Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: obama's "algae" energy speech

All Pro
    [QUOTE=jetswin;4389481]It pains me to say this because I like you as a poster, but you have no idea how offensive you are to some people.[/QUOTE]

+ 1

Lets look at the facts on this issue.

[IMG]http://www.instituteforenergyresearch.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Oil-production-on-private-v-federal-lands-600px.png[/IMG]

Issuances of Federal leases for drilling is down 40% since Obama took the reigns. That is in contrast to private and State leases which are up almost 20%. The current administration has been working to curtail energy exploitation and the numbers back that up. Obama's Energy Secretary admittedly has no car. He is a green energy activist that believes the best was to reduce Americas carbon footprint is through higher carbon energy prices.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=chiefst2000;4389673]Lets look at the facts on this issue.

[IMG]http://www.instituteforenergyresearch.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Oil-production-on-private-v-federal-lands-600px.png[/IMG]

Issuances of Federal leases for drilling is down 40% since Obama took the reigns. That is in contrast to private and State leases which are up almost 20%. The current administration has been working to curtail energy exploitation and the numbers back that up. Obama's Energy Secretary admittedly has no car. He is a green energy activist that believes the best was to reduce Americas carbon footprint is through higher carbon energy prices.[/QUOTE]

Obama is such a fan of the working class. Good thing only the rich folks drive cars and heat their homes.

Jets Insider VIP
    No fracking way, man

President Obama cannot honestly claim credit for the increase in oil and natural gas production over the past few years. This misconstrues the facts and it is an inaccurate portrayal of his administration’s record on energy issues. After all, his administration did not hold a single offshore lease sale in fiscal year 2011, while the Bush administration planned to hold five. Those sales were rejected when the administration decided not to pursue a new 2010–2015 OCS lease plan reflecting the expiration of the presidential and congressional moratoriums on leasing in 2008. Also, President Obama’s Bureau of Land Management is setting records for the least amount of leases on average per year. President Clinton sold over twice the number of leases per year than President Obama.

Yet, Obama just signed off on a a Nuclear reactor to be built. As for the leases didn't the Bush Admin get blasted because they did collect any money that the US was owed?
    We could go around and around.

[QUOTE=chiefst2000;4389753]President Obama cannot honestly claim credit for the increase in oil and natural gas production over the past few years. This misconstrues the facts and it is an inaccurate portrayal of his administration’s record on energy issues. After all, his administration did not hold a single offshore lease sale in fiscal year 2011, while the Bush administration planned to hold five. Those sales were rejected when the administration decided not to pursue a new 2010–2015 OCS lease plan reflecting the expiration of the presidential and congressional moratoriums on leasing in 2008. Also, President Obama’s Bureau of Land Management is setting records for the least amount of leases on average per year. President Clinton sold over twice the number of leases per year than President Obama.[/QUOTE]

All Pro
    [QUOTE=jetswin;4389481]It pains me to say this because I like you as a poster, but you have no idea how offensive you are to some people.[/QUOTE]

Just goes to show love is strange...others have been banned for far, far less without any warning whatsoever.

Those kinds of posts must drive up site traffic sumpin' powerful.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Jungle Shift Jet;4389786]Just goes to show love is strange...others have been banned for far, far less without any warning whatsoever.

Those kinds of posts must drive up site traffic sumpin' powerful.[/QUOTE]

Not sure which banning you are speaking of, as far as site traffic something else I have no knowledge of or interest in. I'm here to enjoy speaking with Jets fans and help keep the place sane, I'm not saying I'm perfect at it.

Plumber is an atheist, his rants against religion and catholicism are offensive to people with those beliefs, of that I have no doubt, however I'm not sure that was ban worthy.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Jungle Shift Jet;4389786]Just goes to show love is strange...others have been banned for far, far less without any warning whatsoever. [/QUOTE]

I'm just not as good at insulting people Dennis Miller/18th Century Scoundrel-style like you :P

I banned myself for those. a 24 hour self-shaming...compounded by re-reading what I posted with a pounding headache and a cup of black coffee asking myself "WTF is wrong with you?"...

