Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 Mets optimism

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by k.Rhodes25 View Post
    Be honest here, the Mets are most likely going to be in last place.
    duh.

The thread is for optimism though. We want some things to look forward to.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    5 innings and 2 earned runs for Santana. David Wright is back and went 1 for 2 with an rbi and some excellent plays in the field. Def a good day for the Amazin's

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker134 View Post
    5 innings and 2 earned runs for Santana. David Wright is back and went 1 for 2 with an rbi and some excellent plays in the field. Def a good day for the Amazin's
    Santana is back. What helps him is he doesn't rely on overpowering stuff. Finesse pitchers almost always cope better with serious injuries.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    the mets are in a tough division and may end up last even if they win a decent amount of games...which i think they will.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Patience is a rare commodity among fans of big-market teams, but we Mets fans need an I.V. of the stuff while this franchise slowly recovers. I do like what I see in the "kids" like Tejada and Duda, but let's see how they do now that the league has had a good look at them.

Pitching-wise, it would be too much to expect Santana to turn back the clock, but I've already seen him in Spring Training games slicing the corners and changing speeds like a master. As to Niese, it's all about consistency. He can dazzle one start and then get blown up the next. He has more good/superior starts than crappy ones, though, so I'm hoping he's still a work in progress on that score. The bullpen - I honestly don't know. Even in better days, Mets closers would scare the crap out of me, so what should I expect now?

But back to my opening sentence: Now that the front office seems to be in capable hands, it will be like turning around an ocean liner to get this franchise back on course. I'm old enough to have seen all this before, so the only question I have is "when", not "if."

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Mess are looking amazing in Spring Training. I can't see them winning any less than 60 games.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rep View Post
    The Mess are looking amazing in Spring Training. I can't see them winning any less than 60 games.
    Dont care if they win ZERO. Root for my teams win or lose

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pelfrey's first strong outing of the spring- 6 1/3 innings, giving up 1 run on 3 hits...Add in D Wrights grand slam and we have an encouraging day from the Amazins!!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pelfrey's first strong outing of the spring- 6 1/3 innings, giving up 1 run on 3 hits...Add in D Wrights grand slam and we have an encouraging day from the Amazins!!
    Got tix for opening day yesterday. Makes my total six

Looking forward. Like last season team will give 100 % plus for Collins.

Let the frontrunners have their 400 million payroll

GO METS

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Post Thanks / Like
    http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/met...iefing-3-29-12

Perhaps I am old school but shouldn't our GM try to show a little 'Optimism', too?

Appearing on WFAN, Sandy Alderson called what has transpired in spring training a "mixed bag." On the positive side, the GM identified the $162 million settlement in the Bernard Madoff lawsuit and the $240 million infusion from minority investment blocks as positives because those allow for more planning clarity. Johan Santana's health also has been a plus. Alderson expressed disappointment with the team's 6-16-2 Grapefruit League record because it is "some indicator" -- albeit modestly -- of in-season success. Alderson added: "I'm not entirely comfortable with our depth. As part of that, I'm not entirely comfortable with our bench."

On Jason Bay, Alderson noted Bay is the left fielder and will play, but added: "I don't think he has driven the ball. From our standpoint, he has had good approaches at the plate."

On Pelfrey, the GM noted, all of his spring training ERAs historically have been poor. "This one isn't even his worst," Alderson added. "The good thing is, last time out his velocity was up. So in some sense we look at Pelfrey and say -- look, this is the analysis we did last fall, when we had to tender him a contract: What does he bring to the table? We're not sure from a qualitative standpoint what he's going to bring this year, but we do know that he pitches through injury, he'll pitch through pain and probably give you 200 innings. What is that worth? ... He probably would be one of five in most rotations."

Alderson acknowledged middle infielder Jordany Valdespin -- who has been dabbling in center field -- is unlikely to make the Opening Day roster, which is consistent with what has been expected. The GM expects Valdespin will play "a number of positions" at Triple-A Buffalo, including limited center-field duty, a position where Kirk Nieuwenhuis should get the bulk of the starts for the Bisons.

Alderson said center field prospect Matt den Dekker is ready defensively to be a major league outfielder, but not offensively. The Mets would be comfortable with Nieuwenhuis starting at the major league level if Andres Torres (calf) and/or Scott Hairston (oblique) weren't ready.

As for catching, Alderson said Mike Nickeas has improved offensively.

