Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 Mets optimism

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    If this is how you address fellow Met fans exhibiting a different view point regarding the teams future, its no wonder you cant be civil to Yankee fans.

Please seek spiritual guidance from Ernie, the Patron saint of Yankee hating irrational Mets homers, brother Tucker.

I am no Saint, Brother Green. Just providing an honest point of view and helping others think of ideas they may not have thought of themselves. I do not perform miracles, I do not help the lame walk, I am not a Saint.

But good thoughts to you.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    If this is how you address fellow Met fans exhibiting a different view point regarding the teams future, its no wonder you cant be civil to Yankee fans.

Please seek spiritual guidance from Ernie, the Patron saint of Yankee hating irrational Mets homers, brother Tucker.

Dude, they're the same person. Don't you get it? Tuckernie is bipolar.

Tucker is the Mr. Hyde to Ernie's Dr. Jekyll.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/met...iefing-3-29-12

Perhaps I am old school but shouldn't our GM try to show a little 'Optimism', too?
    Alderson's always been a bit of a realist, he's not the type that is going to throw false praise on people, he's more or less a straight shooter. That's a good quality for building a team, because you're not getting caught up in your own BS, maybe not the best approach for PR.

But still, I think you're reaching a bit, what did he say that was so inflammatory, that he wasn't quite happy with the bench? Our bench does kind of suck.

My take on the Mets is their MLB roster has quite a bit of talent, you're getting Johan Santana and Ike Davis back, maybe a full season out of Wright, Murphy, Duda, Tejada. The bullpen has been seemingly addressed. If things break right, they have a chance to be more then decent.

The problem is, we have no plan B. We have maybe one piece of Major League ready (Quality) depth in Kirk Nieuwenhuis. We should pick some up as the year goes on when Jenrry Mejia comes back from Injury, as Matt Harvey and Jeurys Familia and Jordany Valdespin develop, ect. But that won't be for a while. Health is absolutely critical for this team, and that hasn't broken our way since about 2008.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    Very nice
    I apologize for that...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker134 View Post
    I apologize for that...
    See? Deep down inside, Ernie is still in there.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    I try to show a good example. Good thoughts to you.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    You on the other hand, can take your sissy Yankee loving antics to another thread....why not start one about how Nova worries you...or Joba, or Pettitte, the ex juicer....Ike Davis beat the Yankees today, that's what I'll focus on...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    You on the other hand, can take your sissy Yankee loving antics to another thread....why not start one about how Nova worries you...or Joba, or Pettitte, the ex juicer....Ike Davis beat the Yankees today, that's what I'll focus on...
    That might work... if I were actually worried about any of those things. Enjoy your spring training games, though. Focus!

Tons of laughs... you keep bringing them.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by adb280z View Post
    I'll believe Santana is back when I really see it.

Gee is average

Niese has good stuff but has never really put it together over any length of time

Pelfrey sucks

Frank Francisco has never had an excellent season and is merely an avg closer if that. A relief pitcher with a career ERA of 3.72 is nothing special.

It would be great if Wright came back. I have no faith at all in Bay and would be happy if he hit .250 with 20 HRs. I like Davis and Duda. Murphy could be good if he can actually play 2b, hasn't been able to do that though.

BELIEVE???

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    BELIEVE???
    Srlsy....around the beginning of the fifth inning today.

Admit it.

You thought...a 1-0 Met loss.

ADMIT IT!!!!!

Great win, except for the Torres thing.

If Bay starts hitting....
    Last edited by 32green; 04-05-2012 at 08:14 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    BELIEVE???
    Not yet, encouraging start.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    "If Bay starts hitting"??????

wadeasekund, 32 Green my friend.... I've been a Met homer for 50 years now and even I don't believe that's gonna happen

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Isn't "Mets Optimism" an oxymoron.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    it might already have been said in this thread, but what the hell:

I think the Mets will be better than they are being given credit for, but I think they have some real tough obstacles this season.

1) I'm not a big fan of their depth, already trying to find a replacement for Torres seems iffy.

2) Not a fan of their bullpen.

3) This year, the NL East may be the best it has been in years, arguably could be the toughest division in baseball. If the Mets were in any other NL division I would think maybe they could be in the hunt if everything breaks right, but in the East this year, I just don't see it.

I would give them 80 wins, give or take, and depending on if they have a mid season fire sale.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    If Johan can go every fifth or sixth day and the offense scores some runs for the back of the rotation I think they can be in the thick of things come the trade deadline. And with the Madoff thing behind them they might be buyers.

5 teams make the playoffs now.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 04-06-2012 at 12:26 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by piney View Post
    it might already have been said in this thread, but what the hell:

I think the Mets will be better than they are being given credit for, but I think they have some real tough obstacles this season.

1) I'm not a big fan of their depth, already trying to find a replacement for Torres seems iffy.

2) Not a fan of their bullpen.

3) This year, the NL East may be the best it has been in years, arguably could be the toughest division in baseball. If the Mets were in any other NL division I would think maybe they could be in the hunt if everything breaks right, but in the East this year, I just don't see it.

I would give them 80 wins, give or take, and depending on if they have a mid season fire sale.
    Vegas had the over/under at 72 wins for them.....we can only hope the crazy Marlins implode, and the Phils continue to have injury problems.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Update

National League leading New York Metropolitans defeat the Braves of Atlanta 4-2 behind solid the solid starting pitching of RA Dickey and excelllent work and a terrific hitting day by David Wright and timely hitting from the rest of the lineup (even including the aforementioned Jason Bay)

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Update

National League leading New York Metropolitans defeat the Braves of Atlanta 4-2 behind solid the solid starting pitching of RA Dickey and excelllent work and a terrific hitting day by David Wright and timely hitting from the rest of the lineup (even including the aforementioned Jason Bay)
    2 home runs by Lucas Duda.....The Duda Abides...

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    and over in the American League, it appears that Hideki Irabu may not be the complete solution to the Pinstripers number 2 starting pitcher problem and they may have to go out and buy a new 150 million dollar payroll addition shortly

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    and over in the American League, it appears that Hideki Irabu may not be the complete solution to the Pinstripers number 2 starting pitcher problem and they may have to go out and buy a new 150 million dollar payroll addition shortly

HAHA, Potato & friends....