Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How Much is Too Much at the Vets Office?

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=thebigragu;4378169]Since a dog is more loyal(then any one in your life) and truly your best friend . Money is no object if it can save them. My dog had nose cancer was not cheap. But he lived. Regardless you won't pay over 100 you cheap sob.[/QUOTE]

Once heard a comedian's bit on this.

He said "You know how to find out who who loves you more? Try an experiment. Lock you dog in the car trunk. Lock your wife in the car trunk. The one that's happiest to see you when you let them out is the one that loves you more." :D

I have a golden that's like a family member (hell, I like my dog a LOT more than a lot of my extended family), I'm not sure I know what that number is.

_

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=FF2®;4378075]
    I know it must be a heart-wrenching deal but you can't break the bank right? :huh:[/QUOTE]

well if you have 50 grand or over and the vet wants three grand, that's not really breaking the bank;)

Jets Insider VIP
    My family had to put our cat down earlier this year. Poor guy was only 8 but just stopped eating. Exploratory surgery was an option, but absolutely no guarantee, so we did the humane thing.

Good luck FF2.

[QUOTE=SAR I;4378185]Spend nothing. You can get a fresh dog for free at the pound.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

:slice:

[QUOTE=Dimitri_0515;4378190]That's why it would be so hard for me to get a dog. I love them and so does my wife, but I know it is devastating to some people. My aunt just put down her dog 2 months ago and it was terrible for her. She never had any kids, so she treated the dog like one.

Sorry about your Shepherds, amazing beautiful dogs.[/QUOTE]

Thanks they are trully loyal dogs. My family has been thinking seriously about getting another dog but it wont be a sheperd, wife doesnt want the hair considering a Rottweiler or a French Mastiff. Its a tough decision.

[QUOTE=FF2®;4378075]We have a lot of dog lovers here. I am interested in knowing what your "limit" is on spending for a sick dog. I hear some crazy numbers as far as what people have spent at the vets, sometimes for older dogs even. Do you play it by ear or do you have a number in mind?

I know it must be a heart-wrenching deal but you can't break the bank right? :huh:[/QUOTE]

You might be the enemy, but I love dogs too much.

Give em some of this...Canine Whole Body Support in their food, Catalyn (2-4 per day), and Calcifood Wafers (1-2 per day)...brush their teeth, keep gums clean....and they will rarely if EVER get sick.

That sh*t in the pet stores is mostly processed garbage, even if they call it "natural"...1 cent of byproducts they sell for $1....and they make pets very sick...over time. Interesting that dogs are now getting the SAME diseases their owners get, isn't it? Why? Because they are eating the SAME "foods".

These supplements are all made from WHOLE FOODS...can't get them anywhere else either.

Feed your dogs this and let me know whether their coats aren't shinier, their joints don't hurt anymore (the calcifood is real bone, not heated sawdust bone that's pressed back together), and they almost seem like puppies again...all within a month.

[url]http://www.standardprocess.com/display/VetFormulas.spi[/url]

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

My choco lab was bought from a dirty local pet shop. He was very ill at a young age basically from eating his own excrement. It took 3 visits to finally get them to culture his sputum which revealed the e-coli---treatable with much cheaper antibiotics than what I had been using. Last yr he developed a bad lung infection. The Xrays and cultures cost > $3G. He still suffers from emphysema and gets the infection flareups. I now know how to treat it with antibiotics and theophylline. He'll never be perfectly healthy but he leads a pretty happy life.
    Last edited by JumbalayaJet; 02-27-2012 at 11:12 PM.

[QUOTE=GMCJETS;4378105]Years back I spent $1500 for a blood transfusion on the family German-Sheperd. It only prolonged the inevitable and I had to put the dog down months later. The next German-Sheperd died from taking hip medication that destroyed its liver.

I havent been able to get another dog for fear of losing another one. Good luck.[/QUOTE]

Sorry for your losses..... my wife and I have a 3 1/2 yr old GSD... adopted him on my birthday last year, had him almost a yr now. Smartest, most loving, loyal, protective dog Ive ever had. Im not looking forward to that day, hopefully many years from now; he's already had that kind of impact on our lives.

All League
    [QUOTE=Dimitri_0515;4378190]That's why it would be so hard for me to get a dog. I love them and so does my wife, but I know it is devastating to some people. My aunt just put down her dog 2 months ago and it was terrible for her. She never had any kids, so she treated the dog like one.

Sorry about your Shepherds, amazing beautiful dogs.[/QUOTE]

Getting a dog was one of the best things I ever did- by far. I'll be devastated when he dies but if its from old age (or being put down due to an age related illness), he's lived a good life and he blessed my family's life. At the end of the day you can't ask for much more than that.

Not to sound Oprah-like but when the time comes that you do lose your dog, you can't "replace" it but there is always room for another in your heart.

I grew up with hunting dogs but went smaller when I had my own house and kids. I did do a fair amount of research as to breed longevity and health trends and chose a West Highland Terrier.

