Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you think the Jets can compete for a SB next season?

[QUOTE=DDNYjets;4376372]Contend for a playoff spot? Yes.

Legitimate SB contender? No.

The Jets are no longer just one-player away. In 2009 and 2010 they had very talented teams. But in NFL years, that was eons ago. I think a lot of personnel and team philosophy/identity mistakes were made in prior to the 2011 season. That combined with drafting poorly or at the very least not drafting immediate impact players has led the Jets to take a step back.

The Jets are at a cross roads in 2012 for sure. But this is what happens to nearly every team. Windows are short in the NFL.

Success is cyclical unless you have one of those 5 precious gems. Those teams reload, the others rebuild.[/QUOTE]

Come on. Not many believed that the Jets were 1 player away in 2009 -- rookie HC and QB? The prevailing thought was NE with a healthy Tammy returning would win the AFC a season after winning 11 games with a backup QB.

[URL="http://footballschedule.me/new-york-jets-schedule"]http://footballschedule.me/new-york-jets-schedule[/URL]

Well look at it like this I believe we face the west next year so SL, Seattle, Zona, and SF at home are all easy wins IMO. Bills x2, SD, Miami x2, Indy, and Jax that is already 11 games we should win IMO. Maybe we lose 1 or 2 but still 9 win min with those games. Then NEx2, Houston, and Tenn are all winnable with our talent as well. The Steeler may be the one write off on the year. I think we are a 10 win team easy with a possibility of a 12-13 win season. I just wish the Tenn game was a home game.
    Last edited by Dreamers; 02-25-2012 at 02:34 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=jetssjumets;4376390]Come on. Not many believed that the Jets were 1 player away in 2009 -- rookie HC and QB? The prevailing thought was NE with a healthy Tammy returning would win the AFC a season after winning 11 games with a backup QB.[/QUOTE]

I meant after 2009. After 2009 they were a ready made team.

But I will say that I still feel the 2008 team was the most talented of all the teams from 2008-2011. Favre doesnt get hurt and the Jets probably never end up with Sanchez.

Banned
    [QUOTE=sameoldjets;4376369]they may not be able to win 13+ games but neither will the patsies. in case you hadn't noticed, brady's arm is pretty well shot.[/QUOTE]

Over the last 5 seasons, the Patriots have [B][U]AVERAGED[/U][/B] 13 wins per season. Absolutely nothing will change over the next 2 or 3 seasons.

I'll take a QB with a "shot" arm who throws for 5,000 yards and takes his team to the Super Bowl any day of the week.

Seriously, where do you guys come up with this stuff? :rolleyes:

Banned
    [QUOTE=jetssjumets;4376387]+10 Billion.

Let's see, the past few SB champs how many had at least 13 wins:

NYG -- no
    GB -- no
    NO -- yes
    Pitt -- no
    nyg -- no
    Ind -- no
    Pitt -- no

While winning 13 or more games makes the path to the SB much easier, it by no means is the formula for winning the SB. Furthermore, each season takes on a life of its own. Cap status, draft picks, etc. are not the overwhelming factor why a team wins. During the course of the season who and when you play a team has more to do with your overall success than what happens in the offseason.

Btw, just turn the clock back to August last year and see what most NYG fans were saying about the team's lack of moves especially at WR when they lost Smith to the Eagles and we got Plax.[/QUOTE]

You are missing the point.

In order for the Jets to win the AFCE (and avoid yet another WC appearance), they will have to win 13+ games, because that is what the Pats have averaged over the last 5 years.

Next year will be no different.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Dimitri_0515;4376289]Couple of impact players, draft well. Jets should contend again, no problem.[/QUOTE]

agreed. Time in camp and OTA's will help guys like Hunter, mcKnight, the draftees, Caleb , Mauga and Bellore. I also think that Sanchez will benefit from camp and other training sessions. He is too young to give up on. We must draft well especially at safety and OLB. I expect Bellore and Mauga to step it up at MLB. Ellis will benefit greatly as will Kerley and Powell. I think we will compete strongly against all teams we face !

[QUOTE=jetssjumets;4376387]+10 Billion.

Let's see, the past few SB champs how many had at least 13 wins:

NYG -- no
    GB -- no
    NO -- yes
    Pitt -- no
    nyg -- no
    Ind -- no
    Pitt -- no

While winning 13 or more games makes the path to the SB much easier, it by no means is the formula for winning the SB. Furthermore, each season takes on a life of its own. Cap status, draft picks, etc. are not the overwhelming factor why a team wins. During the course of the season who and when you play a team has more to do with your overall success than what happens in the offseason.

Btw, just turn the clock back to August last year and see what most NYG fans were saying about the team's lack of moves especially at WR when they lost Smith to the Eagles and we got Plax.[/QUOTE]

All true, but who were the QB's on each of those teams?

