Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 Mets optimism

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker134 View Post
    Matt Harvey, their 2010 1st round pick, throws 97 & supposedly has developed a wicked slider

Santana is back

Gee had an excellent rookie campaign, should only be better

Niese has some of the filthiest stuff in the NL

Pelfrey...well let's just hope

their new closer, Frankie Francisco, had an excellent year with the Blue Jays, & will hopefully blossom in NY

Wright, Bay, Duda & Ike Davis should be a nasty core four in the middle of the lineup, & Daniel Murphy will hit for a very high average IMO. Tejada has a great glove, & surprised everyone with his bat last year...

Alderson & Collins are good baseball men- I like this young team with a small payroll..will be fun to watch them develop. Anyone with me???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AU5EM...eature=related

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantle & Namath View Post
    Players who rely on their legs as much as guys like Reyes and Crawford and not smart investments long term. So I totally agree with you on that, I think the Mets should of came out early on and said they weren't going to re-sign Reyes and not let the Mets fans who wanted to keep him have their hopes up. The timing of his injuries last season made it tough to trade him. So I don't fault them for that. With that said..I don't see how this is a exciting team. Not yet at least. They have a few arms that aren't too far down the pipeline in Harvey and Wheeler.
    Yup, Ty Cobb, Lou Brock, Maury Wills, Willie Wilson, Tim Raines, kenny lofton, and Ricky Henderson all had short careers.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by adb280z View Post
    They should have gotten a Wheeler type prospect for him during the season. They never had any intention of signing him, they just lied about their interest.
    I disagree.

They got a NY Mets batting champion

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by section314 View Post
    Reyes is a punk, and is everything that is wrong with baseball today. The Marlins will find out what the Mets knew, that the guy is a dog.
    Please site some examples.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've broken this down on a few thread this is actually a better Mets team then the last few years IMO.

Santana - Will be good for at least 16 wins min IMO. I doubt he is a 20 win 200k pitcher still but should have a lot left in the tank.

RADickey - Looks pretty darn good to me. 3.28 ERA and has really got his pitches working.

Gee, Niese, Schwinden, Matt Harvey, and even Jenrry Mejia may be back in the mix at some point. One of these guy will have a 15 win season. Very few teams have that kind of young prospect. All 5 of these guys have good quality to them.

Pelfrey - Dont overlook Pelfry. May not be a one or a two but can fill that 4 or 5th spot just as good as most. 11 wins wouldn't be unheard of IMO.

Call me crazy I like there pitching. Yeah it isn't Philly's lineup but I'd match them against a lot of teams. Santana is a viable #1. Dickey is a Viable #2. They have a lot of prospects that could step up big and a vet to show them the way. The bull pen is pretty good. Jon Rauch, Ramon Ramirez, Bobby Parnell, D.J. Carrasco, and Frank Francisco are all solid pitchers. They should be good for around 80 wins.

1st base is Davis who is getting better and is already really good.
    2nd base you have Murphy who is a solid player.
    SS You have a good player in Tajada and a 5 star prospect in Wilmer Flores who will likely be in the mix. Even if one of these guys ends up a Utility it is a good thing.
    3rd Wright - one of the best
    C - OK not much but who really does?
    LF - Bay - Not worth what your paying but is an OK player.
    CB - Kirk Nieuwenhuis? I'm guessing here CF is really the biggest weakness on this team Kirk is really there best shot at a real player IMO. Andres Torres is not an answer here.
    RF Duca - Hard not to like him as a young player.

Last year the METS struggles with hitting this year there looks to be a LOT of % hitters that can pick up the slack from dropping Reyes. .264 BA last year was top 6 I don't think it goes down all that much. Yes no really big speed guy but a healthy Wright, Duda, and Davis they should show a lot more power. Overall the bats look fine. I'll go so far as to say they are good for 150 HRs with the newer bats. Which will go a long way. Still below average but an improvement non the less.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    I disagree.

They got a NY Mets batting champion
    I'd rather have a top prospect than a batting champion who's no longer on my team.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    I've broken this down on a few thread this is actually a better Mets team then the last few years IMO.

Santana - Will be good for at least 16 wins min IMO. I doubt he is a 20 win 200k pitcher still but should have a lot left in the tank.

RADickey - Looks pretty darn good to me. 3.28 ERA and has really got his pitches working.

Gee, Niese, Schwinden, Matt Harvey, and even Jenrry Mejia may be back in the mix at some point. One of these guy will have a 15 win season. Very few teams have that kind of young prospect. All 5 of these guys have good quality to them.

