View Poll Results: How many times did you watch NAMATH on HBO?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 - I already know everything about Joe, no desire to watch

2 5.00%

14 35.00%

12 30.00%

8 20.00%
  • 0 - I'm a "Jets fan", but, I don't care about anything before the day I was born

4 10.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many times did you watch NAMATH and what did you learn?

How many times did you watch NAMATH and what did you learn?

How many times did you watch "Namath" on HBO and what did you learn? (if anything)

Also, did what you saw make you think about Sanchez or any other Jets QB's over the years?

In my case, I saw it 2x and learned about how truly dictatorial Dr. James Nicholas was. I credit the evil doc (and his son later on) with PREMATURELY ending the career of Lance Mehl - one of my all-time favorite Jets (his knee injury came about when a Mark Gastineau "vanity" celebration slammed into his Mehl's knee - of course) :mad:

I also learned that the Detroit Lion who ended Namath's 1971 comeback was SPEARING Joe's knee while Joe was already on the ground.

PS - Why didnt the HBO director include the first MNF game? (between the Jets and Browns in 1970)
    Last edited by Schroy48; 02-26-2012 at 01:59 PM.

[QUOTE=Schroy48;4376922]How many times did you watch "Namath" on HBO and what did you learn? (if anything)

Also, did what you saw make you think about Sanchez or any other Jets QB's over the years?

In my case I saw it 2x and learned about how truly dictatorial Dr. James Nicholas was. I credit the evil doc (and his son later on) with PREMATURELY ending the career of Lance Mehl - one of my all-time favorite Jets (his knee injury cause when a Mark Gastineau (vanity) celebration slammed into his Mehl's knee (of course) :mad:

I also learned that the Detroit Lion who ended Namath's 1971 comeback was SPEARING Joe's knee while Joe was already on the ground.

PS - Why didnt the HBO director include the first MNF game was between the Jets and Browns in 1970?[/QUOTE]

I learned he never was 100% healthy in the NFL. Until he hurt his knee in college, he could run like Brad Smith and throw like Dan Marino. What a natural talent.

BTW, I remember the game in '71 when he came back from injury against the 49ers. The 49ers were a very good team, and Namath almost pulled off a great comeback victory!! I still get chills thinking about that afternoon!

Hall Of Fame
    Im not sure if I learned anything. But it did reiterate to me that he was the last legitimate QB the Jets had who was in their prime.

Its a shame he was injured at such a young age at a time when they didnt have the technology to fix him like they are able to today.

[QUOTE=DDNYjets;4376955]Im not sure if I learned anything. But it did reiterate to me that he was the last legitimate QB the Jets had who was in their prime.

Its a shame he was injured at such a young age at a time when they didnt have the technology to fix him like they are able to today.[/QUOTE]

Sanchez has 4 road playoff wins, I'd say he is a legitimate QB soon to enter his prime.

[QUOTE=JetsFanatic;4376959]Sanchez has 4 road playoff wins, I'd say he is a legitimate QB soon to enter his prime.[/QUOTE]

:confused:

:pray:

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=JetsFanatic;4376959]Sanchez has 4 road playoff wins, I'd say he is a legitimate QB soon to enter his prime.[/QUOTE]

:zzz::zzz::zzz:

Veteran
    i watched it 0, but my reasoning was that i can't stand joe namath. i get he's part of the jets history, i'm just tired of hearing about him and listening to him speak.

All Pro
    I learned Namath should have sued Dr.Nicholas for Malpractice.:mad:

I already knew he had the heart of a Lion, playing as virtual cripple in the NFL. Especially from 71-77.

It's amazing how much Namath and Mantle had in common.
    Last edited by 2009fatman; 02-26-2012 at 05:32 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=2009fatman;4377044]I learned Namath should have sued Dr.Nicholas for Malpractice.:mad:[/QUOTE]

You are comparing today's medical knowledge/procedures/technology with those of 40+ years ago.

Dr. Nicholas was the Dr. Andrews of his era. He was one of the best. He was a pioneer in sport's medicine.

Watched it once and enjoyed it, but didn't really learn anything new, having read the book by Mark Kriegel on which it's based. (which I highly recommend)

[QUOTE=20andout;4377057]Watched it once and enjoyed it, but didn't really learn anything new, having read the book by Mark Kriegel on which it's based. (which I highly recommend)[/QUOTE]

I learned that Mark Sanchez is a minor leaguer in comparison.

