Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Do you think the Jets can compete for a SB next season?

[QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4379786]Jets need a big, physical safety and 2 OLB's who can bring the heat.

Although he had a damn good year, I'm not 100% sold on Maybin yet.

Pace and Scott are toast.[/QUOTE]

I feel like I've been reading this exact post for 2 years and I'm tired of it.

The Jets need to fill the most glaring holes on this team, which have been there for years. If I see no safety or LB taken in the first 3 rounds I'm going to go ape ****.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=TurkJetFan;4379798]I feel like I've been reading this exact post for 2 years and I'm tired of it.

The Jets need to fill the most glaring holes on this team, which have been there for years. If I see no safety or LB taken in the first 3 rounds I'm going to go ape ****.[/QUOTE]

It's borderline amazing that we've essentially been a 3-4/hybrid for 6 full seasons now and have only spent one high pick (Gholston, the megabust) on OLB/Passrusher.

It's remarkable.

Banned
    [QUOTE=Austin;4379843]It's borderline amazing that we've essentially been a 3-4/hybrid for 6 full seasons now and have only spent one high pick (Gholston, the megabust) on OLB/Passrusher.

It's remarkable.[/QUOTE]

The problem is that 3-4 teams almost always draft a 4-3 DE and convert them to OLB.

That switch is not that easy.

[QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4379786]Jets need a big, physical safety and 2 OLB's who can bring the heat.

Although he had a damn good year, I'm not 100% sold on Maybin yet.

Pace and Scott are toast.[/QUOTE]

Really, I won't aim that high.

Any year you don't at least split with the Pats, you aren't headed anywhere.

For the next 3 years at least you will be dealing with playing against Brady, Hernandez, and Gronkowski.

If their offense is going to run through those guys then maybe it's time to take a larger snap shot of what your first order of business is for the Jets:

Beat the Pats at least once.

Don't even look beyond that since aiming higher is introducing sooo many freaking uncertainties and possibilities that you trying to plan around them is hypocritical and stupid.

To do that this team needs to do the following:

A) Any time you play against a Hall of Fame QB, whether it's Dan Marino, Johnny Unitas, or Tom Brady while not having an equally potent passing attack to trade points with those guys it's running the football. They cannot score when they are not on the field. It's not brain surgery. It's football. Those analysts can make it seem more involved than it is or you can point out the Pats crappy pass defense, but you need to run the football or get your own Hall of Fame QB (healthy Peyton Manning) and start airing it out all over the place.

As such, the Jets need a better running game and better run blocking.

So RT and RB need upgraded. Neither are outstanding. Furthermore, LT is not a great run blocker. Hopefully his restructuring doesn't destroy the cap later, but no matter how you slice it, D'Brick is not a great run blocker.

However, Brick's value goes up if your QB is on the same level as Manning or Brady.

And just an aside: Brees and the Saints are at an impasse. Reports are that they are likely to have to franchise him. So you can look down at getting a vet Hall of Famer, but if you mortgage your draft and somehow land Drew Brees or a healthy Peyton Manning defense and running are less important because everybody who doesn't have a Manning, Brees, Brady, or any of the myriad of 4000 yard passers is effectively fodder for you.

The Giants beat the Niners in the playoffs last year. New England beat Baltimore last year and the Jets lost in the AFC Championship in '09 and '10 trying to be defense and run first.........it doesn't appear to be a viable formula anymore. You need a great QB. And even if the window is relatively small for that QB at whatever stage of his career, odds are the guy you draft won't be him (Sanchez, Nagle, Foley, Clemens) or will get hurt (Pennington).

Bottom line: Any GM who doesn't think that having elite QBs allows New Orleans to skimp on their defensive personnel or allows the Giants to pick up a guy off the streets of Paterson to play wideout and be a perennial SB contender should not be a GM. It's exceedingly simple. Even if the window for Brees is 4 more years or Manning's is 3, not attempting to get either no matter the cost is assinine. Odds are you aren't drafting close to either.

What this means is that every other item I'm about to list get nullified if by some miracle the Jets can get a QB whose established transcendent play will basically cover every other hole they have.

If you doubt the truth of this, look up every team that's won a Super Bowl since the Ravens. And if you still don't believe me, look at how absolute garbage the Colts were without Manning. That team was horrendous since he covered up how awful the job the Polians had done with actually providing Peyton without even a shred of decency, aka, an 8-8 team without him.

2) The Pats offense runs through Brady, Welker, and the TE's. The running game shouldn't be an issue if step 1 is satisfied since you will control the clock. Otherwise the Jets need a safety with size who can cover.

Tyvon Branch is possibly out there, but outside of him, even LaRon Landry, considered an "elite" Safety can't cover anybody.

There's literally nobody in the draft outside of Mark Barron, who is a second rounder at best (unless you reach).

There's only really 4-5 safeties in the NFL who are decent in coverage at all. As such, while the Jets need to improve at Safety to counter the Pats, a more realistic approach would be to pray that Kyle Wilson can cover a flanker as more than a Nickle and make Cromartie cover Gronk or Hernandez since he at least has the size and speed to do so. He can't hit for crap though.

3) The Jets pass rush is abysmal personnel wise. Calvin Pace has been a huge disappointment but it's not all his fault. He gets put into coverage often since the LB corps haven't received any real boost at all since David Harris arrived via the draft.

There's plenty of possibilities out there to address this via the draft or signing Avril, Spencer, and/or even Williams.

4) RT is a massive issue and LT is really a liability no matter how much undeserved hype is thrown on Ferguson as far as running the ball goes.

Ferguson is not a great run blocker. He's almost always under 300 lbs. and really struggles at times getting a push. RT right now may as well not be there. This needs addressed. Big-time.

