Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Jets news from the Combine- Cimini

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm a Notre Dame fan but there are things to be scared about when coming to Floyd... And I don't really think the off-the field concerns are an issue either.

The biggest issue with him is injuries... The constantly gets injured and even when he's not getting injured it seems like he gets up extremely slow after any legitimate impact. Players like that typically don't make out too well in the NFL. Even last year in the bowl game when they needed him most he wasn't playing... Years before that he's missed several games in each one of those years as well.

Same with RG3... The guy is a great personality with amazing talents but concussions will absolutely be an issue for him. I wouldn't even draft him in the 1st.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sourceworx;4377488]Me too. I think our first two picks should be defense. Go pass rusher in the first. Then I'd consider trading up in the second for Mark Barron, depending on what we'd have to give up. If you can't get him then go O-Line with our second pick.[/QUOTE]

why do so many want defense with their first two picks? the nfl has become an offense league. the jets offense blew up last year. the jets are on the verge of blowing up the entire offense after next season, with a new qb, rbs and wrs. maybe sparano can influence things to help out the offense, maybe get them a rb who can catch, or a better RT or something. sure getting defense would be nice, but last year they used their top 3 picks on defense and the year before, they used a #1 on wilson. why would anyone expect this offense to improve if they keep using top picks on defense?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    And Melvin Ingram is definitely the guy I want... The one thing that excites me most is his attitude which was on display at the Senior bowl practices and game. Smart guy who goes about his business wanting to make a serious impact on every play. Those guys succeed.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetsNeedNewton;4377316]Cordy. If we can have a killer OL everyone else gets better, from QB to RB to WR.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I want either Cordy Glenn or Mike Adams. Adams dominated Melvin Ingram and Courtney Upshaw in the Senior Bowl, is big, strong, physical and played very well against top competition. What else do these people want?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetsfan1983;4377499]And Melvin Ingram is definitely the guy I want... The one thing that excites me most is his attitude which was on display at the Senior bowl practices and game. Smart guy who goes about his business wanting to make a serious impact on every play. Those guys succeed.[/QUOTE]

if upshaw and ingram are gone, do the jets consider guys like perry or mercilus, or do they go a safer route with decastro or glenn?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jordy;4377486]Fair enough but I don't recall reports saying he can't get open. That's my main concern.[/QUOTE]

If you read their full draft profiles they sound very similar. Here's some of the ones on Nicks:

[URL="http://walterfootball.com/pro2009hnicks.php"]http://walterfootball.com/pro2009hnicks.php[/URL]
    [QUOTE]
    Weaknesses: Not elusive in the open field and does not maximize YAC ... [B]Does not generate separation with speed[/B] ... Not a deep threat ... Not much upside.
    [/QUOTE]

[URL="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1117392"]http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1117392[/URL]
    [QUOTE]Negatives: [B]Questionable deep speed. May lack the top-end speed to challenge defensive backs over the top, allowing savvy NFL defenders to close off the crossing routes on which Nicks generated much of his success.[/B] One of three legitimate NFL-caliber receivers for the Tar Heels, and capitalized on defenses spread thin.[/QUOTE]

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=augustiniak;4377498]why do so many want defense with their first two picks? the nfl has become an offense league. the jets offense blew up last year. the jets are on the verge of blowing up the entire offense after next season, with a new qb, rbs and wrs. maybe sparano can influence things to help out the offense, maybe get them a rb who can catch, or a better RT or something. sure getting defense would be nice, but last year they used their top 3 picks on defense and the year before, they used a #1 on wilson. why would anyone expect this offense to improve if they keep using top picks on defense?[/QUOTE]

Did you even watch the Super Bowl? Did you see what an excellent pass rush does against even the best QBs? That's why we need to draft defense.

We're going to be a ball control, grind-it-out offense. You don't need elite receivers for that. Hell you don't even need elite RBs for that. If we get a power back like Michael Bush in FA, then we'll be fine there. A guy like Bush paired with Shonn Greene, and McKnight thrown in here and there, and the offense will be fine. The only thing you need to be elite at in this style of offense is your O-Line. And this draft is pretty deep for O-Linemen.

