Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Songs that you have no idea how they became popular

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JStokes;4377615]Yea, but rock probably sucked when you were in HS :D

_[/QUOTE]

I listened to Blink 182 the other day and almost smacked myself for liking them back in the day.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JStokes;4377580]I can't wait till somebody lists a bunch of great rock songs of the 60's and 70's.

How did Whipping Post become popular?

How did Hey Jude become popular?

How did Satisfaction become popular?

How did Stairway to Heaven become popular?

How did Money become popular?

I wasn't born then, so yeah, all those song are overplayed and suck :D

_[/QUOTE]...whoa whoa whoa...beep beep beep...back up there soldier...Whipping Post sucks?...GASP!...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Ruby2;4377601]This is simply an unfair generalization.

I love and respect a lot of music from the 60's and 70's, Free is just not one of those bands.[/QUOTE]

I don't think it is. You might appreciate the music, but lack the context from which it was wrought. Just as someone like me who would do anything to have heard Chuck Berry back in the 50s when it was truly revolutionary.

We might like and "appreciate" "Johnny B. Goode", but that does not compare with someone who heard it screaming out of a radio speaker or jukebox back then. It's just not the same. It lacks the impact of a new musical style brought about during very repressed times in our society.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Borgoguy;4377584]LOL. I actually feel sorry for the last generation or two. With the advent of instant/disposable music, they will never comprehend the power of rock in the 60s and 70s. Unless you lived back the, all the mystique and anticipation of the next great artist/band/song style/album is lost.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't say all is lost. I'll use the Stones as an example.

I didn't grow up in that era, or witness them in concert at that time, but my Stones experience was similar to this. When I first was exposed to their stuff on my parents' oldies station as a kid it was good. Fun jingles. Then, the older I got, and more appreciation and knowledge of music I grew with over the years, the more in depth perception I got of their catelog.

Discovered Beggars Banquet. Listened to it to death. Couldn't wait to move on to Let it Bleed. Then all of a sudden someone lends you Sticky Fingers. Then look! There's this one called Exile! Whoa!

Then came the discovery of live footage and recordings. An appreciation of the Mick Taylor performances. All new and exciting.

I have similar experiences with a myriad of other 60's and 70's rock icons. The Dead, Allmans, Zep, etc. etc. - a constant learning process for years. New (to me) wonderful discoveries.

I don't feel like I missed out too much on it, I just did it retrospectively. If anything, with modern technology, I've got easier and cleared access to many of these recordings. And I probably wouldn't have had too much access to the shows in person anyway.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Ruby2;4377605]Most of the rock anthems from my senior year in highschool suck too, its ok:)

[B]Edit: Also love Buddy Holly[/B][/QUOTE]

He wasn't talking about the Weezer song ;)

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetPotato;4377630][B]I wouldn't say all is lost.[/B] I'll use the Stones as an example.

I didn't grow up in that era, or witness them in concert at that time, but my Stones experience was similar to this. When I first was exposed to their stuff on my parents' oldies station as a kid it was good. Fun jingles. Then, the older I got, and more appreciation and knowledge of music I grew with over the years, the more in depth perception I got of their catelog.

Discovered Beggars Banquet. Listened to it to death. Couldn't wait to move on to Let it Bleed. Then all of a sudden someone lends you Sticky Fingers. Then look! There's this one called Exile! Whoa!

Then came the discovery of live footage and recordings. An appreciation of the Mick Taylor performances. All new and exciting.

I have similar experiences with a myriad of other 60's and 70's rock icons. The Dead, Allmans, Zep, etc. etc. - a constant learning process for years. New (to me) wonderful discoveries.

I don't feel like I missed out too much on it, I just did it retrospectively. If anything, with modern technology, I've got easier and cleared access to many of these recordings. And I probably wouldn't have had too much access to the shows in person anyway.[/QUOTE]

Neither did I. Your post illustrates my point. You can gobble up all The Stones music and film/video at an instant. Back then, we waited for these records to be released, savoring every new direction a band would take, often as a response to the war or social upheaval. Also, at least in my case, my parents just didn't hand over money to buy albums or 45s. A new record was a treasure.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Borgoguy;4377628]I don't think it is. You might appreciate the music, but lack the context from which it was wrought. Just as someone like me who would do anything to have heard Chuck Berry back in the 50s when it was truly revolutionary.

We might like and "appreciate" "Johnny B. Goode", but that does not compare with someone who heard it screaming out of a radio speaker or jukebox back then. It's just not the same. [B]It lacks the impact of a new musical style brought about during very repressed times in our society[/B].[/QUOTE]

Borg, I'm disapppointed in you.