5) RB is a need. Whether a rotational guy to complement Greene or the emergence of McKnight and Powell in that role, something needs improved here.

You want at least 1500 yards (at the low end) from your RB's as a whole and somebody with to get up near that 5.0 yards a carry mark.

Whether by committee or by a feature back, either method can work.

[QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4379866]The problem is that 3-4 teams almost always draft a 4-3 DE and convert them to OLB.

That switch is not that easy.[/QUOTE]

Which is why Upshaw is a better prospect for the Jets than Coples or Ingram.

He has played in a 3-4 in college at both end and OLB.

All League
    [QUOTE=PMarsico9;4379897]Which is why Upshaw is a better prospect for the Jets than Coples or Ingram.

He has played in a 3-4 in college at both end and OLB.[/QUOTE] Your posts got me thinking about what I'd do if I were GM of the Jets.

Situation- 10 draft picks, limited FA possibilities

1. Since I won't have many FA options, I will link my hopes on the draft.
    2. The draft isn't that strong, but it is good at certain positions like CB, WR, DT, DE, OG. Which all happen to be areas where I need help.
    3. There is only one reason to stay at #16 is Trent Richardson. As a RB he may not be worth the #16 to a lot of teams, but I'm the Jets and he'd be more than worth it to me. With him at RB, not only would the running game be better, it would make the QB better because he'd be throwing the ball only 25 times a game instead of 40.
    4. However it is likely that Richardson will be gone by then, so the next order of business is to trade down. The true value in this draft lies in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Lots of value to be found there. So I keep trading down in the first round until I am able to add picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Now I find myself at the end of the first round, but with 5 picks in the first 100 instead of just 3.
    5. Now I can find some very interesting players to fill my gaps. There are a lot of draftniks who would propose that picks 20-50 will carry the same talent grades. The goal would be to have 3 picks in that area. If you do then guys like combine hero Steven Hill WR, as well your choice of Sanu, Jefferies, Jones, Randel or even Wright could be there. It will be likely that you'd have your choice of Barron or Harrison Smith at S. Guys like Branch, Curry, and Jones could all be there at the DE/OLB pass rush role Fleener will be there if you wanted to upgrade at TE Zerbie Sander a nice RT prospect will be there in the 2nd round

The Bottom line is the Jet would have set themselves up to pick up 5 players in the first 100 of which 4 are likely to turn out well. Then you'd have another 7 players in the rest of the draft with a reasonable likelihood that at least 3 will pan out.

7 contributors in a single draft would be the kind of infusion of talent the Jets desperately need. A huge win..., and that assumes you miss on a third of your picks. It might even be better.

Continue to add picks and draft well in 2013, and when the cap drastically expands in 2014 the Jets will have improved their overall depth and talent inexpensively through the draft. They would have a QB entering his prime after a long learning curve. They would have gotten most of their bad contracts off the books. So they would enter the 2014 season as a young rising team who would be in position to compete on an even basis for the high end FA's that sometimes put a team over the top.

[QUOTE=patsfanken;4380056]Your posts got me thinking about what I'd do if I were GM of the Jets.

Situation- 10 draft picks, limited FA possibilities

1. Since I won't have many FA options, I will link my hopes on the draft.
    2. The draft isn't that strong, but it is good at certain positions like CB, WR, DT, DE, OG. Which all happen to be areas where I need help.
    3. There is only one reason to stay at #16 is Trent Richardson. As a RB he may not be worth the #16 to a lot of teams, but I'm the Jets and he'd be more than worth it to me. With him at RB, not only would the running game be better, it would make the QB better because he'd be throwing the ball only 25 times a game instead of 40.
    4. However it is likely that Richardson will be gone by then, so the next order of business is to trade down. The true value in this draft lies in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Lots of value to be found there. So I keep trading down in the first round until I am able to add picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Now I find myself at the end of the first round, but with 5 picks in the first 100 instead of just 3.
    5. Now I can find some very interesting players to fill my gaps. There are a lot of draftniks who would propose that picks 20-50 will carry the same talent grades. The goal would be to have 3 picks in that area. If you do then guys like combine hero Steven Hill WR, as well your choice of Sanu, Jefferies, Jones, Randel or even Wright could be there. It will be likely that you'd have your choice of Barron or Harrison Smith at S. Guys like Branch, Curry, and Jones could all be there at the DE/OLB pass rush role Fleener will be there if you wanted to upgrade at TE Zerbie Sander a nice RT prospect will be there in the 2nd round

The Bottom line is the Jet would have set themselves up to pick up 5 players in the first 100 of which 4 are likely to turn out well. Then you'd have another 7 players in the rest of the draft with a reasonable likelihood that at least 3 will pan out.

7 contributors in a single draft would be the kind of infusion of talent the Jets desperately need. A huge win..., and that assumes you miss on a third of your picks. It might even be better.

Continue to add picks and draft well in 2013, and when the cap drastically expands in 2014 the Jets will have improved their overall depth and talent inexpensively through the draft. They would have a QB entering his prime after a long learning curve. They would have gotten most of their bad contracts off the books. So they would enter the 2014 season as a young rising team who would be in position to compete on an even basis for the high end FA's that sometimes put a team over the top.[/QUOTE]

I can't argue with that logic. It's how Parcells built us up.

But it effectively concedes next year. You could argue that they should rather than fight an uphill battle and end up with more Bart Scott restructurings biting them in the ass...........

Tough to say. I personally haven't been enthralled with the roster the last two years and personally think that a veteran game manager QB could've gotten the job done in '09 to get us there, but I've been skeptical of Sanchez from the get-go. And to be perfectly honest, he wasn't a terrible rookie other than that stretch of 3-5 INT games during the regular season. His biggest problem is that he still makes those same stupid mistakes.....