Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I made my wife watch the Namath doc - just so she understands

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite;4378339]First of all... The Gints upsetting the Pasts in 07 was a larger upset in the NFL/Pro sports...

But the greatest upset in sports is the Miracle On Ice, bar none...[/QUOTE]

Not really the Pats just beat the Giants 38-35 in the 07 regular season..

[QUOTE=AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite;4378339]First of all... The Gints upsetting the Pasts in 07 was a larger upset in the NFL/Pro sports...

[/QUOTE]

Not even close. The AFL was considered the minor leagues of football. Green Bay had crushed the previous two AFL teams in the first 2 super bowls and Baltimore was considered to be an even better team than them. Baltimore had a ferocious defense that was anhiliating everyone.

The Jets winning was like having the NFL Europe Champ beating a Super Bowl Champ today. And the Jets did it convincingly. The 16-7 score doesnt reflect how the Jets manhandled that team.

[QUOTE=SAR I;4377976]I have a better idea; maybe it's time the Jets figured out how to win one for us.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

THIS!

[QUOTE=kennyo7;4378404]Not even close. The AFL was considered the minor leagues of football. Green Bay had crushed the previous two AFL teams in the first 2 super bowls and Baltimore was considered to be an even better team than them. Baltimore had a ferocious defense that was anhiliating everyone.

The Jets winning was like having the NFL Europe Champ beating a Super Bowl Champ today. And the Jets did it convincingly. The 16-7 score doesnt reflect how the Jets manhandled that team.[/QUOTE]

Seriously, the Pats beating the Rams in '01 was a bigger upset than the Giants beating the Pats in '07. It's only significant because of the 19-0 stuff.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=kennyo7;4378404]Not even close. The AFL was considered the minor leagues of football. Green Bay had crushed the previous two AFL teams in the first 2 super bowls and Baltimore was considered to be an even better team than them. Baltimore had a ferocious defense that was anhiliating everyone.

The Jets winning was like having the NFL Europe Champ beating a Super Bowl Champ today. And the Jets did it convincingly. The 16-7 score doesnt reflect how the Jets manhandled that team.[/QUOTE]

+1

It would be like if the NY/NJ Hitmen of the XFL beat the Pittsbugh Steelers or something. It legitimized a league.

Sure the Pats were 18-0, but hadn't truly been dominant for quite a few weeks... It was a mega upset, but nothing compared to Jets/Colts.

But the Miracle on Ice is absolutley the biggest upset in sports history.

[QUOTE=AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite;4378339]First of all... [B]The Gints upsetting the Pasts in 07 was a larger upset in the NFL/Pro sports...[/B]
    But the greatest upset in sports is the Miracle On Ice, bar none...[/QUOTE]\

I may ( [B][I][U]may[/U][/I][/B]) give you the 1980 Olympics, but 07 doen't even come close to SB III!

I'll assume that you are to young to remember it or weren't born yet.

You really had to live it to understand it.

AFL vs NFL
    The New York thing ( established Giants etc.)
    The hate and jealousy of Namath
    The guarantee, which exasperated the hate and jealousy
    A much bigger stage than the miracle ( at least in the US)

and

Everyone telling an 8 year old kid in Ct. that Joe was a load mouth sissy boy, and that he and the inferior JETS had no chance against the mighty Colts of the mighty NFL

All Pro
    [QUOTE=ctjetfan;4378982]\

I may ( [B][I][U]may[/U][/I][/B]) give you the 1980 Olympics, but 07 doen't even come close to SB III!

I'll assume that you are to young to remember it or weren't born yet.

You really had to live it to understand it.

AFL vs NFL
    The New York thing ( established Giants etc.)
    The hate and jealousy of Namath
    The guarantee, which exasperated the hate and jealousy
    A much bigger stage than the miracle ( at least in the US)

and

Everyone telling an 8 year old kid in Ct. that Joe was a load mouth sissy boy, and that he and the inferior JETS had no chance against the mighty Colts of the mighty NFL[/QUOTE]

This. You get it!

I remember when I was a kid the only time my parents late me stay up late to watch Carson was when Joe was on.