Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 285

Thread: 2012 Mets optimism

  1. #1

    2012 Mets optimism

    Matt Harvey, their 2010 1st round pick, throws 97 & supposedly has developed a wicked slider

    Santana is back

    Gee had an excellent rookie campaign, should only be better

    Niese has some of the filthiest stuff in the NL

    Pelfrey...well let's just hope

    their new closer, Frankie Francisco, had an excellent year with the Blue Jays, & will hopefully blossom in NY

    Wright, Bay, Duda & Ike Davis should be a nasty core four in the middle of the lineup, & Daniel Murphy will hit for a very high average IMO. Tejada has a great glove, & surprised everyone with his bat last year...

    Alderson & Collins are good baseball men- I like this young team with a small payroll..will be fun to watch them develop. Anyone with me???

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker134 View Post
    Matt Harvey, their 2010 1st round pick, throws 97 & supposedly has developed a wicked slider

    Santana is back

    Gee had an excellent rookie campaign, should only be better

    Niese has some of the filthiest stuff in the NL

    Pelfrey...well let's just hope

    their new closer, Frankie Francisco, had an excellent year with the Blue Jays, & will hopefully blossom in NY

    Wright, Bay, Duda & Ike Davis should be a nasty core four in the middle of the lineup, & Daniel Murphy will hit for a very high average IMO. Tejada has a great glove, & surprised everyone with his bat last year...

    Alderson & Collins are good baseball men- I like this young team with a small payroll..will be fun to watch them develop. Anyone with me???
    I hope they lose every game (and I'm a Met fan)...just sad that the egos on these bastards relegates a NY franchise to be treated like a team Ohio. I thought it great that that Hedge Fund manager Einhorn had a chance to take over the team, but now that's out.

    Stuck with these Wilpons too long.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF View Post
    I hope they lose every game (and I'm a Met fan)...just sad that the egos on these bastards relegates a NY franchise to be treated like a team Ohio. I thought it great that that Hedge Fund manager Einhorn had a chance to take over the team, but now that's out.

    Stuck with these Wilpons too long.
    I don't think Reyes was worth 100mm plus...as much as I loved him, it wasn't smart money IMO. Hopefully the Madoff BS will be in their rearview before too long and they can move forward. This is a young, exciting team.

  4. #4
    as long as they do what it takes to take the next step once the foundation is there...santana is a ticking time bomb...we need wheeler or harvey to be that ace we need them to be.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker134 View Post
    I don't think Reyes was worth 100mm plus...as much as I loved him, it wasn't smart money IMO. Hopefully the Madoff BS will be in their rearview before too long and they can move forward. This is a young, exciting team.
    Players who rely on their legs as much as guys like Reyes and Crawford and not smart investments long term. So I totally agree with you on that, I think the Mets should of came out early on and said they weren't going to re-sign Reyes and not let the Mets fans who wanted to keep him have their hopes up. The timing of his injuries last season made it tough to trade him. So I don't fault them for that. With that said..I don't see how this is a exciting team. Not yet at least. They have a few arms that aren't too far down the pipeline in Harvey and Wheeler.

  6. #6
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Jerseystrong
    Posts
    18,953
    Gotta love the optimism I guess.

    Baseball is dead to me personally.

  7. #7
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Parsippany, NJ
    Posts
    3,697
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker134 View Post
    I don't think Reyes was worth 100mm plus...as much as I loved him, it wasn't smart money IMO. Hopefully the Madoff BS will be in their rearview before too long and they can move forward. This is a young, exciting team.
    They should have gotten a Wheeler type prospect for him during the season. They never had any intention of signing him, they just lied about their interest.

  8. #8
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Parsippany, NJ
    Posts
    3,697
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker134 View Post
    Matt Harvey, their 2010 1st round pick, throws 97 & supposedly has developed a wicked slider

    Santana is back

    Gee had an excellent rookie campaign, should only be better

    Niese has some of the filthiest stuff in the NL

    Pelfrey...well let's just hope

    their new closer, Frankie Francisco, had an excellent year with the Blue Jays, & will hopefully blossom in NY

    Wright, Bay, Duda & Ike Davis should be a nasty core four in the middle of the lineup, & Daniel Murphy will hit for a very high average IMO. Tejada has a great glove, & surprised everyone with his bat last year...

    Alderson & Collins are good baseball men- I like this young team with a small payroll..will be fun to watch them develop. Anyone with me???
    I'll believe Santana is back when I really see it.

    Gee is average

    Niese has good stuff but has never really put it together over any length of time

    Pelfrey sucks

    Frank Francisco has never had an excellent season and is merely an avg closer if that. A relief pitcher with a career ERA of 3.72 is nothing special.

    It would be great if Wright came back. I have no faith at all in Bay and would be happy if he hit .250 with 20 HRs. I like Davis and Duda. Murphy could be good if he can actually play 2b, hasn't been able to do that though.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker134 View Post
    I don't think Reyes was worth 100mm plus...as much as I loved him, it wasn't smart money IMO. Hopefully the Madoff BS will be in their rearview before too long and they can move forward. This is a young, exciting team.
    Reyes is a punk, and is everything that is wrong with baseball today. The Marlins will find out what the Mets knew, that the guy is a dog.

