Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5 Year Plan ?? Anybody have the answer ??

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

5 Year Plan ?? Anybody have the answer ??

posted this as a response in another thread .. but wanted to hear from you all ! :)

I have to say ... I have been really racking my small brain over how our team can compete in the AFC East over the next 5 years. The future doe snot look bright. Essentially the jets started mortgaging their future the moment Tanny decided to create Favrescapades, followed by Holmes' ridiculous contract. Revis is worth every penny so no problems there.
    Wayne Hunter ... are you kidding me ??

This years needs :
    1. RT
    2. OLB
    3. WR1
    4. Safety
    5. Backup QB

Needs in the near future.
    1. QB Possibly (or probably depending on if your cup is half full/empty)
    2. ILB (Scott is a goner in a year or so)
    3. DT
    4. RB
    5. G

2 years out ... Revis comes due.

How do we fill these holes ??? I am starting to think we make do with what we have and trade some high draft picks for future years high draft picks ... a 1 this year for next years 1 and 2 or 1 and 3 etc. etc.

Essentially the Patriot plan ... are they wrong ? I am starting to see their wisdom of their ways.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bart Scott might be gone this year. Again, dreading Revis's new contract.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dimitri_0515;4377207]Bart Scott might be gone this year. Again, dreading Revis's new contract.[/QUOTE]

I agree about Revis ... I think we trade him next year if possible. Maybe for two no. 1s and a player ??

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Our future does not start until Rex Ryan is gone.

All other conversation on the subject is of no use.

SAR I

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4377217]Our future does not start until Rex Ryan is gone.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

why sar .. why .... i had hope you would not hijack this one :offtopic:

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dunnie;4377215]I agree about Revis ... I think we trade him next year if possible. Maybe for two no. 1s and a player ??[/QUOTE]

Cmon, no way Jets trade Revis

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4377217]Our future does not start until Rex Ryan is gone.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

Do you think the Jets will ever hire a HC who, you know, has actually been a HC?

And you know, actually succeeded being a HC, at the PRO LEVEL.

I was loving Rex Ryan, but after 3 years I see that we have DC masquerading as HC.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dunnie;4377219]why sar .. why .... i had hope you would not hijack this one[/QUOTE]

First off, I never "hijack" a thread. I'm insulted that you characterize me in this manner.

Secondly, my response is very much on-topic for this simple reason: The players currently on the roster are "Rex Ryan guys". They play a type of way, they act a type of way, they perform a type of way. The roster is the physical embodiment of it's head coach- undisciplined, inconsistent, loose-lipped, one-dimensional, lazy.

So in order to "win the AFC East in the next 5 years", you have to hope that Rex Ryan makes major changes so that his team respects him enough to play hard for him again.

A linebacker here or a guard there solves nothing. Our issues are not with personnel. Our issues are with preparation, motivation, and coaching.

SAR I

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4377232]First off, I never "hijack" a thread. I'm insulted that you characterize me in this manner.

Secondly, my response is very much on-topic for this simple reason: The players currently on the roster are "Rex Ryan guys". They play a type of way, they act a type of way, they perform a type of way. The roster is the physical embodiment of it's head coach- undisciplined, inconsistent, loose-lipped, one-dimensional, lazy.

So in order to "win the AFC East in the next 5 years", you have to hope that Rex Ryan makes major changes so that his team respects him enough to play hard for him again.

A linebacker here or a guard there solves nothing. Our issues are not with personnel. Our issues are with preparation, motivation, and coaching.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

Hey man ... my response was kinda in jest ... if you took offense ... I apologize. That being said ... I think Tanny is a bigger issue than Rex. However ... I agree whole heartedly about Rex running a loose ship and instilling a lack of professionalism ... it was evident on hard knocks. I think he is a good motivator, but he doesn't seem to know how to be a General ... he is more like a great staff seargent.
    Last edited by Dunnie; 02-26-2012 at 08:50 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4377232]First off, I never "hijack" a thread. I'm insulted that you characterize me in this manner.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

Even with that said, it's all moot anyway as long as the Patriots continue to be the Patriots, which they are going to be for the foreseeable future, unless Tom Brady and/or Bill Belichick basically die. The Jets can give the best shot they can possibly muster in the next 5+ years, and it's not going to be matter as the Patriots are simply too good. We need to save that shot for about 8 years from now, once the Patriots have finally fizzled out, and hope to hell the Dolphins and Bills haven't found their Dan Marino or Jim Kelly in the meantime.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetfan16;4377244]Even with that said, it's all moot anyway as long as the Patriots continue to be the Patriots, which they are going to be for the foreseeable future, unless Tom Brady and/or Bill Belichick basically die. The Jets can give the best shot they can possibly muster in the next 5+ years, and it's not going to be matter as the Patriots are simply too good. We need to save that shot for about 8 years from now, once the Patriots have finally fizzled out, and hope to hell the Dolphins and Bills haven't found their Dan Marino or Jim Kelly in the meantime.[/QUOTE]

That is my point exactly ... do we start saving for the future NOW ???