Pelfrey - Dont overlook Pelfry. May not be a one or a two but can fill that 4 or 5th spot just as good as most. 11 wins wouldn't be unheard of IMO.

Call me crazy I like there pitching. Yeah it isn't Philly's lineup but I'd match them against a lot of teams. Santana is a viable #1. Dickey is a Viable #2. They have a lot of prospects that could step up big and a vet to show them the way. The bull pen is pretty good. Jon Rauch, Ramon Ramirez, Bobby Parnell, D.J. Carrasco, and Frank Francisco are all solid pitchers. They should be good for around 80 wins.

1st base is Davis who is getting better and is already really good.
    2nd base you have Murphy who is a solid player.
    SS You have a good player in Tajada and a 5 star prospect in Wilmer Flores who will likely be in the mix. Even if one of these guys ends up a Utility it is a good thing.
    3rd Wright - one of the best
    C - OK not much but who really does?
    LF - Bay - Not worth what your paying but is an OK player.
    CB - Kirk Nieuwenhuis? I'm guessing here CF is really the biggest weakness on this team Kirk is really there best shot at a real player IMO. Andres Torres is not an answer here.
    RF Duca - Hard not to like him as a young player.

Last year the METS struggles with hitting this year there looks to be a LOT of % hitters that can pick up the slack from dropping Reyes. .264 BA last year was top 6 I don't think it goes down all that much. Yes no really big speed guy but a healthy Wright, Duda, and Davis they should show a lot more power. Overall the bats look fine. I'll go so far as to say they are good for 150 HRs with the newer bats. Which will go a long way. Still below average but an improvement non the less.
    I hope you are correct.

But it sounds like a lot of pie in the sky best case scenario stuff to me.

Santana had shoulder surgery. Most guys never come back from that.

Murphy tore up his knee, prior to the injury he ran like he was carrying a piano on his backÖ now you expect him to play 2B

Reyes was the NL batting champion and scored 100 runs and Beltran drove in 66 RBIís for the METS before he was traded. Duda and Ike have their work cut out for them to pick up that slack.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think the Mets will be better than people think. They should be fairly competitive from night to night, but I think they are not at a level where they go on a 10 out of 11 stretch on a regular basis.

I think you will see sort of what you had last year, win a few, lose a few. End around .500.

The goal this season should be to find out what you have with guys like Ike Davis, Duda, Gee. Trade anyone who won't be here in two or three seasons. Develop those young arms and hope Wheeler is the real deal.

The key to how good this season can be for the Mets really relies on what they can get for Santana. They need Santana to bounce back and they need three or four teams to bid against each other for him.

What would be perfect for the Mets is for the Angels and Texas to be in a dog fight, because I think the Angels would be a great trade partner for the Mets, and I think they would overpay for Santana if he stays healthy and has a sub 3 era.

Mike Trout anyone?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by piney View Post

Mike Trout anyone?
    In your dreams.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantle & Namath View Post
    In your dreams.
    1. it was a joke

2. not my dreams, I'm a Yankee fan

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker134 View Post
    Meyer just opened another Blue Smoke in the Goldman Sachs building as well.
    If you dig bourbon, try their house bourbon. Its made for them by Van Winkle. I believe is an 18yr single barrel.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lucas Duda is being compared to a young Jason Giambi...It's abit early for that, but he is hitting moonshots in bp, and can take the outside pitch the other way....hope springs eternal.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mets? Optimism?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    All of the Mets starters outside of Pelfrey have been great so far this spring-

Santana was masterful vs the Cardinals for 6 innings on Wednesday...

D Wright will be ready for opening day

The Madoff mess is behind the Wilpons...they survived it.

things are looking up

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pelfrey is hideous. Very overrated by Mets fans his entire career. Trade him now before he loses all his value.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Pelfrey is hideous. Very overrated by Mets fans his entire career. Trade him now before he loses all his value.
    What value?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    What value?
    Agreed, unfort.....but Dickey, Niese, Gee, Harvey and Santana all look fine. The problem is the division they're in, and the lack if depth. I'm still taking my kids to the games though, and hopefully the Picard settlement will allow them to pick up a needed player or two if they're somehow in the wildcard race.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe I am just an avid Mets fan but I get the feeling this team will be a pleasant surprise this year. Surprisingly good.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetssjumets View Post
    Maybe I am just an avid Mets fan but I get the feeling this team will be a pleasant surprise this year. Surprisingly good.
    define "pleasant surprise"

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Be honest here, the Mets are most likely going to be in last place.