  10. #10
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Parsippany, NJ
    Posts
    3,697
    Quote Originally Posted by section314 View Post
    Reyes is a punk, and is everything that is wrong with baseball today. The Marlins will find out what the Mets knew, that the guy is a dog.
    Nothing wrong with Reyes other than his hamstrings. If you have a problem with Reyes, how do you watch sports at all? There are tons of guys worse than him in terms of attitude and behavior on the field.

  11. #11
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    13,566
    I'll be watching closely to see if Brad Holt gets a well-deserved callup. I'll be in attendance for every one of his home starts.

    BRAD HOLT!!!!!!!!!

  12. #12
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Upper East Side
    Posts
    6,845
    Ryan Zimmerman just signed a $100 million dollar deal over six years.

    We might as well trade Wright for prospects now.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker134 View Post
    Matt Harvey, their 2010 1st round pick, throws 97 & supposedly has developed a wicked slider

    Santana is back

    Gee had an excellent rookie campaign, should only be better

    Niese has some of the filthiest stuff in the NL

    Pelfrey...well let's just hope

    their new closer, Frankie Francisco, had an excellent year with the Blue Jays, & will hopefully blossom in NY

    Wright, Bay, Duda & Ike Davis should be a nasty core four in the middle of the lineup, & Daniel Murphy will hit for a very high average IMO. Tejada has a great glove, & surprised everyone with his bat last year...

    Alderson & Collins are good baseball men- I like this young team with a small payroll..will be fun to watch them develop. Anyone with me???
    Santana - has to come back and be Santana. I'm talking 17-20 wins, around 200Ks and ERA in the low to mid 3s.

    Gee - should be fine.

    Niese - should be fine.

    Pelfrey - is looking like a dud. Mets need to trade him for something like a year ago.

    Francisco - should be fine.

    Wright - keep hearing rumors he wants to be traded?

    Bay - a total, unmitigated disaster. If the Mets get 20 hrs and 80 rbis this season they'd be extremely lucky plus he's horrible defensively.

    Duda & Davis - like both of them. Probably the two best things Mets have going for them along with some young pitching.

  14. #14
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    13,566
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Santana - has to come back and be Santana. I'm talking 17-20 wins, around 200Ks and ERA in the low to mid 3s.
    I think you're going to have to temper your expectations on Santana.

    To ask him for 20 wins and 200Ks is absurd. First, you should be hoping he even makes 20 starts. And even if he were able to pitch a full season (which we know he won't), do you really expect 20 wins from a guy on a team that will lose at least 90 games?

    Best case scenario for the Mets is that Santana comes back strong and they are able to trade him to a contender for some young prospects.

    Optimism is great. But you need to mix in some realism. The best parts of the 2012 Mets will be the development of existing young players and the acquisition of new ones.

    And the Shake Shack lines should be a lot shorter.

  15. #15
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Miami, Florida
    Posts
    3,166
    Franchise is a joke, I cant stand what they've become. It's embarrassing to act like a small market team in NY. This whole sham has actually killed my interest in baseball altogether

  16. #16
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    13,566
    Quote Originally Posted by Icer View Post
    Franchise is a joke, I cant stand what they've become. It's embarrassing to act like a small market team in NY. This whole sham has actually killed my interest in baseball altogether
    Don't give up on the sport,man. Its still great. And the Mets will bounce back eventually.

  17. #17
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,386
    Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    I think you're going to have to temper your expectations on Santana.

    To ask him for 20 wins and 200Ks is absurd. First, you should be hoping he even makes 20 starts. And even if he were able to pitch a full season (which we know he won't), do you really expect 20 wins from a guy on a team that will lose at least 90 games?

    Best case scenario for the Mets is that Santana comes back strong and they are able to trade him to a contender for some young prospects.

    Optimism is great. But you need to mix in some realism. The best parts of the 2012 Mets will be the development of existing young players and the acquisition of new ones.

    And the Shake Shack lines should be a lot shorter.
    Haha....that was honestly #2 or #3 on my list of things I thought about when contemplating going to games this year. I've never actually had Shake Shack at Citi Field because the line is simply too damn long (and Blue Smoke is delicious as well). Perhaps this will be the year I can get there. It simply doesn't make sense to wait 2.5 innings for a burger no matter how good it is....

  18. #18
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    16,443
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    Ryan Zimmerman just signed a $100 million dollar deal over six years.

    We might as well trade Wright for prospects now.
    He will eventually be traded. Most likely this off season. Mets are not paying him 100 plus mil.

  19. #19
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    13,566
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Haha....that was honestly #2 or #3 on my list of things I thought about when contemplating going to games this year. I've never actually had Shake Shack at Citi Field because the line is simply too damn long (and Blue Smoke is delicious as well). Perhaps this will be the year I can get there. It simply doesn't make sense to wait 2.5 innings for a burger no matter how good it is....
    Go to the real Blue Smoke in Manhattan - much better than the limited menu stuff they can churn out at a baseball stadium.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    Go to the real Blue Smoke in Manhattan - much better than the limited menu stuff they can churn out at a baseball stadium.
    Meyer just opened another Blue Smoke in the Goldman Sachs building as well.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us