Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dontari poe

dontari poe

if we can't bring pouha back do we try and get dontari poe? he totally killed it at the combine did anyone else see his numbers? 354 and ran a 4.84 faster then vontaze burfict

Yea, the guy is literally a beast. Benched a combine high 44 reps too.

Veteran
    Just drafted a nose last season in Ellis, doubt they'd draft another one

think this guy has ability to play NT or DE in 3-4. Pretty impressive day at the combine. he will be shooting up draft boards, however, lots of front 7 talent and OL talent for jets to choose from on pick 16.

All League
    He'll be gone to either Carolina or Kansas City, imo.

He's a planet player, no two ways about it. But getting him on our stacked DL would be overkill.

Zach Brown, Ingram et al are players who'd see the field more and fill a definite position of need

"Quoth the Raven , nevermore..."

All Pro
    he is very NGATA ish, you can move him to DE

Have a feeling this is where the Jets would like to go 16 if Pouha is gone. That is it, and nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    Have a feeling this is where the Jets would like to go 16 if Pouha is gone. That is it, and nothing more.
    I wouldn't mind seeing that, it would be then poe + FA like avril possibly, or resign pouha and draft a rush LB at 16 (perry, mercilus, etc.)

Mike Mayock mentioned that Poe is a anywhere player!
    I love the idea of keeping Pouha, draft Poe, that gives you a starting lineup of Wilkerson, Pouha & Poe.
    That's a lot of beef up front.
    Sign Dan Conner as a FA
    Go best available linebacker in round 2

* We DO NOT need another high profile receiver! Let free agency decide the top money receivers, grab a veteran.

All i know is that Memphis allowed 191 rush yards per game -- 97 out of 120 FBS teams -- in Conference freakin USA. I haven't seen much of him on film, but I do know all those yards did not come from running outside. He might be strong and fast, but can he use his hands and have good footwork?

Pouha is a solid player, he is in now way elite. Spending big money on a player like him is a waist. He is 33 years old. the Jets need to get younger at this spot. Time to move on.

Rookie
    Let's not forget DeVito will be a Free agent next year as well. Wilkerson, Ellis, and Poe would be a devastating front line.

Hall Of Fame
    I think Poe is going to be a very good player for some team, but that team will not be the Jets.

The Jets drafted Ellis last year who about the same size as Poe with similar speed and agility. Ellis' only problem has been that he is 6'5" and he hasnt learned how to play with a body that big yet. Needs to get coached up. If Ellis didn't have his legal woes he would have been easily drafted in the first-round last year ahead of where Poe is going to go this year.

All League
    Mayock had a 2nd round grade on Kenrick Ellis before his legal issues were known. Still, he was highly thought of.

Now Poe is the better prospect but it'd still be a redundant pick taking him with Ellis locked up for the next few years. We have way more important needs to fill.

Quote Originally Posted by ozu View Post
    Mayock had a 2nd round grade on Kenrick Ellis before his legal issues were known. Still, he was highly thought of.

Now Poe is the better prospect but it'd still be a redundant pick taking him with Ellis locked up for the next few years. We have way more important needs to fill.
    Poe is not going to necessarily be a NT. He could easily be a 3-4 DE and there are drawing comparison to Ngata already.... Think the Jets would have to consider a player with his ability or a player like Cox, regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I think Poe is going to be a very good player for some team, but that team will not be the Jets.

The Jets drafted Ellis last year who about the same size as Poe with similar speed and agility. Ellis' only problem has been that he is 6'5" and he hasnt learned how to play with a body that big yet. Needs to get coached up. If Ellis didn't have his legal woes he would have been easily drafted in the first-round last year ahead of where Poe is going to go this year.
    Agreed. The lockout hurt Ellis..I think he will contribute next season

Exactly.. Poe could play the Pouha position, but he certainly could play the Devito position as well. Much like Ngata. Ngata is not a nose tackle.. He plays DT in that scheme and Poe would do the same.

Wilkerson has that DE position locked up for sure.

I have to watch Poe on tape more though.. I don't care how good he is against the run, he must be a decent pass rusher as well.

All League
    I think any comparison to Ngata is very premature.

per CBS sports... one veteran offensive line coach who faced Memphis NT Dontari Poe in college says Poe showed first-round talent in Conference USA, but had a suspect motor.
    "He's probably the best talent I've seen in several years," the coach said. "He took plays off and wasn't a great effort guy, but he is a freakish talent. He took off more than most. He did get better last year than he was the year before. He just was never that productive, but I heard they didn't require him to do that much. He was definitely someone I took into account with schemes. ... I'm not at all surprised to hear that he's blowing up at the Combine."

a top talent with no effort? big ass red flag there. a lot of guys who don't bust it early never really learn to.