Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Songs that you have no idea how they became popular

Jets Insider VIP

Songs that you have no idea how they became popular

So after thinking of this topic for a while, I think this one has to be my number #1. Not only is it beaten to death on classic rock stations, it has seemingly been in every commercial.( Most recently an annoying Hyundai one (boy that company makes the most irritating commercials))

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iR2V60yLIaw[/url]

Jets Insider VIP
    [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMFqh_tiHoQ[/url]

Jets Insider VIP
    Of all the songs that you could have picked, you pick that one??????

dude try this one:

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cd_Fdly3rX8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cd_Fdly3rX8[/URL]

[QUOTE=Ruby2;4377551]So after thinking of this topic for a while, I think this one has to be my number #1. Not only is it beaten to death on classic rock stations, it has seemingly been in every commercial.( Most recently an annoying Hyundai one (boy that company makes the most irritating commercials))

[/QUOTE]

Over-played does not equate with "no idea how they became popular". "All Right Now" became popular because it is a great, well written, rock tune performed by a group of excellent musicians.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Borgoguy;4377559]Over-played does not equate with "no idea how they became popular". "All Right Now" became popular because it is a great, well written, rock tune performed by a group of excellent musicians.[/QUOTE]

IDK man. Obiously I didnt grow up when it came out, but every since I can remember hearing it I have always hated it.

Just combines every lazy over played classical rock element into one annoying 5 minute rampage on the ears.

[QUOTE=Ruby2;4377563] Just combines every lazy over played classical rock element into one annoying 5 minute rampage on the ears.[/QUOTE]

This describes Ina Gadda Da Vida much more accurately. Plus it's much longer. Plus, unlike in All Right Now, the musicianship is terrible.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Borgoguy;4377559]Over-played does not equate with "no idea how they became popular". "All Right Now" became popular because it is a great, well written, rock tune performed by a group of excellent musicians.[/QUOTE]

the amazing thing to me is Paul Rodgers sounds just as good today as he did 30/40 years ago :eek:

[QUOTE=Ruby2;4377563]IDK man. Obiously I didnt grow up when it came out, but every since I can remember hearing it I have always hated it.

Just combines every lazy over played classical rock element into one annoying 5 minute rampage on the ears.[/QUOTE]

I respect your opinion, but disagree with you strongly. Listen to Rodgers' vocal delivery and the late Paul Kossoff's guitar attack. (IMO, both are brilliant.) Couple that with Andy Fraser's funky bass groove and Simon Kirke's steady rock drumming and you have a pretty killer track.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Borgoguy;4377570]I respect your opinion, but disagree with you strongly. Listen to Rodgers' vocal delivery and the late Paul Kossoff's guitar attack. (IMO, both are brilliant.) Couple that with Andy Fraser's funky bass groove and Simon Kirke's steady rock drumming and you have a pretty killer track.[/QUOTE]

But killer enough to be featured time and time again?

I just don't see the songs appeal, regardless of the musicianship, riffs, deliveries etc.

Clearly I am in the minority as the song obviously is liked by many.

[QUOTE=Ruby2;4377574][B]But killer enough to be featured time and time again?[/B]

I just don't see the songs appeal, regardless of the musicianship, riffs, deliveries etc.

Clearly I am in the minority as the song obviously is liked by many.[/QUOTE]

Ruby, please tell me you're not this dense. I agree that the song may be over-used. BUT: Because the band sold out does not negate the original allure of the composition.

Hall Of Fame
    I can't wait till somebody lists a bunch of great rock songs of the 60's and 70's.

How did Whipping Post become popular?

How did Hey Jude become popular?

How did Satisfaction become popular?

How did Stairway to Heaven become popular?

How did Money become popular?

I wasn't born then, so yeah, all those song are overplayed and suck :D

_

[QUOTE=JStokes;4377580]I can't wait till somebody lists a bunch of great rock songs of the 60's and 70's.

_[/QUOTE]

LOL. I actually feel sorry for the last generation or two. With the advent of instant/disposable music, they will never comprehend the power of rock in the 60s and 70s. Unless you lived back the, all the mystique and anticipation of the next great artist/band/song style/album is lost.

[QUOTE=JStokes;4377580]I can't wait till somebody lists a bunch of great rock songs of the 60's and 70's.

_[/QUOTE]

Fantastic songs, luv 'em...all on my iPod :yes:

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Borgoguy;4377584]LOL. I actually feel sorry for the last generation or two. With the advent of instant/disposable music, they will never comprehend the power of rock in the 60s and 70s. Unless you lived back the, all the mystique and anticipation of the next great artist/band/song style/album is lost.[/QUOTE]

Too funny, I've seen threads here about "The Worst Song Ever" and they list Stairway to Heaven.

I get that now it's been overplayed to death and I don't even have it on my Zepp playlist anymore, but that song was monumentally and historically one of the greatest rock songs ever back in the day.

So...we don't like it anymore.

But the worst song EVER? :eek:

Hey, I NEVER play Born to Run now--but back in the day?

It didn't become bad, it just got overplayed.

_

Hall Of Fame
    Exhibit B.

Overplayed now for sure. But when I was a senior in HS, this song was one of our rock anthems. Monumental.

Geebus.

I guess Buddy Holly sucks too, huh Ruby :rolleyes: (ps, not a Buddy Holly fan, but common!!)

[QUOTE=Ruby2;4377554][url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMFqh_tiHoQ[/url][/QUOTE]
    _

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Borgoguy;4377579]Ruby, please tell me you're not this dense. I agree that the song may be over-used. BUT: Because the band sold out does not negate the original allure of the composition.[/QUOTE]

Well I mean, obviously its over used because people like it.

I simply dont understand how so many people like it.

"Wont get fooled again" being used in everything under the sun makes sense, because its a great song. "Alright Now" being used in everything under the sun doesn't make sense because it is not a great song.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Borgoguy;4377584]LOL. I actually feel sorry for the last generation or two. With the advent of instant/disposable music, they will never comprehend the power of rock in the 60s and 70s. Unless you lived back the, all the mystique and anticipation of the next great artist/band/song style/album is lost.[/QUOTE]

This is simply an unfair generalization.

I love and respect a lot of music from the 60's and 70's, Free is just not one of those bands.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=JStokes;4377598]Exhibit B.

Overplayed now for sure. But when I was a senior in HS, this song was one of our rock anthems. Monumental.

Geebus.

I guess Buddy Holly sucks too, huh Ruby :rolleyes: (ps, not a Buddy Holly fan, but common!!)

_[/QUOTE]

Most of the rock anthems from my senior year in highschool suck too, its ok:)

Edit: Also love Buddy Holly

Jets Insider VIP

_[/QUOTE]

I love all of those songs;)

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Ruby2;4377605]Most of the rock anthems from my senior year in highschool suck too, its ok:)

Edit: Also love Buddy Holly[/QUOTE]

Yea, but rock probably sucked when you were in HS :D

_