Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I made my wife watch the Namath doc - just so she understands

I made my wife watch the Namath doc - just so she understands

She always asks, "why are you a JETS fan when your brothers ( older) are Giant fans"

I always told her because Joe Namath was a like rock star. She never really understood. But now she does.

If you didn't watch it, make sure you do. Great job by HBO!!!

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=ctjetfan;4377836]She always asks, "why are you a JETS fan when your brothers ( older) are Giant fans"

I always told her because Joe Namath was a like rock star. She never really understood. But now she does.

If you didn't watch it, make sure you do. Great job by HBO!!![/QUOTE]

I also made my son watch it. He now understands what and who Joe Willie Namath was and is. I loved the video. HBO did a great job and Joe was as he always is BROADWAY JOE, Jets immortal.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

I love Joe Namath and the Jets place in AFL history more than you know, but as I get older I get more depressed over watching the highlights and re-living 1968.

As a Rangers fan in 1984, I did not watch highlights of the 1940 Stanley Cup victory and take any pride in what that team accomplished. It was ancient history, 44 years gone by, all that grainy footage, half the team dead and buried. Not sure why I'd feel any differently with the Jets, makes sense now that we're so far removed from Super Bowl III. I remember being at the game in 1993 where the Jets honored the 25th anniversary of that win thinking what a long time had passed. It's unfathomable now, especially in light of the back-to-back AFC Championship Game losses.

Love Joe, just can't do it anymore. I'm done with 1968.

SAR I

[QUOTE=SAR I;4377957]
    SAR I[/QUOTE]

Maybe its time you switched teams then. Because Joe Namath will always be the QB who won the JETS first and only Super Bowl up until now along with the 1969 NYJETS.

What really happened on that bus? :eek:
    Last edited by GMCJETS; 02-27-2012 at 04:28 PM.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

[QUOTE=GMCJETS;4377960]Maybe its time you switched teams then. [/QUOTE]

I have a better idea; maybe it's time the Jets figured out how to win one for us.

SAR I

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4377976]I have a better idea; maybe it's time the Jets figured out how to win one for us.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

Yeah, we certainly sound like we deserve it.

You know what? I'm not going to celebrate the 4th of July this year either. That's so 1776. When is our [I]next[/I] revolution going to come?

[QUOTE=SAR I;4377976]I have a better idea; maybe it's time the Jets figured out how to win one for us.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

Thats a helluva of an idea......:rolleyes:

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=JetPotato;4377984] When is our [I]next[/I] revolution going to come?[/QUOTE]

Tuesday at 4:15 pm. BYOB

See you there!

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

[QUOTE=JetPotato;4377984]Yeah, we certainly sound like we deserve it.

You know what? I'm not going to celebrate the 4th of July this year either. That's so 1776. When is our [I]next[/I] revolution going to come?[/QUOTE]

Nothing worse than a SOJF SOMF.

SAR I

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4377957]I love Joe Namath and the Jets place in AFL history more than you know, but as I get older I get more depressed over watching the highlights and re-living 1968.

As a Rangers fan in 1984, I did not watch highlights of the 1940 Stanley Cup victory and take any pride in what that team accomplished. It was ancient history, 44 years gone by, all that grainy footage, half the team dead and buried. Not sure why I'd feel any differently with the Jets, makes sense now that we're so far removed from Super Bowl III. I remember being at the game in 1993 where the Jets honored the 25th anniversary of that win thinking what a long time had passed. It's unfathomable now, especially in light of the back-to-back AFC Championship Game losses.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

Me too but the documentary brought me back to my childhood and how Joe was THE MAN in the city. It was so much more than football.

All Pro
    Namath was a happening. Those who didn't live through it can never understand.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

[QUOTE=GMCJETS;4377960]

What really happened on that bus? [/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n114/srubenst/DSC02279.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n114/srubenst/DSC02282.jpg[/IMG]

My Super Bowl III gameday program and original ticket stub.

My AFL Championship Game program and original (full, unused) ticket.

