Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jets news from the Combine- Cimini

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Jets news from the Combine- Cimini

JetsThe latest from the combine
    February, 26, 2012
    Feb 263:52PM By Rich Cimini- A Jets' perspective on some developments at the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis:

1. The wide receivers were timed Sunday and, to me, the most eye-opening performance came from Notre Dame's Michael Floyd, who clocked an impressive 4.47 in the 40. That speed, coupled with his 6-foot-3 frame, makes him attractive in the middle of the first round. The Jets, picking 16th, need a No. 2 WR to play opposite Santonio Holmes. Floyd has some off-the-field concerns, so he will have to be checked out in the coming weeks.

2. Baylor's Kendall Wright (5-10) was regarded as the No. 2 WR in the draft, behind Oklahoma State's Justin Blackmon, but he may have lost that spot to Floyd by running a disappointing 4.61. The general feeling about Wright is he plays a lot faster than he times, but scouts will be looking for a faster time at his Pro Day.

3. Rutgers WR Mohamed Sanu (6-2) produced monster numbers last season as a possession receiver, but he ran only 4.67 -- a pedestrian time. He reportedly showed terrific hands in the gauntlet drill, when receivers are exposed to rapid-fire passes, but that 40 time probably will keep him out of the first round. ESPN draft expert Todd McShay had this to say about Sanu: "I like him, he's physical, he has good hands, but he's way overrated. He can't get open." Maybe he'd be a second-round option for the Jets.

4. South Carolina DE/OLB Melvin Ingram checked in at 6-foot-2, 264 pounds, and that's important to the Jets because ... well, Ingram has dropped 12 pounds since the Senior Bowl. He's showing teams he's willing to make the transition to 3-4 OLB after playing 4-3 DE. The Jets, of course, need a pass-rushing OLB in the worst way. Ingram has been working out with Broncos pass rusher Von Miller, a good guy to emulate. If Ingram lasts until 16, I'd say he's a definite possibility for the Jets.

5. A couple of offensive linemen linked to the Jets turned in impressive performances. Stanford G Dave DeCastro, projected as a mid-first rounder, recorded the best three-cone time (7.3 seconds) since 2008. Ohio State T/G Cordy Glenn came in a shade below 6-foot-6 at 345 pounds and ran an impressive 4.93 in the 40. He played left tackle last season, but some see him at a right tackle in the NFL or maybe even a guard.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome. I like the possibility of #'s 3 and 4 happening.

Sanu would fit here, but I'd still like someone who can stretch the field better.

We may already have a Sanu (playing style) in Turner.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sanu running a 4.67 is a surprise. He plays a lot faster.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    We don't need a #2 WR opposite Santonio Holmes. Holmes is a #2. We need a #1.

Hopefully Floyd can be that for us if we have a chance to grab him.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wasn't crazy about Floyd but I'm turning around. Obviously if Ingram or Upshaw are there at 16, the Jets MUST take one of them. If they're gone, I'd be more than comfortable with Floyd.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetPotato;4377035]We don't need a #2 WR opposite Santonio Holmes. Holmes is a #2. We need a #1.

Hopefully Floyd can be that for us if we have a chance to grab him.[/QUOTE]

^ this guy gets it !!!!!!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Keen on seeing Ingram in Green.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetPotato;4377035]We don't need a #2 WR opposite Santonio Holmes. Holmes is a #2. We need a #1.

Hopefully Floyd can be that for us if we have a chance to grab him.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, some height and speed to stretch the field.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sanu is the poor man's Nicks.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Kentucky Jet;4377012]
    3. Rutgers WR Mohamed Sanu (6-2) produced monster numbers last season as a possession receiver, but he ran only 4.67 -- a pedestrian time. He reportedly showed terrific hands in the gauntlet drill, when receivers are exposed to rapid-fire passes, but that 40 time probably will keep him out of the first round. ESPN draft expert Todd McShay had this to say about Sanu: "I like him, he's physical, he has good hands, but he's way overrated. [B]He can't get open[/B]." [B]Maybe he'd be a second-round option for the Jets[/B].