Get the premiere pass rusher first. If the premiere safety is there in the second (which many think he might be) then you take him. If he isn't then go O-Line or maybe receiver.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sourceworx;4377522]Did you even watch the Super Bowl? Did you see what an excellent pass rush does against even the best QBs? That's why we need to draft defense.[/QUOTE]

We absolutely need a pass rush - without it we're at best a 10-6 wildcard team next year and that's IF we improve at RT, WR and Safety. That said FA is the better route to go to get a proven commodity like Mario or Avril. Tanny is making the cap room.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sourceworx;4377522]Did you even watch the Super Bowl? Did you see what an excellent pass rush does against even the best QBs? That's why we need to draft defense.

We're going to be a ball control, grind-it-out offense. You don't need elite receivers for that. Hell you don't even need elite RBs for that. If we get a power back like Michael Bush in FA, then we'll be fine there. A guy like Bush paired with Shonn Greene, and McKnight thrown in here and there, and the offense will be fine. The only thing you need to be elite at in this style of offense is your O-Line. And this draft is pretty deep for O-Linemen.

Get the premiere pass rusher first. If the premiere safety is there in the second (which many think he might be) then you take him. If he isn't then go O-Line or maybe receiver.[/QUOTE]

the top 3 teams for points per game last year were packers, saints and patriots. all 3 made the playoffs. lions and chargers were next, followed by panthers, falcons, eagles, giants and 49ers. there is a strong correlation b/t points and playoffs. i'm all for getting pass rushers and safeties. but i think there are a lot of jet fans who have been led to believe by rex that a very good defense can overcome an average offense, and it can't.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sourceworx;4377522]Did you even watch the Super Bowl? Did you see what an excellent pass rush does against even the best QBs? That's why we need to draft defense.

Get the premiere pass rusher first. If the premiere safety is there in the second (which many think he might be) then you take him. If he isn't then go O-Line or maybe receiver.[/QUOTE]
    I would add in a solid blocking TE with pass catching skills.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=augustiniak;4377502]if upshaw and ingram are gone, do the jets consider guys like perry or mercilus, or do they go a safer route with decastro or glenn?[/QUOTE]

I think they would go with Glenn.

You have to like Glenn an awful lot. The guy ran extremely good times for normal sized people. When you throw in his overwhelming size he becomes really impressive.

Throw in the fact that Sparano loves bigger linemen and Glenn could be the guy regardless of who's available. Also throw in the fact that Glenn looked good at left tackle at the senior bowl and it is even better when you consider the idea of him at RT in the pros.

I have to spend more time watching guys like Branch from Clemson and Jones from Cuse, but I have watched Perry and am a big fan. I have also watched Mercilus and don't think he's going to be a good NFL player... Doesn't show that overwhelming will on enough plays. Always possible that a switch gets turned on, but it's certainly not likely.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jordy;4377529]I would add in a solid blocking TE with pass catching skills.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I think one loss from last offseason that hurt us more than people think was Ben Hartsock. Not a good receiver by any means, but he was a big factor in the running game.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jordy;4377529]I would add in a solid blocking TE with pass catching skills.[/QUOTE]

this is your guy

[img]http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/1108/cfb-preview-all-acc-team/images/george-bryan.jpg[/img]

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=detjetsfan;4377549]this is your guy

[IMG]http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/1108/cfb-preview-all-acc-team/images/george-bryan.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]
    I agree. I'd be all for that.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=augustiniak;4377527]the top 3 teams for points per game last year were packers, saints and patriots. all 3 made the playoffs. lions and chargers were next, followed by panthers, falcons, eagles, giants and 49ers. there is a strong correlation b/t points and playoffs. i'm all for getting pass rushers and safeties. but i think there are a lot of jet fans who have been led to believe by rex that a very good defense can overcome an average offense, and it can't.[/QUOTE]

I like how you conveniently left out the Steelers, Bengals, Texans, and Broncos. All of which made the playoffs off of the strong play of their defense (and running games). :rolleyes:

Oh and BTW the only reason the Giants got to and won the Super Bowl was because their defense got healthy at the right time. They shut down the Falcons, Packers and Pats....three of those high-scoring offenses you listed.