The GM said 200 innings is "probably not" a realistic expectation for Santana. Alderson noted that it's unrealistic for Santana to throw 110 or 115 pitches in a game in April either, since the southpaw has topped out at 88 pitches in spring action, in his final Grapefruit League start.

Alderson expressed disappointment with the spring-training showings of his bullpen imports: Frank Francisco, Jon Rauch and Ramon Ramirez. The GM said the bullpen needs a stopper, and "nobody that we've brought in has really shown that this spring. Now, that doesn't mean it won't happen."

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Of course they will finish last. But Alderson is pariently building a better outcome for the future the right way internally with draft choices and prospects.

If you have no patience go root for the Moneybag$

LETS GO METS

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Of course they will finish last. But Alderson is pariently building a better outcome for the future the right way internally with draft choices and prospects.

LETS GO METS

Jose Reyes was a NY Mets draft choice.

Explain to me how that adds up in your analysis?

Is it Possible Alderson was just hired to cut the payroll?

And this "building a better future" stuff is just lip service?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post

LETS GO METS

Bad teams always talk about patience and growth through the draft.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by adb280z View Post
    Bad teams always talk about patience and growth through the draft.
    As well they should. While this franchise hasn't had much to point to in terms of successful regimes, the 2 eras that it did happen - late 1960s and mid 1980s - were made possible through smart draft picks supplemented by judicious trades or free agent signings. Strawberry, Gooden, Dykstra, Backman, Wilson, and McDowell were all products of the Mets farm in the late 70s/early 80s, and in the 60s, Seaver, Koosman, Gentry, Ryan, Harrelson, and Jones were similarly developed in-house. A lot of people reflexively think the Yankees from 1996-present were the usual product of profligate free-agent spending. But none of those 5 championships in that span would have happened without the home grown core of Jeter, Williams, Posada, Pettite, and Rivera. And if Steinbrenner hadn't been banned by MLB for a stretch in the 90s - just when the Yanks were grooming these future stars - I submit he would have traded one or more of them away, as per his usual M.O.

If you're not talking patience through the draft, you're dooming your franchise to perpetual mediocrity.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    Jose Reyes was a NY Mets draft choice.

Explain to me how that adds up in your analysis?
    Is it Possible Alderson was just hired to cut the payroll?

And this "building a better future" stuff is just lip service?
    This is a thread related to being optimistic about Alderson/Collins/the Madoff outcome and their exciting young players. Why don't you kill yourself.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by parkwayjet1 View Post
    As well they should. While this franchise hasn't had much to point to in terms of successful regimes, the 2 eras that it did happen - late 1960s and mid 1980s - were made possible through smart draft picks supplemented by judicious trades or free agent signings. Strawberry, Gooden, Dykstra, Backman, Wilson, and McDowell were all products of the Mets farm in the late 70s/early 80s, and in the 60s, Seaver, Koosman, Gentry, Ryan, Harrelson, and Jones were similarly developed in-house. A lot of people reflexively think the Yankees from 1996-present were the usual product of profligate free-agent spending. But none of those 5 championships in that span would have happened without the home grown core of Jeter, Williams, Posada, Pettite, and Rivera. And if Steinbrenner hadn't been banned by MLB for a stretch in the 90s - just when the Yanks were grooming these future stars - I submit he would have traded one or more of them away, as per his usual M.O.

If you're not talking patience through the draft, you're dooming your franchise to perpetual mediocrity.
    I was with the organization up until they decided the "build the team with homegrown talent" BS did not apply to Jose Reyes.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is a thread related to being optimistic about Alderson/Collins/the Madoff outcome and their exciting young players. Why don't you kill yourself.
    Very nice

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    If this is how you address fellow Met fans exhibiting a different view point regarding the teams future, its no wonder you cant be civil to Yankee fans.

Please seek spiritual guidance from Ernie, the Patron saint of Yankee hating irrational Mets homers, brother Tucker.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    I was with the organization up until they decided the "build the team with homegrown talent" BS did not apply to Jose Reyes.
    I could have dealt with losing Reyes if they had at least gotten a top prospect for him, or maybe have made an honest effort to keep him.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by adb280z View Post
    I could have dealt with losing Reyes if they had at least gotten a top prospect for him, or maybe have made an honest effort to keep him.
    You dont think he will be warming the bench within a month with a hammy, groin, oblique pull, etc.?

I wouldnt look back for two seconds on that guy.

-