The person who coined the phrase 'money can't buy happiness' never owned a dog.
    Last edited by PatriotReign; 02-28-2012 at 08:19 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=BushyTheBeaver;4378217]A few years ago a cat we had developed hyperthyroidism. It was already an older cat, maybe 15 years old. Hyperthyroidism is pretty much a slow death sentence...the animal cannot take in enough nourishment...the body wastes away and it essentially starves to death over time.

Anyway, I'd grown up with cats and understood the cycle...they reach a certain age, they develop a serious enough illness, you say goodbye and get another cat. But my wife who had never had a pet in her life wouldn't hear of it. Over 2k in meds we spent in 18 months, just to watch the poor animal waste away and live its final months in agony.

Never again.[/QUOTE]

Very similar to what we're going through now, only our old cat (about 13 y.o.) seems to have come through the medical process fairly well. Cost us approx. $6,000 and she's still skinny but at least has an appetite. Before that, she had stopped eating and was hiding so that we couldn't even find her in our own house (preparing to die is how I looked at it). My wife and daughter are too emotionally attached to this cat to have not considered medical intervention, even though it's a lot for an old animal.

Jets Insider VIP
    I've had 12 different dogs growing up. Most of them were stolen...as I lived on the property of a popular "tourist" destination :rolleyes: We'd come home from church on Sundays and find our dogs "missing". Bastards.

Personally, I would never spend too much prolonging a sick animals life. IMO...

All League
    On a side note does anyone know where you can get pet meds relatively cheap online? The vet charges me 8 bucks per Heartworm pill and the Frontline is quite pricey.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=PatriotReign;4378582]On a side note does anyone know where you can get pet meds relatively cheap online? The vet charges me 8 bucks per Heartworm pill and the Frontline is quite pricey.[/QUOTE]

I buy all my stuff from petmeds.com.

About 1/2 what my vet charges. My dog is on Deramaxx for arthritis/hip/joint pain and it's LITERALLY 50% what my vet charges.

_

All League
    [QUOTE=JStokes;4378632]I buy all my stuff from petmeds.com.

About 1/2 what my vet charges. My dog is on Deramaxx for arthritis/hip/joint pain and it's LITERALLY 50% what my vet charges.

_[/QUOTE]

Don't you need the RX?

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=BRONX JET;4378669]Don't you need the RX?[/QUOTE]

Yes, I get the RX from my vet, but I buy through petmeds.com.

I don't think a vet can force you to buy meds from them.

Only issue is when you need refills, sometimes the vet will make you come back in for a checkup to see if the meds are having any adverse effects. My vet is pretty good and gives me scripts for a 6 month supply--but she wants to see my dog 2x a year because Deramaxx can affect liver function.

_

[QUOTE=SAR I;4378188]It's a donation. Give them $1 and you're done. Consider a trade-in. This way you get the residual value. Brings it down to $0.70 cents or something.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

Would LEASING be an option here?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Why is it $1500 seems the magic number for a vet no matter what the ailment? I have family that just recently put down a dog, and I think the fee associated with trying to fix a blockage was $1500. This sounds very fishy after reading so many people saying the same number.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=jetswin;4378695]Why is it $1500 seems the magic number for a vet no matter what the ailment? I have family that just recently put down a dog, and I think the fee associated with trying to fix a blockage was $1500. This sounds very fishy after reading so many people saying the same number.[/QUOTE]

The Vetenarian's Association of America must have done some market research and a sensitivity analysis and found that number to be the tippiing point.

My buddy had his dog's cancer surgery done for...wait for it...$1500.

_

Veteran
    A few years ago I spent $381 on a partial leg amputation only to have him come up missing a week after his staples came out. Also, my Wiemariner chased off a Mtn Lion 1 month after having her fixed. I guess you know what happens when a dog catches a mtn lion. Poor girl.
    The local Game and fish claim they're not still here, but a dozen of us have seen her and she is whelping youngn's on my 80 acres. Supposedly they leave as soon as the young can travel and go higher up in the mtns.
    So my luck with vet money has all been wasted, but if the dog is part of your family, you do all you can.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=PatriotReign;4378582]On a side note does anyone know where you can get pet meds relatively cheap online? The vet charges me 8 bucks per Heartworm pill and the Frontline is quite pricey.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=JStokes;4378632]I buy all my stuff from petmeds.com.

_[/QUOTE]

My vet will very often come within a few dollars of Petmeds.com. I'm happy to give them the business at that rate, even if it still costs a bit more.

Our dog is the first I've had since I was in grammar school. I originally got her to be something of a therapy dog for our daughter. I put in a crapload of time and effort training her for that purpose and have bonded with her like I would never have imagined. The experience has also taught me a lot about myself. I could not begin to guess how much all of that is worth, but as I am not wealthy, there is a finite amount. I wish there was not.:cool:

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=RazorJet;4378744]on my 80 acres...[/QUOTE]

are you a cattle rancher? what do you do with 80 acres in Arkansas?