View Poll Results: How many times did you watch NAMATH on HBO?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 - I already know everything about Joe, no desire to watch

2 5.00%

14 35.00%

12 30.00%

8 20.00%
  • 0 - I'm a "Jets fan", but, I don't care about anything before the day I was born

4 10.00%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How many times did you watch NAMATH and what did you learn?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=2009fatman;4377098]I did take that into consideration.

Dr. Nicholas did nothing medically to help Namath when he injured his L-thigh while waterskiing before the start of the 1970 season. Namath still has that injury to this day, which he showed to the HBO camera's. According to Namath it was the major cause of his immobility and pain, and crippled him more then both his knee injuries.

Dr. Nicholas told Namath "he shouldn't bother having surgery to repair it, NFL QB's don't need to run":rolleyes: To me it was criminal on the part of Nicholas.[/QUOTE]

Are you seriously saying that you know so little but still insist on blaming a Dr for practicing medicine before the advancements that you are basing this nonsense on?

Dr N did nothing? He gave Namath 5 years when few thought he would last half that.

What was he supposed to do with Namath's severed hammy? Invent surgical procedures that didn't exist? That was the injury that was the real beginning of the end, prevented Namath from getting out of the way of hits like never before and the injuries started to pile up.

Dr Nicholas told Namath that QB's don't need to run jokingly, there was nothing he could do, there was no surgery at that time to repair that time of torn muscle. You read that wrong.

[URL="http://books.google.com/books?id=2LttIGhZtWIC&pg=PA356&lpg=PA356&dq=namath+torn+hamstring&source=bl&ots=muouG61nBn&sig=TonK-nr_CYWXuEmwh8EZM7ZHb5I&hl=en&sa=X&ei=TSNLT8_gAfK30gG3wLWmDg&sqi=2&ved=0CDYQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=namath%20torn%20hamstring&f=false"]http://books.google.com/books?id=2LttIGhZtWIC&pg=PA356&lpg=PA356&dq=namath+torn+hamstring&source=bl&ots=muouG61nBn&sig=TonK-nr_CYWXuEmwh8EZM7ZHb5I&hl=en&sa=X&ei=TSNLT8_gAfK30gG3wLWmDg&sqi=2&ved=0CDYQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=namath%20torn%20hamstring&f=false[/URL]

[QUOTE=JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF;4377288]Thank you.

Those 2 words say it. When you have a cannon like he had and your WR's aren't allowed to even be hand checked must less being TACKLED WITHOUT THE BALL as they were in Namath's era it's not over the edge that he might have threatened 6k yards in a 16 game season....with the guys you're seeing today put up 5k....Namath was the 1st QB to put up 4k in a 14 game season.

Just go back to that HBO footage of him winging it...the "Whoosh" segment.

In part of it they call Vince Lomardi and ask him if Namath was NFL-ready and Lombardi called Namath the "PERFECT QB" - mechanically...imagine if he also had his legs under him.

End of debate.[/QUOTE]

I made my 24 year old son watch it. He bleeds Jets green and wouldn't watch it because Joe spoke the truth this past season. To his credit, he admitted it changed his view. Everyone who wasn't around when he played needs to watch it - then you can text your buddies since you'll have at least a slight idea what he means to the Jets and the NFL as a whole

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Schroy48;4376922]How many times did you watch "Namath" on HBO and what did you learn? (if anything)

Also, did what you saw make you think about Sanchez or any other Jets QB's over the years?

In my case, I saw it 2x and learned about how truly dictatorial Dr. James Nicholas was. I credit the evil doc (and his son later on) with PREMATURELY ending the career of Lance Mehl - one of my all-time favorite Jets (his knee injury came about when a Mark Gastineau "vanity" celebration slammed into his Mehl's knee - of course) :mad:

I also learned that the Detroit Lion who ended Namath's 1971 comeback was SPEARING Joe's knee while Joe was already on the ground.

PS - Why didnt the HBO director include the first MNF game? (between the Jets and Browns in 1970)[/QUOTE]

I learned what a bunch of pussies (small minority) we have here at JI who have the audacity to trash Namath. Like trashing Staubach if you are a young Cowboys fan.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=JetsPrisoner12;4377691]I made my 24 year old son watch it. He bleeds Jets green and wouldn't watch it because Joe spoke the truth this past season. To his credit, he admitted it changed his view. Everyone who wasn't around when he played needs to watch it - then you can text your buddies since you'll have at least a slight idea what he means to the Jets and the NFL as a whole[/QUOTE]

I made BOTH my young adult daughters watch it so they can see why I am the JETS A$$hole I am.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=FF2;4377311]WTF? Mods? :eek:[/QUOTE]

Pu$$y! Go cry to mommy????;)