And also put an ignition interlock on the computer. I just wish I could unsend the texts I sent that night....

All Pro
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4389816]I'm just not as good at insulting people Dennis Miller/18th Century Scoundrel-style like you :P

I banned myself for those. a 24 hour self-shaming...compounded by re-reading what I posted with a pounding headache and a cup of black coffee asking myself "WTF is wrong with you?"...

And also put an ignition interlock on the computer. I just wish I could unsend the texts I sent that night....[/QUOTE]

Alcohol and the interwebz sooooo do not go together, lol. :(:D:mad::(:confused:

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=brady's a catcher;4389852]Alcohol and the interwebz sooooo do not go together, lol. :(:D:mad::(:confused:[/QUOTE]

They go together fine. It's alcohol and deep, inner anger that don't mix well.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=JetPotato;4389864]They go together fine. It's alcohol and deep, inner anger that don't mix well.[/QUOTE]

Alcohol, the interwebz, deep inner anger and bitter beer face are the most troubling combo though. Bad things man, bad things. ;)

Veteran
    Eric Bolling (Fox Business Channel's Follow the Money) test drove the Chevy Volt at the invitation of General Motors.

For four days in a row, the fully charged battery lasted only 25 miles before the Volt switched to the reserve gasoline engine.

Eric calculated the car got 30 mpg including the 25 miles it ran on the battery. So, the range including the 9 gallon gas tank and the 16 kwh battery is approximately 270 miles. It will take you 4 1/2 hours to drive 270 miles at 60 mph. Then add 10 hours to charge the battery and you have a total trip time of 14.5 hours. In a typical road trip your average speed (including charging time) would be 20 mph.

According to General Motors, the Volt battery hold 16 kwh of electricity. It takes a full 10 hours to charge a drained battery.

The cost for the electricity to charge the Volt is never mentioned so I looked up what I pay for electricity.

I pay approximately (it varies with amount used and the seasons) $1.16 per kwh.

16 kwh x $1.16 per kwh = $18.56 to charge the battery.

$18.56 per charge divided by 25 miles = $0.74 per mile to operate the Volt using the battery.

Compare this to a similar size car with a gasoline engine only that gets 32 mpg.

$3.19 per gallon divided by 32 mpg = $0.10 per mile.

The gasoline powered car cost about $15,000 while the Volt costs $46,000.

So Obama wants us to pay 3 times as much for a car that costs more than 7 times as much to run and takes 3 times as long to drive across country.

REALLY?

All Pro
    [QUOTE=jetswin;4389810]Not sure which banning you are speaking of, as far as site traffic something else I have no knowledge of or interest in. I'm here to enjoy speaking with Jets fans and help keep the place sane, I'm not saying I'm perfect at it.

Plumber is an atheist, his rants against religion and catholicism are offensive to people with those beliefs, of that I have no doubt, however I'm not sure that was ban worthy.[/QUOTE]

"Don't say you don't remember...." :alien: :wiggum: :dunno:

(Not you. It was a chameleon masquerading as an authority figure)

Oh, I'm very tolerant of hearing how I hypocritically lap up Old Scratch's seed after it leaks from my yearning, yawning, gaping, bleeding tuchus onto the divan after assuming a wide stance....the first dozen or so times.

After that...:steamin:

The "new atheists" are encouraged to be militant... :taz:
    Last edited by Jungle Shift Jet; 03-09-2012 at 01:00 PM.

[QUOTE=Jungle Shift Jet;4389874]"Don't say you don't remember...." :alien: :wiggum: :dunno:

(Not you. It was a chameleon masquerading as an authority figure)

Oh, I'm very tolerant of hearing how I hypocritically lap up Old Scratch's seed after it leaks from my yearning, yawning, gaping, bleeding tuchus onto the divan after assuming a wide stance....the first dozen or so times.

After that...:steamin:

The "new atheists" are encouraged to be militant... :taz:[/QUOTE]

Did I...miss something, while I was gone?

On the OP, I support all forms of alternative energy. I do not support subisdies for any of them.

And I support all of them paying the same rates on their taxes, and having the same access to public reseources.

[QUOTE=chiefst2000;4389673]Lets look at the facts on this issue.

Issuances of Federal leases for drilling is down 40% since Obama took the reigns. That is in contrast to private and State leases which are up almost 20%. The current administration has been working to curtail energy exploitation and the numbers back that up. Obama's Energy Secretary admittedly has no car. He is a green energy activist that believes the best was to reduce Americas carbon footprint is through higher carbon energy prices.[/QUOTE]

Lets look at your source a little:

[QUOTE]The Institute for Energy Research (IER), is a Washington, DC-based non-profit that conducts research and analysis on the functions, operations, and government regulation of global energy markets.

[B]IER maintains that freely-functioning energy markets provide the most financially inexpensive solutions to today’s global energy and environmental challenges and, as such, are critical to the financial well-being of individuals and society.[/B] IER was founded in 1989 from a predecessor organization.[1] IER conducts research and analysis on the functions, operations, and government regulation of global energy markets. [B]The group promotes free-market energy solutions.[/B]

IER is a tax-exempt public foundation and is funded entirely by tax deductible contributions from individuals, foundations and corporations. No financial support is sought for or accepted from the government.[1] According to the liberal watchdog group, Media Matters,[2] [B]since 1996, $110,000 of IER's funding has come from the Claude R. Lambe Charitable Foundation, a trust set up by private energy company Koch Industries. IER also received over $300,000 in funding from ExxonMobil, [3], but Exxon has not given to IER since 2007.[[/B]4]

[B]The Institute's CEO, Robert L. Bradley, Jr., was formerly a director of policy analysis at Enron, where he wrote speeches for Kenneth Lay.[/B] Bradley has written books indicting Enron's crony capitalism including "Capitalism at Work"[5] and "Edison to Enron."[6]

In December of 2011, IER released the North American Energy Inventory [7], a compilation of total energy in North America. With the North American Energy Inventory, IER showed that the US could be energy independent if the US federal government were to allow for greater domestic energy exploration and production.

[B]IER is also closely affiliated with the American Energy Alliance[/B].[8]
    [/QUOTE]

Who is the American Energy Alliance you ask?

[QUOTE][B]The American Energy Alliance (AEA) was founded in 2008 by Thomas Pyle, who previously lobbied on behalf of the National Petrochemical and Refiners Association and Koch Industries and who previously worked for Congressman Tom Delay (R-TX), when Delay served as Whip and before Delay, as House Majority Leader, stepped down from the U.S. House of Representatives under an ethical cloud.[/B]

AEA states that its aim is to [B]"create a climate that encourages the advancement of free market energy policies" and in particular ensure drilling for oil is allowed in the Artic National Wildlife refuge and in US coastal waters[/B].[1]
    Funding
    [B]Since 2008, AEA has been established as a 501c4 non profit group, whose focus is lobbying, but it does not disclose who its funders are[/B].[4] AEA's IRS form 990 filings for the year 2008 are not available for review on Guidestar.

AEA's allied organization, the Institute for Energy Research, is also led by Thomas Pyle.[5] IER received $95,000 from ExxonMobil in 2007 and $65,000 the year before, but the organization has said that ExxonMobil is no longer a funder.[6] IER has also received donations from the Brown Foundation, which was started by the founders of the construction and energy company Brown & Root; the Searle Freedom Trust, funded by the late conservative philanthropist Daniel Searle; and the Claude R. Lambe Charitable Foundation, which is run by executives of Koch Industries, a major company in the petroleum refining industry and one of the main funders of Americans for Prosperity.[7] According to NPR, Wayne Gable, who lobbied for Koch Industries along with Pyle, is on the board of both IER and AEA.[8] IER has been active in questioning global warming, suggesting that Al Gore and others are "climate alarmists," and acting as a climate skeptic while defending climate deniers.[9]

[B]AEA shares the same address as IER in Washington, DC.[/B] IER also has an office in Houston, Texas, which is listed as 1415 S. Voss Rd., Suite 110-287, Houston, Texas 77057, Phone: (713) 974-1918, which is the same address as the UPS store for postal boxes.[10]

History
    AEA was incorporated in 2008. It has the same name as a group that was founded in 1993 to defeat a Btu tax;[11] however, the new AEA is a completely distinct corporate entity from the prior AEA, which is apparently defunct. The new and separate organization called "AEA" is not focused on Btu taxes but instead is focused on cap and trade and drilling issues primarily. While the confusion caused by sharing the same name is understandable, the organizations are not the same.