A 9 or 10 win season plus a SB title with a QB of Sanchez's caliber would be an impressive (and exceedingly low probability) achievement.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Sure, but just compete. Too many pieces of the puzzle missing right know.

[QUOTE=Mainejet;4376287]Reading all of the recent articles that I've seen regarding the Jets cap situation, it makes me wonder.

All of the reading points to the Jets being financially strapped. Sure, they restructured Brick's contract freeing up about 7.5 million, but that won't be enough. They will need to do a lot more restructuring and likely parting ways with some underachieving players.

Certainly, it appears that even in the best case scenario the Jets will not have the freedom to go after any player they choose. They will have to pursue a lot of the under the radar moves and spend wisely.

Then, you see the Patsies are 20 million under the cap. Our biggest competition is in much better financial position than we are. I would also tend to believe that they will be very active in free agency. They will have the freedom to go after any player they choose.

So I wonder if the Jets can truly compete for a SB next season?

I'm confident in saying that the basics for a SB winning team are already here. Guys like Nick Mangold, Darrelle Revis, David Harris, Sione Pouha (given that he gets resigned, which I'm sure they will do) and others should make you at least confident that the basics are already there.

However, the decisions that the FO made going into last season have proven to be disastrous. Deciding to part ways with players like Damien Woody, Ben Hartsock, Tony Richardson, and many others. I really don't care to name all of them, it pains me too much.

So really there are several areas where the Jets must improve to legitimately compete for the SB.

So what do you think? What is the more likely scenario?

Can the Jets make all of the contractual moves needed to become active in FA? Can they hit on many of there draft choices, like in 2006 and 2007? And, in the end become a very competitive team that could potentially take down the Patsies and go far in the playoffs?

Or do you believe the more likely scenario is that the Jets are in a minor rebuilding phase where they will not eligible for AFC East supremacy for probably another season or more?[/QUOTE]

as it stands right now absolutely not.

this offseason will be critical.

As I'm reading these replies in this thread, I'm also watching the NFL Combine. More specifically 40 yard dashes for the OL, a major need for the Jets.

It seems that thus far the 10 yard splits and overall 40 yard dash times a very impressive as compared to last season. It seems that this years draft is particularly deep in OL.

What does that mean for the Jets?

What I would surmise is that the Jets can fill the holes along the OL with late first day and early second day picks. Hopefully, they can yield a RT and a blocking TE. Although some depth might not be a bad decision either.

That would leave the Jets with the ability to focus more on grabbing a defensive fornt seven player, DE or OLB with their first round pick. A real live pass rushing linebacker, something the Jets have coveted for a while now?

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4376406]You are missing the point.

In order for the Jets to win the AFCE (and avoid yet another WC appearance), they will have to win 13+ games, because that is what the Pats have averaged over the last 5 years.

Next year will be no different.[/QUOTE]

from the man who predicted that Oconnel would be a superstar.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=TurkJetFan;4376430]as it stands right now absolutely not.

this offseason will be critical.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. If player moves are not made, we're not winning a SB anytime soon.

This will be the most important offseason Tanny has had since taking over as GM. He really set this team back, putting all his eggs in one basket with the punktone contract, and not signing Braylon on the cheap when he had the chance. Sanchez and Ryan have already proven to me they can win in this league with the right players.

All League
    The fundamentals are there, this team just needs weapons instead of trying to grit it out every week for 16 weeks

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=FreshBaked 24 7;4376448]The fundamentals are there, this team just needs weapons instead of trying to grit it out every week for 16 weeks[/QUOTE]

that is a generic analysis of more than 20 teams.....

Not a chance.

[QUOTE=FreshBaked 24 7;4376448]The fundamentals are there, this team just needs weapons instead of trying to grit it out every week for 16 weeks[/QUOTE]

What do you mean about fundamentals "being there"

Sanchez--huge question mark and not at this point a fundamental.
    Defense---huge question mark with aging players and no legitimate SS's.

A full time starter with the number 16 pick and a couple of others later in the draft or via free agency and there is a chance

I am assuming the change in OC will help Sanchise, Tone and Keller

another "developmental" draft and there is no chance IMHO
    Last edited by Ohio State NY Jets fan; 02-25-2012 at 05:11 PM.

Yes

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

[QUOTE=rextilleon;4376465]What do you mean about fundamentals "being there"

Sanchez--huge question mark and not at this point a fundamental.
    Defense---huge question mark with aging players and no legitimate SS's.[/QUOTE]

The defense isn't a question mark, Rex has never had a defense finish lower than 6th. No matter what personnel you give Rex he's going to get the defense right around top-5.

With sanchez,nope!