Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: dontari poe

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan66 View Post
    if we can't bring pouha back do we try and get dontari poe? he totally killed it at the combine did anyone else see his numbers? 354 and ran a 4.84 faster then vontaze burfict
    because we just drafted 2 DLineman. If we are going to replace Pouha it should be a FA IMO.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJets View Post
    All i know is that Memphis allowed 191 rush yards per game -- 97 out of 120 FBS teams -- in Conference freakin USA. I haven't seen much of him on film, but I do know all those yards did not come from running outside. He might be strong and fast, but can he use his hands and have good footwork?
    +1. He had just 5 sacks and 21 TFL in 30 games vs weak competition. Suh dwarfed those numbers and he was playing with the big boys. This dude is a workout warrior, no production. No thanks.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    He's a planet player, no two ways about it. But getting him on our stacked DL would be overkill.

Zach Brown, Ingram et al are players who'd see the field more and fill a definite position of need

"Quoth the Raven , nevermore..."
    Please tell me how the Jet's dline is stacked? So that taking a dlineman in the 1st rd is overkill. Pouha is not signed, DeVito may be a cap casualty and is going into his last year. , Ellis did not show enough to think that he could fill in for Pouha at that level.

The Giants Dline is stacked.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    don't mean to hijack, but what possible fa replacement are there for puoha that can allow a different direction to be taken draft day 1.

don't know much about poe, just his combine. If he can be a ngata/ wilfork. type then we have to take him. this guys make 3-4 def spectacular.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Play2Win View Post
    don't mean to hijack, but what possible fa replacement are there for puoha that can allow a different direction to be taken draft day 1.

don't know much about poe, just his combine. If he can be a ngata/ wilfork. type then we have to take him. this guys make 3-4 def spectacular.
    Well they don't make the defense spectacular on their own because the Pats are always at the bottom of the league.

But what makes Wilfork and Ngata great is they are simply great players who also provide on the pass rush.

If we let Pouha go it's because we have to save money at some positions on the field. Especially considering we drafted another nose tackle relatively high recently.

I'd almost be inclined to franchise him and then determine over next year whether Kenrick Ellis can replace him. If so, let Pouha go and you avoid the bad contract.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree franchising puoha is probaly the best way to go and then determine if ellis is the answer.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Please tell me how the Jet's dline is stacked? So that taking a dlineman in the 1st rd is overkill. Pouha is not signed, DeVito may be a cap casualty and is going into his last year. , Ellis did not show enough to think that he could fill in for Pouha at that level.

Going on the assumption that Pouha is re-signed (that's an assumption, but we'll know before the draft), they have:

Pouha
    K. Ellis
    Devito (Not going to be a cap casualty)
    Mo Wilk
    M. Dixon
    Ropati
    Tevaseau

I'm not comparing them to the Giants and perhaps stacked is not the proper term....I'd go more with "set". The Jets have 7 guys from last year's team who are returning. All, except one, are 27 or younger. It stands to reason that guys like K. Ellis, Wilk, Ropati and Dixon (and even Teveseau) will benefit from the extra year under their belt as well as a full off season.

I am more than happy entering the 2012 season with those guys on the Dline. 5 of those guys had significant meaningful snaps and Ellis and MTV saw action as well.

Of those guys, I can see Marcus Dixon taking a real step forward. I like what I saw from him last year. If the Jets can find a real pass rusher (whether its Maybin or a guy like Ingram - ideally both), I think the guys from the list above will also see their games improve.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post

Look at the above post from crasherino. You stand corrected.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn't hate the pick, but only if the best Pass Rushers are off the board (very likely)

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    If he is the best player on board yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan66 View Post
    if we can't bring pouha back do we try and get dontari poe? he totally killed it at the combine did anyone else see his numbers? 354 and ran a 4.84 faster then vontaze burfict

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think one of the things mayock said about Poe was that he was the only talent on that line and was doubled and tripled teamed plus he moved all over the front line. This lead teams to run away from him. . I never saw a memphis game so i cant confirm this myself
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJets View Post
    All i know is that Memphis allowed 191 rush yards per game -- 97 out of 120 FBS teams -- in Conference freakin USA. I haven't seen much of him on film, but I do know all those yards did not come from running outside. He might be strong and fast, but can he use his hands and have good footwork?