I learned that I will never see another Jet QB come close to his ability in my lifetime, even though he only played at 50% capacity from Day 1 as a Jet.

I learned that no Jet QB makes the ball go "whoosh" when it leaves his hand, like he did.

I learned that it is a tragedy for any football fan to not have been able to see Namath play at 100%.

I learned that anyone who says he doesn't belong in the Hall of Fame because he only won "one big game and had mediocre stats" is out of their mind...just a phenomenal athlete.

I learned that I will be depressed until the Jets get a QB at his level.

[QUOTE=heymangold;4377018]i watched it 0, but my reasoning was that i can't stand joe namath. i get he's part of the jets history, i'm just tired of hearing about him and listening to him speak.[/QUOTE]

You must be pretty young. And yes, it makes you less of a Jets fan, sorry to say. It's like saying you're a huge Chicago Bulls fan and hate Jordan. Or a huge Broncos fan but hate Elway. Do you not get that?

[QUOTE=Greensleeves;4377084]You must be pretty young. And yes, it makes you less of a Jets fan, sorry to say. It's like saying you're a huge Chicago Bulls fan and hate Jordan. Or a huge Broncos fan but hate Elway. Do you not get that?[/QUOTE]

A youngblood with much to learn....youth...wasted on the young.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4377050]You are comparing today's medical knowledge/procedures/technology with those of 40+ years ago.
    [/QUOTE]

I did take that into consideration.

Dr. Nicholas did nothing medically to help Namath when he injured his L-thigh while waterskiing before the start of the 1970 season. Namath still has that injury to this day, which he showed to the HBO camera's. According to Namath it was the major cause of his immobility and pain, and crippled him more then both his knee injuries.

Dr. Nicholas told Namath "he shouldn't bother having surgery to repair it, NFL QB's don't need to run":rolleyes: To me it was criminal on the part of Nicholas.

His arm was nothing short of amazing. He was a great athlete. He was just never truly healthy while he was in the NFL. His health left him while he was still at Alabama. He likely would have won many more SB's if only he had been healthy when he got to the NFL.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=2009fatman;4377098]I did take that into consideration.

Dr. Nicholas did nothing medically to help Namath when he injured his L-thigh while waterskiing before the start of the 1970 season. Namath still has that injury to this day, which he showed to the HBO camera's. According to Namath it was the major cause of his immobility and pain, and crippled him more then both his knee injuries.

Dr. Nicholas told Namath "he shouldn't bother having surgery to repair it, NFL QB's don't need to run":rolleyes: To me it was criminal on the part of Nicholas.[/QUOTE]

You are entitled to your opinion. I just feel that Dr. Nicholas added years to Joe's career. It is a miracle that he lasted long enough to win a SB.

I watched once.

I learned the Jets haven,t won a Super Bowl in like 100 years.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=FF2;4377112]I watched once.

I learned the Jets haven,t won a Super Bowl in like 100 years.[/QUOTE]

Pats will go on a similar streak as soon as Brady retires. I wonder which team all the "Pats fans" are going to migrate to.

[QUOTE=FF2;4377112]I watched once.

I learned the Jets haven,t won a Super Bowl in like 100 years.[/QUOTE]

I learned from you that Boston is a 4th rate town with the ugliest women in the U.S. that stepped in sh*t when they drafted a soft, doughy looking guy who turned it around along with his evil genius boss and a video camera and parlayed it into 3 asterisk marked SB trophies....but will never win for 100+ years after he's gone.

Just remember, the Jets may struggle, but NY will ALWAYS be #1....but I'll keep reading your posts....they amuse me.

[QUOTE=JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF;4377143]I learned from you that Boston is a 4th rate town with the ugliest women in the U.S. that stepped in sh*t when they drafted a soft, doughy looking guy who turned it around along with his evil genius boss and a video camera and parlayed it into 3 asterisk marked SB trophies....but will never win for 100+ years after he's gone.

Just remember, the Jets may struggle, but NY will ALWAYS be #1....but I'll keep reading your posts....they amuse me.[/QUOTE]

#1 in what? :huh: