Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 Mets optimism

All Pro
    58 strikeouts and 5 walks in his last 5 starts. Insantiy.

He'll start the All Star Game for the NL.

Veteran
    I'm enjoying the Mets this season again. They seem to have problems against power line ups like the skanks and reds but they're keeping there heads above water. They're missing a power bat in there lineup and Ike has been in a slump until recently. I hope they payback the skanks this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by JETFAN1 View Post
    I'm enjoying the Mets this season again. They seem to have problems against power line ups like the skanks and reds but they're keeping there heads above water. They're missing a power bat in there lineup and Ike has been in a slump until recently. I hope they payback the skanks this weekend.
    A power bat in left would be ideal (what they were hoping for from Jason Bay). Duda in right, Captain Kirk in center, and another good bat in left is a nice outfield if Ike is coming around as well.

Id agree with your assessment. Theyre a lot of fun to watch, maybe a bit overmatched at the moment against the top teams, but they are hanging in there. R.A. Dickey is the man. A new contract for him is key.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn Jet View Post
    A power bat in left would be ideal (what they were hoping for from Jason Bay). Duda in right, Captain Kirk in center, and another good bat in left is a nice outfield if Ike is coming around as well.

Id agree with your assessment. Theyre a lot of fun to watch, maybe a bit overmatched at the moment against the top teams, but they are hanging in there. R.A. Dickey is the man. A new contract for him is key.
    Ahhh Bay, his futility has killed the Mets in the power category. I hope he is back quickly and gets on a roll so he can salvage his last year 1/2 of his contact...

Santana/Dickey....back to back shutouts for the second time this month. The Amazins lead the NL with 8 overall.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    58 strikeouts and 5 walks in his last 5 starts. Insantiy.

He'll start the All Star Game for the NL.

While I'd love to see it, I have a feeling he'll be aced out of it. Doesn't the Cards manager, Matheny, have the All-Star managing spot this year? His guy Lynn (sp.?) is having a terrific first half, too, and I'll bet Matheny will go with his guy as the starter for that game. maybe it's favoritism, politics, or whatever, but that's how these things work.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by parkwayjet1 View Post
    [/B]

While I'd love to see it, I have a feeling he'll be aced out of it. Doesn't the Cards manager, Matheny, have the All-Star managing spot this year? His guy Lynn (sp.?) is having a terrific first half, too, and I'll bet Matheny will go with his guy as the starter for that game. maybe it's favoritism, politics, or whatever, but that's how these things work.
    I guess you're probably right, but they only guy you could make a legitimate argument should be starting over Dickey for the NL right now is Matt Cain -- nobody else has numbers close to theirs.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by parkwayjet1 View Post
    [/B]

My guess is that Matheny goes with Dickey, even though his own guy is having a great year. Dickey's story is just so compelling and the fact that he's a 37 yr old vet has to weigh in for something against Lynn being a rookie. He still needs to pay his dues. As long as Dickey doesn't crash back down to earth in his next 2 starts.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    My guess is that Matheny goes with Dickey, even though his own guy is having a great year. Dickey's story is just so compelling and the fact that he's a 37 yr old vet has to weigh in for something against Lynn being a rookie. He still needs to pay his dues. As long as Dickey doesn't crash back down to earth in his next 2 starts.
    LaRussa is the NL manager

Mets winning 4-0, Gee has a ONE HITTER going through 6......this season has been a whirlwind..but Aton of fun.

All Pro
    Gee was great -- gave up the two run homerun in the 8th, but overall pitched a fantastic game.

Our bullpen scares the crap out of me though. Francisco almost blew it and he's probably one of the most reliable relievers we have.

Jets Insider VIP
    A W is a W

Hopefully at least two more this weekend vs the Moneybag$ in a park where Russell Martin, Jeter and Gayrod pop flies don't barely clear the second baseman's head for cheap homers

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

Hall Of Fame
    If the homers (emphasis on homer) are so cheap, why don't the Mets hit them?

A lot of pride riding on that Dickey game Sunday.

Jets Insider VIP
    This bullpen is atrocious, but our starting pitching is simply unreal right now.

2 out of 3 please.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    If the homers (emphasis on homer) are so cheap, why don't the Mets hit them?
    They are on a tight budget

by the way, RA Dickey's book, "Wherever I Wind Up", is a must-read for Mets fans....& really for any baseball fan. The book was released before the season, which makes it an even more interesting read now. His story is amazing- very inspirational...14 years in the minor leagues, & came from a very very difficult upbringing in Tennessee

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    This bullpen is atrocious, but our starting pitching is simply unreal right now.

2 out of 3 please.
    Niese has to start to get some wins. I know he hasn't had good run support but he has the stuff to be a good pitcher in this league.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Dierking View Post
    LaRussa is the NL manager
    Didn't LaRussa retire after last season?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by MnJetFan View Post
    Didn't LaRussa retire after last season?
    He did, but is still coaching it.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    Gee was great -- gave up the two run homerun in the 8th, but overall pitched a fantastic game.

Our bullpen scares the crap out of me though. Francisco almost blew it and he's probably one of the most reliable relievers we have.
    I'm not sure what it is with Francisco. He'll paint the corner with two devastating fastballs in a row and then be unable to finish off a guy. And it seems that when guys get their bats on his pitches, they find a way through the infield.