Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How Much is Too Much at the Vets Office?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

How Much is Too Much at the Vets Office?

We have a lot of dog lovers here. I am interested in knowing what your "limit" is on spending for a sick dog. I hear some crazy numbers as far as what people have spent at the vets, sometimes for older dogs even. Do you play it by ear or do you have a number in mind?

I know it must be a heart-wrenching deal but you can't break the bank right? :huh:

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think it depends on the dog, the injury/illness, etc. My aunt just put down her dog (of 15 years), instead of giving it steroid injections to keep it alive, which would have cost her 1,500$, and is kind of inhumane if you saw the dog.

If my young lab had an injury, I'd probably pay to keep him healthy. My co-worker just spent 800$ on his chocolate lab (cancer).

I hope he/she is ok.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    ...oh thats easy...totally decided by my wife and kids...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FF2;4378075]We have a lot of dog lovers here. I am interested in knowing what your "limit" is on spending for a sick dog. I hear some crazy numbers as far as what people have spent at the vets, sometimes for older dogs even. Do you play it by ear or do you have a number in mind?

I know it must be a heart-wrenching deal but you can't break the bank right? :huh:[/QUOTE]

There is no number too high if the treatment actually helps. In other words, I've had surgery suggested for very old cats with cancer and declined because I didn't think it made sense to put the cat through it, not b/c of the expense. We don't have kids yet, my wife knew I was mental about my animals by the time we were serious, so I don't worry about it.

If you can afford it, and you just choose not to, that's pretty low, imo. Again, IF you can afford it.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Years back I spent $1500 for a blood transfusion on the family German-Sheperd. It only prolonged the inevitable and I had to put the dog down months later. The next German-Sheperd died from taking hip medication that destroyed its liver.

I havent been able to get another dog for fear of losing another one. Good luck.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FF2;4378075]We have a lot of dog lovers here. I am interested in knowing what your "limit" is on spending for a sick dog. I hear some crazy numbers as far as what people have spent at the vets, sometimes for older dogs even. Do you play it by ear or do you have a number in mind?

I know it must be a heart-wrenching deal but you can't break the bank right? :huh:[/QUOTE]

That's a tough one. I think if you're just delaying the inevitable, and inviting more suffering for the dog, then the answer is clear.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Since a dog is more loyal(then any one in your life) and truly your best friend . Money is no object if it can save them. My dog had nose cancer was not cheap. But he lived. Regardless you won't pay over 100 you cheap sob.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Like the others said, if you are only buying a few months than I think it is best to put the dog down, b.c at that point I think you are only doing that for yourself. Generally I think older dogs should just be put to sleep, especially if you are talking amputations and stuff like that.

Losing a dog sucks. But sometimes you just have to make the hard decision. The only thing worse than losing them is watching them suffer. I have dealt with human loss easier than I did when my last dog died. There is nothing like a really good dog.

I have never had a very sick younger dog, but I think if the vet believed they could recover and live a good life I would spend any amount of money to help them.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Spend nothing. You can get a fresh dog for free at the pound.

SAR I

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4378185]Spend nothing. You can get a fresh dog for free at the pound.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

but even at the pound they charge you for a dog.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FF2;4378187]but even at the pound they charge you for a dog.[/QUOTE]

It's a donation. Give them $1 and you're done. Consider a trade-in. This way you get the residual value. Brings it down to $0.70 cents or something.

SAR I

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=GMCJETS;4378105]Years back I spent $1500 for a blood transfusion on the family German-Sheperd. It only prolonged the inevitable and I had to put the dog down months later. The next German-Sheperd died from taking hip medication that destroyed its liver.

I havent been able to get another dog for fear of losing another one. Good luck.[/QUOTE]

That's why it would be so hard for me to get a dog. I love them and so does my wife, but I know it is devastating to some people. My aunt just put down her dog 2 months ago and it was terrible for her. She never had any kids, so she treated the dog like one.

Sorry about your Shepherds, amazing beautiful dogs.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4378188]It's a donation. Give them $1 and you're done. Consider a trade-in. This way you get the residual value. Brings it down to $0.70 cents or something.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

No even at shelters you pay hundreds for a dog. It's not like old days.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4378185]Spend nothing. You can get a fresh dog for free at the pound.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

This is the best way to go. Especially for first-time dog owners. Most shelter dogs are already house trained and you generally don't have to worry about leaving them alone when you go to work. A good shelter also makes sure they are healthy and have sound temperament.

I don't recommend anyone getting a puppy if they never had a puppy or dog before.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    A few years ago a cat we had developed hyperthyroidism. It was already an older cat, maybe 15 years old. Hyperthyroidism is pretty much a slow death sentence...the animal cannot take in enough nourishment...the body wastes away and it essentially starves to death over time.

Anyway, I'd grown up with cats and understood the cycle...they reach a certain age, they develop a serious enough illness, you say goodbye and get another cat. But my wife who had never had a pet in her life wouldn't hear of it. Over 2k in meds we spent in 18 months, just to watch the poor animal waste away and live its final months in agony.

Never again.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FF2;4378191]No even at shelters you pay hundreds for a dog. It's not like old days.[/QUOTE]

Not if you wait until the last day before the pound's monthly D-Day.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    A couple of years ago my 7 year old border collie was having issues going to the bathroom and it looked like she was in some pain. I figured it was a urinary tract infection and had my son drive her to the vet.

An hour later, he pulls in and I see that he had been crying. Turned out that she had cancer. I felt like a piece of crap for sending my son down there but she seemed so healthy that a serious illness never occurred to me.

I drove back down to the vet and he said that she had cancer. They could do surgery and te cost would be about $1,500 or so. I was definitely going to do it but he said that at best, it would only prolong her life for a little while and the surgery was extensive and painful. I asked how long with the surgery and he said a few months. Without, a few days.

I decided that I would bring her home and let her enjoy the time she had left rather than put her through major surgery.

We were only home about an hour when she began doubling over in pain about once an hour.

The family gathered around and pamprered her all night. I cooked her a big ass steak and got her a big bone to chew. We all laid around her and petted her all night.

In the morning, the pain had increased significantly and I took her down to te vet. It was the first time i ever had to put a pet down and I cried like a b****.

It's the worst part about having a dog but the joy they bring you is worth the pain.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=thebigragu;4378169]Since a dog is more loyal(then any one in your life) and truly your best friend . Money is no object if it can save them. My dog had nose cancer was not cheap. But he lived. Regardless you won't pay over 100 you cheap sob.[/QUOTE]

lol, +1000

Veteran
    North Shore of Long Island. East Setauket
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldnt know i love my golden he is the best i would put him down if it was only gonna help for a crappy couple months thats not cool and he would be extremely mad hes a wild dog hes like a human being honestly

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

I spent about 10% of my annual salary on my Berner when she was diagnosed with cancer. Didn't have a limit in mind at the time, but it occurred to me after she passed that anything more than that would start to get very problematic.