Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 Mets optimism

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    on target to make it through this stretch that ends with the pin$triper$ at Citifield still above the 500 mark

which puts them, amazingly, in the hunt for the rest of the season

re the Pin$triper$, hopefully they return the favor that the Mets are providing in St Petersburg with some wins vs the Nats
    We just swept the Braves for you... Stop asking the Yanks to do your job for you...

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been at the Trop for the last 2 Mets wins and will be there again tomorrow. Tons of Mets fans at the games as well. We sat in LF 3 rows up and boy were people giving Bay sh!t. All game long he was getting hammered by numerous Mets fans. He just flat out stinks!

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    I've been at the Trop for the last 2 Mets wins and will be there again tomorrow. Tons of Mets fans at the games as well. We sat in LF 3 rows up and boy were people giving Bay sh!t. All game long he was getting hammered by numerous Mets fans. He just flat out stinks!
    Collins has brass balls to put both him and Ike in the same lineup.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ello lfrom Scotland, fellas...anyone ever been here? Just reading about Dickey's gem last night..Mets are appealing to try to have the game ruled a no hitter???

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker134 View Post
    Mets are appealing to try to have the game ruled a no hitter???
    Thrilled for Dickey, but this is highly ironical considering how Santana got his no-hitter. Just sayin!

-

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dickey was awesome last night. Even Bay got a hit. If you look, Tampa Bay is very susceptible to getting ho-hit.

Just want to thank the Mets for beating the Rays. Hopefully they finish the sweep tonight.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JumbalayaJet View Post
    Collins has brass balls to put both him and Ike in the same lineup.
    Maybe Collins patience with Ike is starting to pay off -- he has hit in 4 straight, including two in each of the last two games.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Thrilled for Dickey, but this is highly ironical considering how Santana got his no-hitter. Just sayin!

-
    Agreed. I don't really have a problem with it (it's a judgement call, not changing a ruling based on a blown umpire call) but it shouldn't be changed. I'm not even sure Wright throws out Upton if he fields it cleanly and he had to one hand it because of Upton's speed.

Regardless Dickey is filthy.

In his last six starts: 58 strikeouts and 4 walks. That is simply insane.

Hellickson has been getting no run support, hopefully Santana keeps that trend going tonight.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Another reason to be optimistic:

Ike Davis is 6 for 10 with 5 RBIs and 4 walks in his last four games. Hopefully he finally turns it around.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mets up 8-4, Santana loads the bases with no outs... And in comes Jon Rauch...

And not only does he not give up a grand slam, he gets all three outs without allowing a run!

Optimism!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    Agreed. I don't really have a problem with it (it's a judgement call, not changing a ruling based on a blown umpire call) but it shouldn't be changed. I'm not even sure Wright throws out Upton if he fields it cleanly and he had to one hand it because of Upton's speed.

Regardless Dickey is filthy.

In his last six starts: 58 strikeouts and 4 walks. That is simply insane.

Hellickson has been getting no run support, hopefully Santana keeps that trend going tonight.
    Even if it were an error, I wouldn't change it:
    http://milkeespress.com/lostninth.html

A no hitter (or perfect game) are just completely different animals when you are pitching knowing you have given up no hits, compared to knowing you gave one up. Between 1961 and 2011, there have been 272 no hitters going into the 9th inning. There have been 136 no hitters between 1961 and 2011. HALF of the no hitters going into the 9th have been broken up. If that doesn't tell you how much pressure there is in the late innings, then I don't know what else could. And that's just the 9th inning. I have to imagine the 7th and 8th innings have quite a bit of pressure as well.

I mean don't get me wrong... It was a terrific performance by Dickey. But we will never know what would have happened if they had ruled that play an error in the 1st inning. You just can't assume that Dickey (or the Rays) would have performed the same way.

For the record, I don't consider Upton's hit "a routine play". But even if I did, I would have a hard time changing it due to the above.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rep View Post
    Even if it were an error, I wouldn't change it:
    http://milkeespress.com/lostninth.html

A no hitter (or perfect game) are just completely different animals when you are pitching knowing you have given up no hits, compared to knowing you gave one up. Between 1961 and 2011, there have been 272 no hitters going into the 9th inning. There have been 136 no hitters between 1961 and 2011. HALF of the no hitters going into the 9th have been broken up. If that doesn't tell you how much pressure there is in the late innings, then I don't know what else could. And that's just the 9th inning. I have to imagine the 7th and 8th innings have quite a bit of pressure as well.

I mean don't get me wrong... It was a terrific performance by Dickey. But we will never know what would have happened if they had ruled that play an error in the 1st inning. You just can't assume that Dickey (or the Rays) would have performed the same way.

For the record, I don't consider Upton's hit "a routine play". But even if I did, I would have a hard time changing it due to the above.
    I don't disagree. Something like that changes the game going forward, and not just for Dickey -- for the hitters and defense as well.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Clean sweep for the Mets over the Rays. Nice to finally see some offense, hopefully they can carry this momentum into the weekend against the Reds.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    brooms for the Rays

bring on the Reds next for some real baseball then back to Interleague with the O's and the $triper$ at Citifield and their DH's on the bench

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    brooms for the Rays

bring on the Reds next for some real baseball then back to Interleague with the O's and the $triper$ at Citifield and their DH's on the bench
    Ello from Edinburgh!! Optimism across the atlantic....Gleneagles golf, and believe it or not sky sports found the Mets game for me....optimism

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Robert Allen Dickey.... ho hum

a one hit shutout of the Orioles through seven

Metsies up 4-0 on, believe it or not...

A GRAND SLAM home run by the Ikeman fast closing in on the Mendoza Line

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Calling it now...RA Dickey gets this weeks SI cover.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fun watching Dickey. He is embarrassing hitters. It is like he is playing a video game.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Fun watching Dickey. He is embarrassing hitters. It is like he is playing a video game.
    This is so awesome........Dickey just struck out his 12th batter, that's 2nd game in a row with 12.... Aaannnnnnnnd there is back to back 1 hitters and 13 strikeouts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Simply AMAZIN!!!! First time in 68 years an NL pitcher has had back to back 1 hitters....the most DOMINANT pitcher in major league baseball!!!!!!!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe he climbed to the top of Kilamanjaro to get some good PEDs.