Like I said, love the Jets more than you know, loved the whole "historic moment in AFL history" feel, proud of what Joe Namath accomplished, got a lot more memorabilia than this, cost me a pretty penny too. But now, 44 years and 0-4 in AFC Championship Games later, I just can't have it anymore.

Twas a great accomplishment, but what's gone on since is more important to me. Need to win it again. Can't keep holding onto a memory.

SAR I

SAR, after the Jets double OT loss to Cleveland 25 years ago, I put all my Jets stuff into a big box and out on the street. The next morning my garbage was gone, but, the box was there with a note that read: "You might want to reconsider - Frank" (my neighborhood garbage collector)

Ever since then, I want to pull the plug on the on both the present and the past, but I just cant.

If Joe Willie is still connected to the team, how can I possibly leave?

All Pro
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4378325] Can't keep holding onto a memory.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

It was the greatest upset in American professional sports' history. Were you even born in 69?:rolleyes:

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

[QUOTE=2009fatman;4378337]It was the greatest upset in American professional sports' history. Were you even born in 69?[/QUOTE]

[IMG]https://files.nyu.edu/seh1/public/Barbie/GIF/JoeNamath-doll.jpg[/IMG]

I was 5 years old. I had a Joe Namath doll my father bought for me.

SAR I

[QUOTE=2009fatman;4378337]It was the greatest upset in American professional sports' history. Were you even born in 69?:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

First of all... The Gints upsetting the Pasts in 07 was a larger upset in the NFL/Pro sports...

But the greatest upset in sports is the Miracle On Ice, bar none...

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

[QUOTE=Schroy48;4378333]SAR, after the Jets double OT loss to Cleveland 25 years ago, I put all my Jets stuff into a big box and out on the street. The next morning my garbage was gone, but, the box was there with a note that read: "You might want to reconsider - Frank" (my neighborhood garbage collector)

Ever since then, I want to pull the plug on the on both the present and the past, but I just cant.

If Joe Willie is still connected to the team, how can I possibly leave?[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://www.megomuseum.com/megolibrary/department/images/namathblogpic.jpg[/IMG]

He had so many mod outfits.

SAR I

[QUOTE=SAR I;4378325][IMG]http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n114/srubenst/DSC02279.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n114/srubenst/DSC02282.jpg[/IMG]

My Super Bowl III gameday program and original ticket stub.

My AFL Championship Game program and original (full, unused) ticket.

Like I said, love the Jets more than you know, loved the whole "historic moment in AFL history" feel, proud of what Joe Namath accomplished, got a lot more memorabilia than this, cost me a pretty penny too. But now, 44 years and 0-4 in AFC Championship Games later, I just can't have it anymore.

Twas a great accomplishment, but what's gone on since is more important to me. Need to win it again. Can't keep holding onto a memory.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

That's pretty cool stuff SAR. I feel your pain.

[QUOTE=AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite;4378339]First of all... The Gints upsetting the Pasts in 07 was a larger upset in the NFL/Pro sports...

But the greatest upset in sports is the[B] Miracle On Ice[/B], bar none...[/QUOTE]

Absolutely, 100%

All Pro
    [QUOTE=AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite;4378339]First of all... The Gints upsetting the Pasts in 07 was a larger upset in the NFL/Pro sports...

But the greatest upset in sports is the Miracle On Ice, bar none...[/QUOTE]

Try reading the post first, I said "professional" sports.

It was a different time back in 69. The AFL was looked at as a bunch of amateurs back then by the main stream football media, and had gotten blown out in the first two SBs. You cant compare the two. The Colts were never in the game, The Jet offense along with Namaths quick release and play calling dominated that great NFL defense of the Colts the whole game. The Pats were in that SB game the whole way, and would have won if not for a fluke catch at the end.

If you think the Giant SB win was an historically bigger upset then the 69 Jet team, you're clueless.
    Last edited by 2009fatman; 02-28-2012 at 03:23 AM.