Music has an impact on lots of people, in lots of different ways, in lots of different times, places, and states of mental being. The impact you've felt and enjoyed is no more important than anyone else's, except to you.

I think you know this.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetPotato;4377638][B]Borg, I'm disapppointed in you.[/B]

Music has an impact on lots of people, in lots of different ways, in lots of different times, places, and states of mental being. The impact you've felt and enjoyed is no more important than anyone else's, except to you.

I think you know this.[/QUOTE]

So you think Chuck Berry's music in the 50s wasn't revolutionary? That the 50s weren't repressed?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I think Adele sucks.

I actually like her songs, and the lyrics, and the mood they invoke, I just hate her voice. She sounds like a 3 pack a day smoker with zero range. I actually think her songs would be better if sung by someone else.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anything sung by Ringo Starr.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Bonhomme Richard;4377643]I think Adele sucks.

I actually like her songs, and the lyrics, and the mood they invoke, I just hate her voice. She sounds like a 3 pack a day smoker with zero range. I actually think her songs would be better if sung by someone else.[/QUOTE]

I think shes got a great unique voice.

Onto a singer who I just dont get....Alicia Keys. Just so unbelievably average at everything.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    One of the big problems is that radio absolutely blows these day. DJ's play nothing but playlists and it's the same f***ing songs over and over again.

Yeah, those songs are great but do I have to hear "Won't Get Fooled Again" nearly every time they play a Who song? Or Honky Tonk Tomen evfery time it's a Stones song? And so on...

A friend of mine is a DJ at a classic rock station. Said he basically was not allowed to play a single song that wasn't on that playlist unless they had an all request hour or something like that.

I'd love to hear a station that played deeper cuts off of some albums instead of the same old warhorses.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=crossfire;4377649]One of the big problems is that radio absolutely blows these day. DJ's play nothing but playlists and it's the same f***ing songs over and over again.

Yeah, those songs are great but do I have to hear "Won't Get Fooled Again" nearly every time they play a Who song? Or Honky Tonk Tomen evfery time it's a Stones song? And so on...

A friend of mine is a DJ at a classic rock station. Said he basically was not allowed to play a single song that wasn't on that playlist unless they had an all request hour or something like that.

I'd love to hear a station that played deeper cuts off of some albums instead of the same old warhorses.[/QUOTE]

Try 107.1 (might not get it on LI) or the even better 90.7

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=crossfire;4377649]One of the big problems is that radio absolutely blows these day. DJ's play nothing but playlists and it's the same f***ing songs over and over again.

I'd love to hear a station that played deeper cuts off of some albums instead of the same old warhorses.[/QUOTE]

Deep Tracks on Sirius/XM :cool:

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=crossfire;4377649][B]One of the big problems is that radio absolutely blows these day. DJ's play nothing but playlists and it's the same f***ing songs over and over again. [/B]

And it doesnt matter what genre you like, its all the same.

I find it funny that all the songs that are "played out" from the past is from the use in TV commercials, I liked Bob Seger back in the day, now i want to rip my ears off if i hear "Like a Rock"

But new songs today start out in commercials, then some how become radio hits??? I saw this song in a Pepsi commercial I think at last years Super Bowl, now its on top 40 all day????

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxnFJG6CW20[/url]

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VssP6Af7VRU[/url]

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I never got how this song was popular. These guys milked this POS (my opinion) for years.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of368QdosR0[/url]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tC1NR7AL_9s[/url]

Sucks

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9u9mZz-o-g[/url]

The gay is strong in this one

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-n75KVcGsw[/url]

I came along
    I wrote a song for you
    And all the things you do
    And it was called "I don't have male genitalia, so I sing like this"

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Semi Charmed Life is arguably the definitive 90's song.

Big thumbs down to you for that one:P

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Ruby2;4377684]Semi Charmed Life is arguably the definitive 90's song.[/QUOTE]

I believe you meant "Man in the Box" is the definitive 90's song :P

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Borgoguy;4377642]So you think Chuck Berry's music in the 50s wasn't revolutionary? That the 50s weren't repressed?[/QUOTE]

No, I didn't say anything of the sort. But I don't think that because you weren't there in the 50's, that you don't have an ability to appreciate his music or its historical impact.

The 50's being repressed was something that the people of the 50's had to deal with, and if they used music as a means to break that monotony, more power to them. That doesn't mean some kid in the 90's who having his own personal issues that found joy and comfort in Berry's music didn't mean as much to him/her on a personal level.