 jets will be 8-8 again.[/QUOTE]

:yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:

[QUOTE=Mainejet;4376287]Reading all of the recent articles that I've seen regarding the Jets cap situation, it makes me wonder.

All of the reading points to the Jets being financially strapped. Sure, they restructured Brick's contract freeing up about 7.5 million, but that won't be enough. They will need to do a lot more restructuring and likely parting ways with some underachieving players.

Certainly, it appears that even in the best case scenario the Jets will not have the freedom to go after any player they choose. They will have to pursue a lot of the under the radar moves and spend wisely.

Then, you see the Patsies are 20 million under the cap. Our biggest competition is in much better financial position than we are. I would also tend to believe that they will be very active in free agency. They will have the freedom to go after any player they choose.

So I wonder if the Jets can truly compete for a SB next season?

I'm confident in saying that the basics for a SB winning team are already here. Guys like Nick Mangold, Darrelle Revis, David Harris, Sione Pouha (given that he gets resigned, which I'm sure they will do) and others should make you at least confident that the basics are already there.

However, the decisions that the FO made going into last season have proven to be disastrous. Deciding to part ways with players like Damien Woody, Ben Hartsock, Tony Richardson, and many others. I really don't care to name all of them, it pains me too much.

So really there are several areas where the Jets must improve to legitimately compete for the SB.

So what do you think? What is the more likely scenario?

Can the Jets make all of the contractual moves needed to become active in FA? Can they hit on many of there draft choices, like in 2006 and 2007? And, in the end become a very competitive team that could potentially take down the Patsies and go far in the playoffs?

Or do you believe the more likely scenario is that the Jets are in a minor rebuilding phase where they will not eligible for AFC East supremacy for probably another season or more?[/QUOTE]
    Either we gel around the talent we have get 10 wins and see what happens in the playoffs. This could happen,if Rex leads the way . I can also see it all falling apart 4 wins and a another rebuild. It all depends on Rex and how the team responds to him. Teams with far less talent then we have on our roster right now have won a Super Bowl. We think we need an All-pro at each position like the Yankees we might just be better off not making major changes and allow the players we have gel.

[QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4376293]If the Jets can not win 13+ games the next couple of seasons, they will be in the same position they have been in the last 5 years.

Hoping for teams to lose down the stretch so they can back in and secure the final 6th seed Wild Card spot.[/QUOTE]

That's exactly what the Giants did this year! Great analogy Mr. Troll....:rolleyes:

[QUOTE=auctionking;4376304]Either we gel around the talent we have get 10 wins and see what happens in the playoffs. This could happen,if Rex leads the way . I can also see it all falling apart 4 wins and a another rebuild. It all depends on Rex and how the team responds to him. [B]Teams with far less talent then we have on our roster right now have won a Super Bowl.[/B] We think we need an All-pro at each position like the Yankees we might just be better off not making major changes and allow the players we have gel.[/QUOTE]

:huh::huh: were is the elite talent on this team???..other than our cb's on defense..maybe our ILB..WHERE IS THERE ELITE TALENT ON DEF? no safetys no pass rushers.. on the other side of the ball the o-line has 3 very good to excellent players 1 avg at best(slausson) and 1 disaster(hunter)..mediocre qb at best mediocre rb..a #1 wr who is a malcontent and produces like a #3 wr stat wise..no other wr to speak of that has made an impact in nfl yet..our te is one-dimensional..we dont have any depth there..where exactly is this great talent???

[QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4376293]If the Jets can not win 13+ games the next couple of seasons, they will be in the same position they have been in the last 5 years.

Hoping for teams to lose down the stretch so they can back in and secure the final 6th seed Wild Card spot.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, I'm thinking you are right TX. The only team that seems to know how to beat the Patsies during the regular season is the Jets. And even at that rate, they still got thumped by the Patsies twice last season.

I also look at Rex's shortcomings as a HC during the regular season and think the Jets could never win 13+ games. Rex drops the ball about certain fundamentals of the game. He doesn't stay on top of the players enough about those things.

So I tend to believe you are right. Unless, Rex can become a better HC (not tremendously better, he's already a better than average HC) the Jets will always be fighting for a wild card spot. They'll always be chasing the Patsies because they just do not lose many regaular season games.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Depends on how Sanchez plays. He needs to improve and we need to put more talent around him.

So here we sit on 2/25, 3 weeks before free agency and two months from the draft and we get this question?

Lets wait until after the draft and revisit this.

Jets Insider VIP
    No, we cannot competefor a title. Not enough speed on either side of the ball.

[QUOTE=10PennyToColes87;4376300]This question can't be answered until FA and the draft are over, and the final team is assembled.

If the Jets sign a couple key guys and have a great (not good, great) draft, they can absolutely become a contender again.

But another weak draft and no infusion through FA, and the Jets will be a middle of the road team once again.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this. I certainly think it is possible that the Jets could hit on all areas during the offseason and be back better than ever in 2012.

I also very much believe if they come up with SH%T again through the draft, they'll likely be a losing team, something like 6-10 to 9-7.

Banned
    [QUOTE=Sports;4376305]That's exactly what the Giants did this year! Great analogy Mr. Troll....:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Yep, keep thinking the Jets can do the same thing.:rolleyes:

They can't.

If all you are hoping for is to back into the playoffs as the 6th WC seed and win the Super Bowl, you are delusional.

For the Jets to have a legitimate shot at the Bowl, they need to secure the #1 or #2 seed in the AFC.

And going back to my original post, they will need 13+ wins to accomplish that.