Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Peter King: MMQB on Manning

As per [COLOR="Red"]ROTOWORLD[/COLOR]

Bob Kravitz of the Indianapolis Star reports Peyton Manning is working out in Florida and throwing "much, much better."
    NFL Network's Albert Breer has heard similar reports. It was the well-sourced Kravitz who told the Tony Kornheiser Show early last month that Manning did not yet look like an NFL quarterback in throwing sessions. Between the Kravitz's report and another by ESPN's Chris Mortensen, it seems that Manning has made substantial progress over the past 4-6 weeks. We wouldn't be surprised to see a free agent blitz on Manning starting at midnight on March 13.

[QUOTE=GMCJETS;4381778]As per [COLOR="Red"]ROTOWORLD[/COLOR]

Bob Kravitz of the Indianapolis Star reports Peyton Manning is working out in Florida and throwing "much, much better."
    NFL Network's Albert Breer has heard similar reports. It was the well-sourced Kravitz who told the Tony Kornheiser Show early last month that Manning did not yet look like an NFL quarterback in throwing sessions. Between the Kravitz's report and another by ESPN's Chris Mortensen, it seems that Manning has made substantial progress over the past 4-6 weeks. We wouldn't be surprised to see a free agent blitz on Manning starting at midnight on March 13.[/QUOTE]

If he gets released on the 8th doesn't that mean the 'blitz' can start that very moment?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=JetsNeedNewton;4378331]Why does no one consider his staying where he is, the deal being:

You play if able but make room for luck if you aren't. Meantime, worst case is you, one of the great QBs of all time, coach the little prick and teach him (as you and dad have been doing at your FB camp BTW) how to play NFL football.

Win Win for Indy, Manning and Luck.

What's the downside for PM?[/QUOTE]I think the way the Colts have handled it to this point has made the outcome you've laid out less likely; I also think the team is ready to move on from the PM era, and don't necessarily want one more year with PM as the designated starter. There's also the $$ issue.

As for PM downside, he's a competitor, and if he thinks he'll eventually be able to play at a high level this year, he'll want to go somewhere where they believe that too - which may not be a team with the next 'greatest QB ever' breathing down his neck as he shakes off the rust...

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=SINYJets;4381822]If he gets released on the 8th doesn't that mean the 'blitz' can start that very moment?[/QUOTE]
    March 13 is the start of the "league year", and I don't think they can do anything before then. I've read that in reference to other things.

[QUOTE=isired;4381944]March 13 is the start of the "league year", and I don't think they can do anything before then. I've read that in reference to other things.[/QUOTE]

players released may be signed at any time, players at the end of contracts cannot

All League
    [QUOTE=isired;4381944]March 13 is the start of the "league year", and I don't think they can do anything before then. I've read that in reference to other things.[/QUOTE]Actually yeah. If you're released prior to the league year ending you're free to sign with any team that has cap space. See Stanford Routt signing with the Chiefs a couple weeks ago.

Free Agency only starts March 13 because that's when contracts expire.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

That makes sense, thanks.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=isired;4381940]I think the way the Colts have handled it to this point has made the outcome you've laid out less likely; I also think the team is ready to move on from the PM era, and don't necessarily want one more year with PM as the designated starter. [B]There's also the $$ issue. [/B]

As for PM downside, he's a competitor, and if he thinks he'll eventually be able to play at a high level this year, he'll want to go somewhere where they believe that too - which may not be a team with the next 'greatest QB ever' breathing down his neck as he shakes off the rust...[/QUOTE]

I think the $$$ are what's driving it. JMO, they'd be perfectly happy having Luck and PM on the same roster if PM would agree to waive his $28M roster bonus. That ain't happening, from what I gather. PM's position is "I'm under contract....either cut me or don't. If you don't, I will cash a very large check come March 8th." Considering that's his likely position (or something close to it), they have come to grips with moving on from the PM era.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=crasherino;4381974]I think the $$$ are what's driving it. JMO, they'd be perfectly happy having Luck and PM on the same roster if PM would agree to waive his $28M roster bonus. That ain't happening, from what I gather. PM's position is "I'm under contract....either cut me or don't. If you don't, I will cash a very large check come March 8th." Considering that's his likely position (or something close to it), they have come to grips with moving on from the PM era.[/QUOTE]Definitely - I think Irsay said almost exactly that - that they would have to restructure the deal, that if Manning wasn't a Colt next season, it would be because he wouldn't restructure. But the way Irsay has handled it tells me they're ready to move on. Interviews I've heard seemed more about damage control with the fanbase for Manning's likely release than anything else.

Lucky bastards to have two of the best QB prospects in a while in the year this all happens - even if they didn't end up with the first overall pick, they could have maneuvered to get one of them...
    Last edited by isired; 03-02-2012 at 01:43 PM.