Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Songs that you have no idea how they became popular

Jets Insider VIP
    By the way, you'll have to excuse me. Just read what I wrote again and that last line of my post is what I refer to as a "Monday sentence".

Undrafted Free Agent
    [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LH5ay10RTGY&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/url]

The stupid sh!t ppl do for money.

It is a song n 24million+ have it.

But it is funny

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

All Pro
    Can we all at least agree that Styx and REO Speedwagon blew chunks?

[QUOTE=Borgoguy;4377584]LOL. I actually feel sorry for the last generation or two. With the advent of instant/disposable music, they will never comprehend the power of rock in the 60s and 70s. Unless you lived back the, all the mystique and anticipation of the next great artist/band/song style/album is lost.[/QUOTE]

Not just that..but we got to hear it as electronics improved.

I remember hearing "Rock and Roll" by Zeppelin in my buddies car in college. Top notch stero with equalizer (cassette tape) and being blown away. I heard things I NEVER heard before when listening on my so called "JC Penny-stereo" at home.

Now when we listen in remastered music, same experience.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=2foolish197;4377622]...whoa whoa whoa...beep beep beep...back up there soldier...Whipping Post sucks?...GASP!...[/QUOTE]

Sarcasm alert.

I was mocking youngsters mocking some of the all time rock great songs :D

_

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=BushyTheBeaver;4377724]Can we all at least agree that Styx and REO Speedwagon blew chunks?[/QUOTE]

yes sir!

Jets Insider VIP
    Anything by Pink Floyd or Iron and Wine....

[SIZE="7"][COLOR="White"]*Warfish dog whistle[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4377683]

[URL]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9u9mZz-o-g[/URL]

The gay is strong in this one

[/QUOTE]

I like that song :O

[SIZE=1]<checks to make sure he still has package>[/SIZE]

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4377751]Anything by Pink Floyd or Iron and Wine....

[SIZE="7"][COLOR="White"]*Warfish dog whistle[/COLOR][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

LOL at the hidden text as that was what I was going to respond.

HAHAH classic.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Ruby2;4377753]LOL at the hidden text as that was what I was going to respond.

HAHAH classic.[/QUOTE]

Me too--and I was all WLF whenst I saw the hidden message.

_

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=JStokes;4377758]Me too--and I was all WLF whenst I saw the hidden message.

_[/QUOTE]

Seriously though, Iron & Whine, Bon Iver, all those guys suck.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Ruby2;4377760]Seriously though, Iron & Whine, Bon Iver, all those guys suck.[/QUOTE]

I saw Iron & Wine in concert. My GF likes them, gave me 2 of their CDs.

I can deal with them (him). Nice acoustic stuff to play in the background.

/shrug :D

_

All Pro
    Music snobbery is one of the few forms of snobbery I don't really undestand. Maybe it's because I've never played an intstrument, but I don't really get how people get so up in arms about what is good or what is bad.... Everything about what type of music you tend to enjoy is subjective and personal.

[QUOTE=JetPotato;4377693]No, I didn't say anything of the sort. [B] But I don't think that because you weren't there in the 50's, that you don't have an ability to appreciate his music or its historical impact.[/B]

The 50's being repressed was something that the people of the 50's had to deal with, and if they used music as a means to break that monotony, more power to them. That doesn't mean some kid in the 90's who having his own personal issues that found joy and comfort in Berry's music didn't mean as much to him/her on a personal level.[/QUOTE]

I think you're arguing for argument's sake. You're distorting my concept by going in circles.

A person can "appreciate" music from any era, pop to Baroque and beyond. What I said was that unless an individual has lived through the 60s and 70s, they will lack the context to fully grasp power the power and revolutionary aspects of rock music from that era. Doesn't mean they can't dig it or folks like me are superior, just better able to comprehend its genesis and evolution from being there, not seeing it on film or reading about it.

Neil Young wrote "Ohio" after the Kent State massacre in 1970. A person hearing that song today--even though they might be fully empathetic and [I]appreciative[/I] of the words and music--does not have the same [I]context[/I] as a person from that era who watched the nightly body counts on TV, had relatives in Vietnam or in college at that time, or--like my wife--graduated high school with one of the kids who got killed. You just can't. Just like I can "appreciate" the protest songs of Pete Seeger, Bob Dylan and others, but was too young to get any of the nuances associated with that social turmoil.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Borgoguy;4377811]I think you're arguing for argument's sake. You're distorting my concept by going in circles.

A person can "appreciate" music from any era, pop to Baroque and beyond. What I said was that unless an individual has lived through the 60s and 70s, they will lack the context to fully grasp power the power and revolutionary aspects of rock music from that era. Doesn't mean they can't dig it or folks like me are superior, just better able to comprehend its genesis and evolution from being there, not seeing it on film or reading about it.

Neil Young wrote "Ohio" after the Kent State massacre in 1970. A person hearing that song today--even though they might be fully empathetic and [I]appreciative[/I] of the words and music--does not have the same [I]context[/I] as a person from that era who watched the nightly body counts on TV, had relatives in Vietnam or in college at that time, or--like my wife--graduated high school with one of the kids who got killed. You just can't. Just like I can "appreciate" the protest songs of Pete Seeger, Bob Dylan and others, but was too young to get any of the nuances associated with that social turmoil.[/QUOTE]

Music is a mirror :yes:

[QUOTE=Borgoguy;4377559]Over-played does not equate with "no idea how they became popular". "All Right Now" became popular because it is a great, well written, rock tune performed by a group of excellent musicians.[/QUOTE]
    Precisely.

You should be given the power to delete posts within this thread.

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4377816]Music is a mirror :yes:[/QUOTE]

Absolutely correct.

Let's assume a singer or band in Syria writes music which is both inspirational and evocative of their current revolution/turmoil. These tunes captivates their population and the world with their power. Forty-two years from now, the same amount of time from the Kent State murders, will this/these songs have a similar impact to the kids living there or here? maybe. But, for certain, they will not be as fully appreciated as those in Syria today, or folks like us witnessing it from afar.

[QUOTE=crossfire;4377649]I'd love to hear a station that played deeper cuts off of some albums instead of the same old warhorses.[/QUOTE]
    The rock stations never change their formula because it costs them in listeners.

Being a business before anything else, it's a numbers thing. It's too bad.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4377751]Anything by Pink Floyd or Iron and Wine....

[SIZE=7][COLOR=White]*Warfish dog whistle[/COLOR][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

Seriously, that really was just ****ing brilliant.

I hate these threads because all of the YooHooTube links are blocked.
    But who here said Styx sucks?

Ironically enough, their worst song at the time, Mr. Roboto, might actually end up being their best one ever :D

[IMG]http://lounge.moviecodec.com/images/attachment/the-kool-aid-man-vs-mr-roboto-5189.gif[/IMG]

All League

No idea how they became popular

Any song by Kiss.