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dunnie;4377203]posted this as a response in another thread .. but wanted to hear from you all ! :)

I have to say ... I have been really racking my small brain over how our team can compete in the AFC East over the next 5 years. The future doe snot look bright. Essentially the jets started mortgaging their future the moment Tanny decided to create Favrescapades, followed by Holmes' ridiculous contract. Revis is worth every penny so no problems there.

This years needs :
    1. RT
    2. OLB
    3. WR1
    4. Safety
    5. Backup QB

3. DT
    4. RB
    5. G

How do we fill these holes ??? I am starting to think we make do with what we have and trade some high draft picks for future years high draft picks ... a 1 this year for next years 1 and 2 or 1 and 3 etc. etc.

Essentially the Patriot plan ... are they wrong ? I am starting to see their wisdom of their ways.[/QUOTE]

Before I get to my feelings on the thread, can you please explain what the "Patriot plan" is? Because the only "plan" that made the Pats successful was happening to find the greatest 7th round pick in the history of the league. I agree that Belicheck is excellent defensively and his core philosophy of "team first" has helped out a lot, but their drafts have been terrible, their big free agent signings have been disasters (roosevelt colvin and adalius thomas), and aside from coming out of a poor AFC this year, hadn't won a playoff game in 4 years. Whatever success they have had, has largely been because they have a HOF QB....

That being said, brady is declining physically and we have beaten him at home already in the playoffs. Miami has no QB, and is starting a new offense and defense yet again. The Bills just gave $60 million to a middle of the road QB, and have an awful defense.

There is no doubt that we have holes on our team, but its amazing to me how quickly fans can turn on sanchez after one bad season. I guess 3 tds and 0 picks on the road in NE in the playoffs doesn't matter. The kid is very young, and has been playing in an offense that the entire team has said was too complicated. Not to mention that opposing defenses said they knew our plays in advance??????

As for the coach, I love the calls for us to get a proven NFL coach who has had success....who are you looking for exactly? It took the great Bill Cowher [B]12 YEARS [/B] to win a SB. Brian Billick who in his entire career is 16 games over .500? Jon Gruden???? The bottom line is that very good NFL coaches already have jobs, they aren't sitting around waiting for calls if they are that good or that interested in coaching.

Can Rex improve, absolutely. But just as QB is, being an NFL head coach is HARD and it takes time to be good (please remember Belichick was fired). The criticism of "Rex's guys" is typical Monday Morning QB....Bart Scott and Leonhard were brought here as much for their knowledge of the defense (which has been top 10 every year Rex has been here) as their ability. Yes scott is old and needs to go, but he has 1 more year and thats it.

When you win playoff games, you don't get high picks and we have been picking late in the first round for years. Plus we have been short picks since we traded up for arguably the best defensive player in the NFL. This year we have 2 top 50 picks and a full draft plus compensatory picks....we can fix our holes.

Lastly, stressing about the salary cap (especially Revis - again, the best defensive player in the NFL) is ridiculous. The NFL will be getting a new TV deal which will increase the cap. I only hope Sanchez has such a great year that he deserves a big contract.....having good players costs money. Kansas City has a lot of cap room - thats because they suck! Also don't forget the players like scott and Cro that we can cut after 2012 to open up more cap space. Please look at this list of under 30 talent here that are in the top 15 at their position: Dbrick, mangold, revis, harris, and Santonio. How about the young, inexpensive talent: wilkerson, maybin, slauson, kerley, mcknight.

Lets stop the doom and gloom....things aren't that bad for the organization.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetfan16;4377244]Even with that said, it's all moot anyway as long as the Patriots continue to be the Patriots, which they are going to be for the foreseeable future, unless Tom Brady and/or Bill Belichick basically die. The Jets can give the best shot they can possibly muster in the next 5+ years, and it's not going to be matter as the Patriots are simply too good. We need to save that shot for about 8 years from now, once the Patriots have finally fizzled out, and hope to hell the Dolphins and Bills haven't found their Dan Marino or Jim Kelly in the meantime.[/QUOTE]

Brady will be 35 to start the 2012 season....you don't expect any decline from him in his 35-40 seasons?

Also, and I don't want to make this thread about Brady, but the mental and emotional drain to win is extremely high in the nfl and you can only imagine how much another loss to the Giants hurt him. Its not going to be easy for him to keep up his level of commitment given the toll of some of his losses lately.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=eaglenj;4377273]Brady will be 35 to start the 2012 season....you don't expect any decline from him in his 35-40 seasons?