I don't need Rex to tell me that a great defense can overcome an average offense. My eyes have seen it enough times to know it's true.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sourceworx;4377561]I like how you conveniently left out the Steelers, Bengals, Texans, and Broncos. All of which made the playoffs off of the strong play of their defense (and running games). :rolleyes:

Oh and BTW the only reason the Giants got to and won the Super Bowl was because their defense got healthy at the right time. They shut down the Falcons, Packers and Pats....three of those high-scoring offenses you listed.

I don't need Rex to tell me that a great defense can overcome an average offense. My eyes have seen it enough times to know it's true.[/QUOTE]

i just looked at the top scoring teams. didn't look at all playoff teams.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sourceworx;4377522]Did you even watch the Super Bowl? .[/QUOTE]

Ya i did. And one of the two teams [U][B]had the WORST defense in the NFL[/B][/U]. So take your foot off the pedal Earnhardt - our six million 3 and outs were a zillion times more concerning than our pass rush last year.

[QUOTE=jetsfan1983;4377496]The biggest issue with him is injuries... [/QUOTE]

I'm sorry, but no. Statistically speaking, unless you're a RB with knee issues, there's is NO correlation between college injuries and NFL injuries. Different game, different training regiment, different staff.

[QUOTE=crasherino;4377494]What's the down low of Floyd? I always hear about "character concerns" with him. Is it just a DUI or does he have more of a checkered background than that? If its just a DUI, I'm not all that concerned. DUIs are obviously serious business, but a kid making a stupid decision (that he undoubtedly learned from) is different than simply being an overall troublemaker.[/QUOTE]

DUI/alcohol related. Nothing you haven't heard a dozen times before. ...And ALL Mayock (who did all ND's home games) could say was how impressed he was with Floyd's "growing up" this year. He had no problems this year that didn't involve making opposing team's coaches suicidal.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry Paradis but there absolutely is... Certain guys who show tendencies to get injured most often continue in the NFL. Obviously there are exceptions to the rule but I like to play the percentages.

Floyd was a constant injury concern with Notre Dame and I see no reason to believe that won't continue. He may throw up a year here and there where he's completely healthy but I really dont want the headache.

And I'm not even talking about the injuries that kept him out of entire games, I'm talking about the times he gets hurt during games and has to miss important snaps, ala against FSU in the bowl game.

I do love Floyd's game though... If someone would tell me he wasn't going to get injured at the pro level, then I'd absolutely take him. This coming from someone who has seen every snap at Notre dame he's ever played.
    Last edited by jetsfan1983; 02-27-2012 at 11:22 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetsfan1983;4377582]Sorry Paradis but there absolutely is... Certain guys who show tendencies to get injured most often continue in the NFL. Obviously there are exceptions to the rule but I like to play the percentages.

Floyd was a constant injury concern with Notre Dame and I see no reason to believe that won't continue. He may throw up a year here and there where he's completely healthy but I really dont want the headache.[/QUOTE]

No, I'm not being difficult, you're actually wrong. there was a big write up on it. I'm not saying there hasn't been ANY player who's issues have carried over. I'm saying that those who do get drafted, do not statically represent a risk for injury proneness (outside of knee issues).

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=augustiniak;4377527]the top 3 teams for points per game last year were packers, saints and patriots. all 3 made the playoffs. lions and chargers were next, followed by panthers, falcons, eagles, giants and 49ers. there is a strong correlation b/t points and playoffs. i'm all for getting pass rushers and safeties. but i think there are a lot of jet fans who have been led to believe by rex that a very good defense can overcome an average offense, and it can't.[/QUOTE]

"Ground & Pound" + "Great D" = Not enough to win it ALL....I'm convinced of that now......Sanchez makes it happen this year or we're back into another 5 year plan.