[/QUOTE]
    Sounds like a brilliant idea. Just what we need. :rolleyes:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Floyd train, Welcome. Going strong since '10

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Paradis;4377185]The Floyd train, Welcome. Going strong since '10[/QUOTE]

Haha. I did think of you when I saw his 40 time. Yep, I'm on board if he's there at 16.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    ^ Of course that's if Ingram, Upshaw, Blackmon & Richardson are gone.
    Last edited by Yankeejet22; 02-26-2012 at 08:33 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Yankeejet22;4377218]^ Of course that's if Ingram, Upshaw, Blackmon & Richardson are gone.[/QUOTE]

Which they will be

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jordy;4377182]Sounds like a brilliant idea. Just what we need. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Well, Sanu did have 115 catches and 1200 yards with some of the worst qb play in college, just think what he could do for Sanchez.

He also doesn't play like a 4.67 guy.
    He could be a nice 2nd round pick IMO.

[URL="http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=US#/watch?v=WE2bWR0uRxg"]http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=US#/watch?v=WE2bWR0uRxg[/URL]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Kentucky Jet;4377012]JetsThe latest from the combine
    February, 26, 2012
    Feb 263:52PM By Rich Cimini- A Jets' perspective on some developments at the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis:

1. The wide receivers were timed Sunday and, to me, the most eye-opening performance came from Notre Dame's Michael Floyd, who clocked an impressive 4.47 in the 40. That speed, coupled with his 6-foot-3 frame, makes him attractive in the middle of the first round. The Jets, picking 16th, need a No. 2 WR to play opposite Santonio Holmes. Floyd has some off-the-field concerns, so he will have to be checked out in the coming weeks.

2. Baylor's Kendall Wright (5-10) was regarded as the No. 2 WR in the draft, behind Oklahoma State's Justin Blackmon, but he may have lost that spot to Floyd by running a disappointing 4.61. The general feeling about Wright is he plays a lot faster than he times, but scouts will be looking for a faster time at his Pro Day.

3. Rutgers WR Mohamed Sanu (6-2) produced monster numbers last season as a possession receiver, but he ran only 4.67 -- a pedestrian time. He reportedly showed terrific hands in the gauntlet drill, when receivers are exposed to rapid-fire passes, but that 40 time probably will keep him out of the first round. ESPN draft expert Todd McShay had this to say about Sanu: "I like him, he's physical, he has good hands, but he's way overrated. He can't get open." Maybe he'd be a second-round option for the Jets.

[B]4. South Carolina DE/OLB Melvin Ingram checked in at 6-foot-2, 264 pounds, and that's important to the Jets because ... well, Ingram has dropped 12 pounds since the Senior Bowl. He's showing teams he's willing to make the transition to 3-4 OLB after playing 4-3 DE. The Jets, of course, need a pass-rushing OLB in the worst way. Ingram has been working out with Broncos pass rusher Von Miller, a good guy to emulate. If Ingram lasts until 16, I'd say he's a definite possibility for the Jets[/B].

5. A couple of offensive linemen linked to the Jets turned in impressive performances. Stanford G Dave DeCastro, projected as a mid-first rounder, recorded the best three-cone time (7.3 seconds) since 2008. Ohio State T/G Cordy Glenn came in a shade below 6-foot-6 at 345 pounds and ran an impressive 4.93 in the 40. He played left tackle last season, but some see him at a right tackle in the NFL or maybe even a guard.[/QUOTE]

I really think this would be the best approach for the team. I've been watching the combine and I'm seeing a lot of very athletic OL. This draft is quite deep in OL.

My feeling is the team can wait until later rounds to grab a RT. Especially when you consider that normally by pick #20 overall, the really good pass rushing linebackers are normally gone.

If the Jets do opt to go after an OL in the 1st round, my choice/wish would be someone like Cordy Glenn. That's a very big kid with freakishly athletic skills. A guy like that would surely make our OL the dominant unit it was not too long ago.

However, with that said, I still believe the Jets need to go after a pass rusher/defense first.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like

two words

LAMAR MILLER .

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=miamijet1;4377281]LAMAR MILLER .[/QUOTE]

One word:

BENJI!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Since watching the combine this weekend, the possible selection of Cordy Glenn has really grown on me. He's a huge frame and is very athletic. Really appears to be what we need up front.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetsFanatic;4377286]Since watching the combine this weekend, the possible selection of Cordy Glenn has really grown on me. He's a huge frame and is very athletic. Really appears to be what we need up front.[/QUOTE]

Is he pegged as a no. 1 ?? I think I would rather select Floyd if he's still around at 16.