Also, and I don't want to make this thread about Brady, but the mental and emotional drain to win is extremely high in the nfl and you can only imagine how much another loss to the Giants hurt him. Its not going to be easy for him to keep up his level of commitment given the toll of some of his losses lately.[/QUOTE]

hmmm ... arguably ... Joe Montana did nto really tail off too badly .. if you lookat his stats (aside from injury years) His TDs declined around 35 .. but that was more because he did not have Rice and Taylor to throw to.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4377232][B]First off, I never "hijack" a thread[/B]. I'm insulted that you characterize me in this manner.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

:rolleyes:

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=eaglenj;4377268]Before I get to my feelings on the thread, can you please explain what the "Patriot plan" is? Because the only "plan" that made the Pats successful was happening to find the greatest 7th round pick in the history of the league. I agree that Belicheck is excellent defensively and his core philosophy of "team first" has helped out a lot, but their drafts have been terrible, their big free agent signings have been disasters (roosevelt colvin and adalius thomas), and aside from coming out of a poor AFC this year, hadn't won a playoff game in 4 years. Whatever success they have had, has largely been because they have a HOF QB....

That being said, brady is declining physically and we have beaten him at home already in the playoffs. Miami has no QB, and is starting a new offense and defense yet again. The Bills just gave $60 million to a middle of the road QB, and have an awful defense.

There is no doubt that we have holes on our team, but its amazing to me how quickly fans can turn on sanchez after one bad season. I guess 3 tds and 0 picks on the road in NE in the playoffs doesn't matter. The kid is very young, and has been playing in an offense that the entire team has said was too complicated. Not to mention that opposing defenses said they knew our plays in advance??????

As for the coach, I love the calls for us to get a proven NFL coach who has had success....who are you looking for exactly? It took the great Bill Cowher [B]12 YEARS [/B] to win a SB. Brian Billick who in his entire career is 16 games over .500? Jon Gruden???? The bottom line is that very good NFL coaches already have jobs, they aren't sitting around waiting for calls if they are that good or that interested in coaching.

Can Rex improve, absolutely. But just as QB is, being an NFL head coach is HARD and it takes time to be good (please remember Belichick was fired). The criticism of "Rex's guys" is typical Monday Morning QB....Bart Scott and Leonhard were brought here as much for their knowledge of the defense (which has been top 10 every year Rex has been here) as their ability. Yes scott is old and needs to go, but he has 1 more year and thats it.

When you win playoff games, you don't get high picks and we have been picking late in the first round for years. Plus we have been short picks since we traded up for arguably the best defensive player in the NFL. This year we have 2 top 50 picks and a full draft plus compensatory picks....we can fix our holes.

Lastly, stressing about the salary cap (especially Revis - again, the best defensive player in the NFL) is ridiculous. The NFL will be getting a new TV deal which will increase the cap. I only hope Sanchez has such a great year that he deserves a big contract.....having good players costs money. Kansas City has a lot of cap room - thats because they suck! Also don't forget the players like scott and Cro that we can cut after 2012 to open up more cap space. Please look at this list of under 30 talent here that are in the top 15 at their position: Dbrick, mangold, revis, harris, and Santonio. How about the young, inexpensive talent: wilkerson, maybin, slauson, kerley, mcknight.

Lets stop the doom and gloom....things aren't that bad for the organization.[/QUOTE]

Excellent post...I feel better.

Plus I feel Sparano will let Sanchez just line up and play and not have to think about what the OC's daddy dreamed up on page 1,157 of the playbook, so we should definitely know, finally, what the Jets have in Sanchez.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF;4377333]Excellent post...I feel better.

Plus I feel Sparano will let Sanchez just line up and play and not have to think about what the OC's daddy dreamed up on page 1,157 of the playbook, so we should definitely know, finally, what the Jets have in Sanchez.[/QUOTE]

You realize Sparano is actually going to call in plays to Sanchez and he's going to have to understand them, read the defense, call audibles when necessary, and execute things as designed, right?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dunnie;4377203]posted this as a response in another thread .. but wanted to hear from you all ! :)

This years needs :
    1. RT
    2. OLB
    3. WR1
    4. Safety
    5. Backup QB

3. DT
    4. RB
    5. G

Essentially the Patriot plan ... are they wrong ? I am starting to see their wisdom of their ways.[/QUOTE]

Excellent analysis. With Tannenbaum at the helm, I'm afraid we are going to go backwards. I would say this is definitely another rebuilding year and if management remains the same, I would say this could go on for a while.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The bottom line is the Jets need to do a better job drafting and stop acting like they are only plugging in holes. We need to add more depth and quality starters and the best way to keep the team moving in the right direction is to do it through the draft.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4377232]First off, I never "hijack" a thread.[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://pepperhawkfarm.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/laughing-1.gif[/IMG]