The other, unrelated, AEA was the subject of controversy back in June 1993 after Time magazine reported that the National Manufacturers Association "got together with the American Petroleum Institute, 1,600 large companies, small businesses and farmers to form the American Energy Alliance (AEA), a group designed solely to defeat the BTU tax. The coalition paid more than $1 million to Burson-Marsteller, a public relations firm, to deploy nearly 45 staff members in 23 states during the past two months. Burson's goal was to drum up as much grass-roots outrage about the BTU tax as possible and direct it at the swing Democrats on the Senate Finance Committee..."[12]

Controversy
    In July 2008, the current entity called AEA sponsored radio advertisements in New Mexico, attacking congressman Tom Udall, who is now a U.S Senator, for his opposition to oil drilling. The New Mexico Independent noted that "Information on the group is hard to come by. There are no online Federal Energy Regulatory Commission filings, no Internal Revenue Service filings and no way to contact the group."[13] The group has a new address, however, which is provided below. (AEA also ran ads against Udall's cousin, Mark Udall, who is now a U.S. Senator representing Colorado.)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, im sure this group publishes "the facts":rolleyes:

[QUOTE=kennyo7;4389885]Yeah, im sure this group publishes "the facts":rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

If you took that view on all, and not selectively, you'd never believe a word spoken by the Obama Administration, given who many (most) of them have worked for and represented in the past.

Part of the problem in Politics, of course, too many "inside men" of all stripes in all places, makes it impossible to tell who's really playing for who out there.

What it ends up boiling down to is people believe whatever "side" they already agree with, and downplay, ignore or excuse their histories and previous work as not creating bias, while lambasting those on the "other side" for their pasts, and claiming that that past makes them unable to be unbaised.

Round and round we go....

All Pro
    [QUOTE=cr726;4389774]Yet, Obama just signed off on a a Nuclear reactor to be built. As for the leases didn't the Bush Admin get blasted because they did collect any money that the US was owed?
    We could go around and around.[/QUOTE]

Signed off a year ago for a nuclear reactor in GA that the head of the NRC didnt want because there were no safety guarantees but because Axelrod and other cronies are in the nuclear biz...we know Exelon gave @$250K to
    0 and that's for starters

HTH does that decision affect the price of power? other fuels? The price of gas at the pump?

Going forward I beg of you please add some facts, a link or 2, a scrap of relevance, a point of interest, anything that makes a lick of sense to these jejeune statements. Here, I'll spot you one. The IER says the US alone now has about 1.2T barrels of oil resources recoverable by conventional means. B. Hussein says we have 20B. Who do you think is lying?

[QUOTE=kennyo7;4389885]Lets look at your source a little:

Yeah, im sure this group publishes "the facts":rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

The numbers are what they are. That site came up when I googled for a chart I could use to show the numbers in a legible way. The facts remain what they are as you prove when you don't have the ability to dispute them.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=kennyo7;4389885]Lets look at your source a little:

Yeah, im sure this group publishes "the facts":rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

lol...it's easy to play this game

[QUOTE]
    More than half of Obama’s 47 biggest fundraisers, those who collected at least $500,000 for his campaign, have been given administration jobs. Nine more have been appointed to presidential boards and committees.
    At least 24 Obama bundlers were given posts as foreign ambassadors
    [/QUOTE]

[URL]http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/the-influence-industry-obama-gives-administration-jobs-to-some-big-fundraisers/2012/03/06/gIQA9y3txR_story.html?tid=pm_politics_pop[/URL]